Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Originally Posted by Salty303
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Conrad might have a different view if it was hundreds of trucks and trains a week roaring south over the Canada border hauling beef, pork and lamb all raised to butcher weight on Canadian govt free hay...because that's what it amounts to.

Good to know could you direct me to where I can find some of this Canadian government hay? There aren't any government farms anywhere but free is free I need the skinny on this

I was just making a ridiculous analogy scenario equating 'free hay' to stupid low stumpage prices Canadian mills pay for raw logs. Trying to show JC that it's an unlevel playing field, regardless of the commodity, hence the need for tariffs if one side ain't playin' fair. Outfits like West Fraser and Mac and Bloe have created an empire in our lifetimes with nearly free timber.

I gotcha flint, I was messing around as well..

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Jim1611
We get to sit by and watch inflation kill everything we have and are working for. If lumber prices hadn't gotten bad enough here the child molester is now doubling tariffs on lumber imported from Canada.
https://markets.businessinsider.com...ariffs-despite-rising-prices-2021-5?op=1

F J B

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

J
Jim1611 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by tikkanut
We get to sit by and watch inflation kill everything we have and are working for. If lumber prices hadn't gotten bad enough here the child molester is now doubling tariffs on lumber imported from Canada.

F J B

?

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

F J B

?

Lets Go Brandon

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

F J B

?

Fugk Joe Biden?

IC B2

J
Jim1611 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J

F J B

?

Lets Go Brandon

grin You sailed that one right over my head. I'm in full agreement!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jim1611;
Good evening to you sir, I hope this finds you well.

I'm going out on a limb here and not meaning to speak for any other poster, but typically these days, that would mean "Fornicate Joe Biden", would it not?

That's just a guess from across the medicine line and if I'm wrong then for sure I apologize to our picture taking and Toyota 4x4ing 'Fire friend from Utah.

All the best to you all as the Christmas Season approaches.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If Trump had invaded Canada like I asked, "please invade at once this Trudeau is nuts" ....... you would have lots of lumber, a 2x4 would still be 10 bucks though.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by 673
If Trump had invaded Canada like I asked, "please invade at once this Trudeau is nuts" ....... you would have lots of lumber, a 2x4 would still be 10 bucks though.

Pears sent.

I am MAGA.
J
Jim1611 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Jim1611;
Good evening to you sir, I hope this finds you well.

I'm going out on a limb here and not meaning to speak for any other poster, but typically these days, that would mean "Fornicate Joe Biden", would it not?

That's just a guess from across the medicine line and if I'm wrong then for sure I apologize to our picture taking and Toyota 4x4ing 'Fire friend from Utah.

All the best to you all as the Christmas Season approaches.

Dwayne

Good evening to you as well Dwayne. Your assessment is spot on. The sentiment seems to be gaining ground everywhere we look too. No apologies needed either. The old saying give a person enough rope and they'll hang themselves applies to the occupant at the oval office.

Best of wishes to you and yours at Christmas time too!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by 673

Pears sent.

Jim;
I appreciate that a lot sir, especially since that recalcitrant black bear ate all our pears and wrecked the tree for good measure this year.

Thanks much!!

Dwayne

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by 673

Pears sent.

Jim;
I appreciate that a lot sir, especially since that recalcitrant black bear ate all our pears and wrecked the tree for good measure this year.

Thanks much!!

Dwayne

My Aunt sends a box of pears every fall.

Williams Sonoma or some such thing.

They are probably expensive....but she is well to do.

...and I think the rest of the family secretly feels bad for us.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for the reminder to order a couple of pear trees to plant in the orchard next spring.

Bartlett? Bosque? Red?

Mmmmnn? Decisions decisions.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Geno;
Good evening to you my cyber friend, I hope you're healing up is nearly complete and you're all doing well.

Here's a link to a reasonable breakdown of a few varieties.

https://confessionsofadietitian.com/2012/11/bosc-bartlett-anjou-and-red/

I quite like eating fresh pears, but don't prefer canned that much, so I'd say it'll depend on what you want to do with them?

That said, my folks used to do dried pears that were quite good, though I'd be guessing as to what variety they were.

I'm thinking about more apple trees in the spring because, well why not, right?

All the best to you all as the Christmas Season starts.

Dwayne

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Thanks Dwayne,

I love dried pears so maybe I should make sure I get a variety good for that. Assuming I live long enough to enjoy them!

I like them all it would seem. Place I lived in WA had some growing along the road that were free, that made them even better. Deer loved them too.

And Christmas is still a ways off here I think. 65F yesterday, 63F today. But, possibly snow on Sunday evening/Monday morning, Yay!!

Enjoy your evening up there, I've got a few things to do for now.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dwayne,
Thanks, I was curious.

My understanding was it's extremely difficult to forge, and heat treating
pretty much requires an oven and cry.

Glad you are the one grinding it.
I'd screw it up, no way I have the patience to keep it cool.
You gotta be removing a pile of steel to get down to those knives.
And yes, I'm sure you eat abrasives bringing hard D2.

Makes sense it wouldn't be too hard.
Toughness is pretty important in a planer.
Brittle could kill someone when metal gets in there.

Been on a circular sawmill when we found steel in a log.
Everybody hitting the floor when the carbide teeth and holders
start leaving the saw a full speed. There were several patched holes in the
roof where a few had left the building.

How we that for a turn back toward the OP topic?

Hope you and yours have a Merry Christmas!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Thank goodness for affordable housing as well as all the democrats and Biden's empty promise

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
They have been working on cutting every pine in GA for a while now. Looks like they will get the rest before we know it.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I am less than one kilometer...

Dwayne

You lost 98% of the audience at Kilometer...

----------------------------------------------------

Dwayne... whoever taught you to type... and the manners that you deliver in your prose... must be the finest sort of people... and should be thanked.

IMHO... you could write about the detonation of a thermonuclear device and it would be most eloquent.

Please carry on.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
CashisKing;
Good morning to you sir, I hope that wherever this finds you that it finds you well.

Thank you once again sir for your very kind words, I do appreciate them and will do my best to deserve them in future posts.

Regarding my and perhaps most of the readers' struggle with the metric system sir, I am keenly aware of the struggle and for me it is real.

As a child of the late '60's and '70's, I grew up with miles and Imperial liquid measure and then attempted the metric conversion therapy beginning in 1975.

Here's part of the problem though Cash....

Where I was in Saskatchewan, there are roads or road allowance every mile, not kilometer and the fields are in acres, not hectares, so one was forced to do mental gymnastics explaining to anyone how to get or set anything and anywhere! eek

This all resulted in a measuring system in many of us that only we are privy to and then only on occasion.

For instance I can make sense of outside temperatures in Celsius, but the house temperatures need to be set with Fahrenheit to make any sense to me whatsoever.

While I am beginning to understand vehicular fuel consumption in liters per 100 kilometers, on my old '03 Dodge pickup which came out of Pennsylvania and thus has an odometer and speedometer in miles/miles per hour, I'm still converting how many liters of diesel into Imperial gallons and then dividing that by miles. crazy

When up in the mountains and fooling with the GPS app on my phone, it makes no sense to me whatsoever to look at how many meters the elevation is, but I can sorta/kinda know how far it is to the truck or next waypoint in meters. How silly is that I ask you sir? shocked

For much of my working life I was in the cabinet industry, where we'd measure your cabinets in standard inches, because Canadian houses are still all built that way, then would take dimensioned lumber and sheet goods which were also in standard inches, convert it all to metric because all the machines were European, build metric cabinet boxes and doors and finally install them into houses that were in standard inches once more.

My goodness I just read that last bit back to myself and now I'm confused about my past confusion..... laugh laugh laugh

Our daughters who grew up entirely metric will often ask me a question that involves temperature or mileage and then look blankly as I respond in the numeric system that currently makes the most sense to me in my mind.

The one small glimmer of justice in this all sir is that our eldest works in the estimating department of a large construction company, so she is now doing the same thing, as in how many cubic meters of concrete will be required for that many square feet of a given pour. grin

I do thank you again for your continued kind words and hope that you and yours will enjoy a wonderful Christmas Season.

Dwayne

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (007FJ, 6mmCreedmoor, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 12 invisible), 1,472 guests, and 876 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,311
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.