Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Watching the Alec Baldwin interview on TV last night got me wondering if a single action prop gun would fire by just releasing the hammer part way from full cock? I only own double action revolvers and I just tried it on my S&W M34 and the hammer does fall all the way forward without pulling the trigger.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Windfall
Watching the Alec Baldwin interview on TV last night got me wondering if a single action prop gun would fire by just releasing the hammer part way from full cock? I only own double action revolvers and I just tried it on my S&W M34 and the hammer does fall all the way forward without pulling the trigger.

It is possible, if the sear notches are worn or damaged then the answer is yes.
I've seen it happen.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Even if the once in a million "could" happen..... there is still his responsibility to insure safe handling, check whats loaded, never point at a person, yada yada yada yada yada..... .Why didnt he say this weeks ago? Because is lawyer and PR people are looking for the anti gun nuts to support him and come to his defense. I hope he does jail time.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
According to something I read on line, it was an Italian clone of Colt SAA. Depending on its age and manufacturer, it may have had a transfer bar, in which case there is no way that revolver could have fired without pulling the trigger.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I wondered about that transfer bar. I rather like the looks of the hammers with the pointed firing pins and I'm sure those would have been on the authentic Colts back in the day.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by jwp475
It is possible, if the sear notches are worn or damaged then the answer is yes.
I've seen it happen.

This, especially if the gun bas been abused by fanning, which is pretty likely given the fact that we're talking about a gun that's been used in Hollywood.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Remington40x
According to something I read on line, it was an Italian clone of Colt SAA. Depending on its age and manufacturer, it may have had a transfer bar, in which case there is no way that revolver could have fired without pulling the trigger.

That scumbag and his lawyers are lying sacks of schit.

Hope he ges buried under the jailhouse.

Last edited by local_dirt; 12/03/21.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

A Pietta, according to what I've read.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If the nose of the trigger (sear) or the full cock notch AND the 1/2 cock notch AND the "safety notch" are all broken out, then yes it's possible. But if the 1/2 cock or the 1/4 cock notches are OK and the sear is not broken, a slip off from full cock will get caught in one of the other 2 notches.

However in Baldwins case it still had NOTHING to do with the fact that he pointed or aimed a gun loader with at least 1 LIVE ROUND at the woman, and if any of YOU had done that, not matter how innocent your thought process was at the time, you'd be in jail and an investigation would be going on while you sat there unless you had enough bail money to get out out.

Anyway we cut it, he DID cock the hammer with a live round in the cylinder and point or aim it at the woman. In movie making pointing guns at cameras is a common activity, so we need to take that into consideration no matter how scummy Baldwin is and how much he's a traitor to this country.

So acknowledging that, the true issue is about the multi-tiered justice system in the USA. If you are a "Big-Fish Communist" and well connected you can get away with a lot, including mass murder and serial murder. Clinton, Fauci, Gates and many others prove that is a FACT.

Baldwin is voice box for the communist party, but he's a smaller fish, and we can see that because he is in some danger of prosecution, but we can also note that he is NOT in jail.

The true issue here is about the actions and lack of care and diligence that surround the shooting, but it turns into a matter of WHO did the shooting.

If any regular voting tax-paying working man had accidently shot and killed 1 person and wounded a 2nd, he'd go to jail for sure and for certain. (I am unsure if Baldwin did or didn't) Rittenhouse kills 2 and wounded a 3rd all 3 of which were documented criminals and convicted of felonies in the past, all of which were attacking him with intent to harm or kill him, and all of which was caught not just on video but some also on audio calling for the harm or death of that kid. The cops and the prosecutors had all those videos and audios before hand, and knew from the first hour Rittenhouse was innocent. Yet he was jailed and run through a ringer BECAUSE he killed communists and BECAUSE they want to scare cowards into NEVER pushing back against a communist movement.

Baldwin is one of those that in the last 6-7 years has openly called for violence but he's favored by the legal system here in the USA, because 100% of federal law enforcement's leadership here is sold out to the communist party. "Good cops" do nothing and bad ones do bad things.

So now we are being fed BS about a trigger in a gun.
Was is pulled?
Was it held back in error?
Was the sear nose broken?
Was the full cock notch of the hammer worn?

What difference does any of that make?

I have a better question:
If I, you or any non-communist had done the exact same thing, what would be done to us by the legal system?

That's what needs to be done to Baldwin.

Last edited by szihn; 12/03/21.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Yes they can.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Santa,

All I want for Christmas is a video to appear on DailyMail.com that shows Alec Baldwin, pulling the hammer back on his Colt 45, then pulling the trigger, over and over and over until it fired.

🦫

PS

I’d also like Flavor to almost die from autoerotic asphyxiation.

😳

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Beaver10

I’d also like Flavor to almost die from autoerotic asphyxiation.

😳

And I'd like kingston to become a man.

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Yes, Pieta makes both the "traditional" replica of the Colt Single Action with firing pin mounted on the hammer and a "second generation" replica of the single action with the transfer bar in the frame. Here is the Pieta safety and instruction booklet for their single action revolvers. The first part is in Italian but the second part is in English. Scroll down for the English section. Well illustrated and comprehensive.

https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/...PF-1873%20Manual%205-2013_1406058505.pdf

I have no idea which variant was being used by Baldwin to kill Hutchins and wound Souza.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One report said it was a Pietta. They do make a close copy of the Colt SAA lockwork. No transfer bar or safety interlocks. If the hammer is drawn back far enough to align a loaded chamber with the barrel enough, and same for the primer and firing pin, but not far enough to be caught by the sear, it will fire the round if you let it slip. Without touching the trigger.

Last edited by 5thShock; 12/03/21.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Mine won't.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 5thShock
One report said it was a Pietta. They do make a close copy of the Colt SAA lockwork. No transfer bar or safety interlocks. If the hammer is drawn back far enough to align a loaded chamber with the barrel enough, and same for the primer and firing pin, but not far enough to be caught by the sear, it will fire the round if you let it slip. Without touching the trigger.

I also remember reading in one of the articles that it was a Pietta made Colt SAA copy.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
could, would, maybe...........none of that makes any difference in the discussion. The revolver was in his hands, and he pointed it at someone. End of any meaningful discussion

Sam......

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

They don't use transfer bar clones in movies. Only the externally authentic clones, which means hammer mounted firing pin.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I posted this yesterday on the main forum.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It is possible yes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 3,117 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,486
Posts18,471,881
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.