Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Jim1611 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
We get to sit by and watch inflation kill everything we have and are working for. If lumber prices hadn't gotten bad enough here the child molester is now doubling tariffs on lumber imported from Canada.
https://markets.businessinsider.com...ariffs-despite-rising-prices-2021-5?op=1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
It's about goddam time the American timber industry got a break. Canadian timber is not priced at fair market value and hasn't been for over forty years. The sorry suck ass politicians made backroom deals with the UAW for votes, and then NAFTA and then USMCA to allow Canada to dump govt subsidized lumber down here to build Canada's lumber industry. Basically Canada practically GIVES their govt timber from Crown Lands to their mills...in the US mills have to buy govt and private timber at real world fair market value by bidding. No business can compete under a playing field that tilted.
Don't get me wrong, I hate Brandon as bad as the next guy, and really I wish the govt would stay the hell out of picking winners and losers in the business world...but loggers, millmen and truckers have been getting screwed for so long, they think it's the new normal. Meanwhile, the west is burning up more timber than we would consume...let's go Uncle Sam.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Maybe the mill here can get started back up and the county population can recover from the 10% downturn this last census?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Maybe the mill here can get started back up and the county population can recover from the 10% downturn this last census?

Yeah...but I doubt prices will come down.

Everybody good with that? Buying American goods at higher prices?

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Maybe the US government shouldn't TAX the lumber being harvested on government lands...

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Anyone know how many mills closed because of tree huggers and the spotted owl in the last 40 years in Northern California?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Works for Big Pharma.

Last edited by SAcharlie; 12/02/21.

The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Who will work in the mill when you can live large on unemployment

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
It's an interesting situation when one of the corporations having a tariff applied to their lumber is Weyerhauser. Another is Louisiana Pacific. These companies may be able to backdoor some of their product by having it milled offshore on Korean or Chinese ships. This will be just fine with Joe and his supporters. This tariff plan is window dressing, nothing more. GD

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by SAcharlie

Works for Big Pharma.

You must be tired sweetie.

Go lay down.

I am MAGA.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Yeah...but I doubt prices will come down.

You damn right i am, fugg China, Taiwan and canada

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

I am. While we’re at it I’d tariff the hell out of everything coming from China and Mexico too. One of the few legitimate functions of the federal government is regulating international trade, the founding fathers realized business a trying to compete with other countries employing unfair trade practices will quickly be out of business.

Everybody wants cheap foreign schitt but then complains when their jobs go away. Oh well, we can just put them on welfare or they can get a “service job” since we don’t actually produce anything here. They should all just learn to code. Oh wait, those jobs were all taken by H1b visa guys from India because they’ll work for 1/4 pay so they can bring 25 family members from the Mumbai slums.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Since 1978 no less than 6 mills in this county have folded. Thousands of family wage jobs gone. 3 of the 6 mills had their own timberlands and were self sufficient. Then, after the treaty with Canada was signed and the economy was totally destroyed, the [bleep] in DC said, uh oh, we didn't see that coming, let's give these counties that are mostly owned by the govt some "in lieu of property taxes" money. They did, and for about a decade those payments helped county roads and schools, then a new administration was elected, the DC [bleep] said, these rural counties are voting red...why are we giving them money? With the stroke of a pen, the "in lieu of property tax" money was gone. Schools closed, the average age of a Siskiyou County snowplow is 34 years old (for which the county has to pay penalty for old polluter diesel engines). Does anybody wonder why Jefferson State HATES big govt?

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

I am. While we’re at it I’d tariff the hell out of everything coming from China and Mexico too. One of the few legitimate functions of the federal government is regulating international trade, the founding fathers realized business a trying to compete with other countries employing unfair trade practices will quickly be out of business.

Everybody wants cheap foreign schitt but then complains when their jobs go away. Oh well, we can just put them on welfare or they can get a “service job” since we don’t actually produce anything here. They should all just learn to code. Oh wait, those jobs were all taken by H1b visa guys from India because they’ll work for 1/4 pay so they can bring 25 family members from the Mumbai slums.

Alright....just checking.

Protectionism being anathema to conservatives and all that.

I am MAGA.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Since 1978 no less than 6 mills in this county have folded. Thousands of family wage jobs gone. 3 of the 6 mills had their own timberlands and were self sufficient. Then, after the treaty with Canada was signed and the economy was totally destroyed, the [bleep] in DC said, uh oh, we didn't see that coming, let's give these counties that are mostly owned by the govt some "in lieu of property taxes" money. They did, and for about a decade those payments helped county roads and schools, then a new administration was elected, the DC [bleep] said, these rural counties are voting red...why are we giving them money? With the stroke of a pen, the "in lieu of property tax" money was gone. Schools closed, the average age of a Siskiyou County snowplow is 34 years old (for which the county has to pay penalty for old polluter diesel engines). Does anybody wonder why Jefferson State HATES big govt?

Thanks. Growing up i watched a lot of them close between Redding and the Oregon border.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Didn't Biden and the rest of the dems (and some Republicans) loudly howl when Trump put tariffs on China. Seems old Joe and those who vote for him have short or corrupt memories. Said it was bad for business. Well, unless Biden is doing it.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

They’ve got this new thing out called The Constitution. It mentions something in there about tariffs and borders. Call me funny but I kinda thought paying attention to the constitution went along with being conservative.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

They’ve got this new thing out called The Constitution. It mentions something in there about tariffs and borders. Call me funny but I kinda thought paying attention to the constitution went along with being conservative.

You must have a remodel planned.

Is that in the constitution?

I am MAGA.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Conrad might have a different view if it was hundreds of trucks and trains a week roaring south over the Canada border hauling beef, pork and lamb all raised to butcher weight on Canadian govt free hay...because that's what it amounts to.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

You must have a remodel planned.

Is that in the constitution?

No, I own a bunch of timberland and am tired of getting nothing for my timber because Canadians are allowed to dump theirs on the US market.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

108 members (6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 14idaho, 01Foreman400, afisher, 6 invisible), 1,471 guests, and 827 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,324
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.