Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
U
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
U
Looking for a chronograph since my neighbor decided to put a 5.56 tsx right through the center of mine . Still turns on and works but don’t trust it , has given some weird readings. Let me know what you got that won’t break the bank. Thanks !

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buy once - cry once.

Oehler 35P or MagneoSpeed III

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Buy this from brownells, when it dies send it back to them under their lifetime warranty.

https://www.brownells.com/shooting-...luetooth-sku225000006-122616-227394.aspx

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have a Caldwell premium kit I'll sell you if your interested.......

Caldwell premium kit

Everything in the kit is included, minus the tipod.. it was junk anyway.

Works great, excellent condition.

$85 shipped

Last edited by hicountry; 12/03/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Magneto speed are cheap and very reliable/easy to use.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by azelkhuntr
Magneto speed are cheap and very reliable/easy to use.

And you can get by easily with the sporter version.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Usmcinfantry1988
Looking for a chronograph since my neighbor decided to put a 5.56 tsx right through the center of mine . Still turns on and works but don’t trust it , has given some weird readings. Let me know what you got that won’t break the bank. Thanks !

Why isn’t your neighbor bringing you a replacement unit?

U
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
U

Why isn’t your neighbor bringing you a replacement unit?[/quote]

He did pay me for it , it was just a cheaper Caldwell chrono but worked pretty good until it took a round lol

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Magneto speeds suck if you want to test for accuracy and velocity at the same time because they alter the harmonics cuz they hang off the barrel. Now if you can make some kind of a rig where it doesn't touch the barrel you're golden

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
There are only two types of chronographs. Those that have been shot and those that will be shot.

Medics bury their mistakes..
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Not really....

Lab Radar....

If you shoot through that, you're probably in trouble....

U
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
U
Originally Posted by Dinny
There are only two types of chronographs. Those that have been shot and those that will be shot.

Ha ha got a kick out of this ! It was not funny at the time it happened but I can laugh about it now !

U
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
U
Originally Posted by Fotis
Magneto speeds suck if you want to test for accuracy and velocity at the same time because they alter the harmonics cuz they hang off the barrel. Now if you can make some kind of a rig where it doesn't touch the barrel you're golden

Was wondering about this especially with my featherweight barrels !

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

If I recall correctly Mule Deer has solved that problem.

Medics bury their mistakes..
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dinny

If I recall correctly Mule Deer has solved that problem.

Not without some complexity... and it wasn't Muledeer's idea originally.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
kingston,

Exactly, it wasn't my idea! But they do work great for group-and-velocity at the time with relative inexpensive solutions.

Might mention again here, as I have elsewhere on the Campfire, that I tried a Labradar for a while and it was very impressive--until I ran into its limits. These include smaller-caliber bullets, including some 6mm boattails, and anything above 3900 fps. For anything in between it works great, but at twice the price of my Magnetospeed and almost as much my Oehler 35P, I want more versatility.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
kingston,

Exactly, it wasn't my idea! But they do work great for group-and-velocity at the time with relative inexpensive solutions.

Might mention again here, as I have elsewhere on the Campfire, that I tried a Labradar for a while and it was very impressive--until I ran into its limits. These include smaller-caliber bullets, including some 6mm boattails, and anything above 3900 fps. For anything in between it works great, but at twice the price of my Magnetospeed and almost as much my Oehler 35P, I want more versatility.

Labradars don’t like shotguns either.

Of particular annoyance to me is that when I am alternating between rifles, I cannot go back to a previous string and add more shots. So I shoot a three shot group out of rifle 1, and shoot rifle 2 while rifle 1 is cooling, I need to start a third string for my next go-round with rifle 1. At the end of the day I end up with multiple, separate 3 shot strings for each rifle. I need to keep track of the different strings, AND all the data for each rifle is non-cumulative. frown

Also, if you forget the SD card, the data in the Labradar’s internal hard drive is non-downloadable. That has bitten me more than once.

I like a lot about the Labradar, but it is far from perfect .. yet.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
If they ever get those kinks worked out, I'd try a Labradar again. But not until then....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I've been using a CED unit for years and it's been a solid performer.
It has wires and screens, but I'm OK with that.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Wesley2
Buy this from brownells, when it dies send it back to them under their lifetime warranty.

https://www.brownells.com/shooting-...luetooth-sku225000006-122616-227394.aspx

Don’t spread Bull Sh*t from your link on Brownells page

2 year warranty against defects in material and workmanship, and a 1/2 price repair guarantee.

That ain’t no lifetime guarantee.

As an aside I sent a 12 year old Oehler 35P that died back to them. Replaced the brain board, tested and shipped back within a week at no cost.
That’s about as good as it gets.

Swifty
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

684 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 71 invisible), 3,291 guests, and 1,403 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,483
Posts18,471,815
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.