Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'd only do it pulling a trailer with a generator and a couple gas cans.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I ain’t getting one of those ‘lectric cars.....

Gonna be like y’all boomers holding out with the flip celly phones.....

😂🤣😂

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've said this before, but the future isn't with charging stations, but replaceable battery packs.

You'll pull up, a robot will sense the model of battery you need, then remove your old one and install a fully charged one. You'll be billed for the difference in charge, and the one it removed will go into a charging bank. It'll take five minutes or less, and you'll be on your way.

There will still be charging stations at hotels, anywhere you'll park for a few hours, and at home. But at "truck stops" the replaceable battery packs will be the way to go (pun intended.)

Cripes, it's obvious.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rocky,
the only question is whether it'll be batteries or hydrogen cells, and it'd not surprise me if it were both.
W

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It'll be like leased compressed gas cylinders or Blue Rhino propane tank exchange. They need to standardize battery sizes.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
https://youtu.be/uC95WACQhCY

2000 miles in a Tesla?
Don't know how to put it here, but this will take you there.

Originally Posted by WYcoyote
What's the range at -20 with the heater on full blast?

Will it keep you warm if stuck in a snowdrift overnight?

Or is it just a car for the beach boys?

Go to the link, poke around. He has a video addressing driving one
in the cold. The guy is an engineer, but he talks normal, Owns a Tesla
One of the videos, is of a big road trip. Does a circuit in the summer,
then retraced it in the winter. He covers about every question ask here.

Charging is tricky.
Tesla rapid chargers get it done, they are quicker than expected.

The trick is learning how it works and planning.
The more "empty" the battery, the faster it takes a charge.
The "fuller" it gets, the slower.
So the trick is to run it down a good bit, the charge to 80-90%.
The last 10% takes longer than it's really worth.

Again, check the videos.
If you are a real gear head and want to understand how things work
in engines, this guy is great. I have a better than average knowledge
base on car stuff. I have learned how things work in engines that
I had never heard of. Stuff you knew about, but not why.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Rivian truck is pretty impressive. A 400 mile battery option would last a week locally.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Remsen
The real world range in a Tesla is about mid 200 miles and it takes about an hour to recharge. I used to have a Tesla (the Model S) and thought it would be interesting to drive it from CA (when I lived there) to our place in Montana. 1000 miles of hell. Having to stop every 200 miles for an hour is a total deal killer for me, since I usually make the 1000 mile trip in a day. I hear that the newer Teslas can hit about 300 miles on the highway, but even that assumes you are driving about 70 mph, which is not going to happen for me.

Hats off to you for doing that! Are you a gluten for punishment though?

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I wonder how much over the sticker price the dealers are demanding. I’ve heard that the Chevy dealers are getting 25K over sticker for the new mid engine corvettes.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
don’t tell the virtue signalers, but the electric cars are run on coal and other carbon fuels for the most part.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The real world range in a Tesla is about mid 200 miles and it takes about an hour to recharge. I used to have a Tesla (the Model S) and thought it would be interesting to drive it from CA (when I lived there) to our place in Montana. 1000 miles of hell. Having to stop every 200 miles for an hour is a total deal killer for me, since I usually make the 1000 mile trip in a day. I hear that the newer Teslas can hit about 300 miles on the highway, but even that assumes you are driving about 70 mph, which is not going to happen for me.

I don't think I've ever seen a Tesla or charging station in Montana. My old vette has about 150 mile range on a good day, but at least it's cool and I can fill it up in 5 minutes laugh

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don’t see the appeal of Tesla. I think it’s a status symbol and nothing else. Ie look at me look at me

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Neighbor has a Bolt. I installed the 220v charging station for him. He uses it as a commuter which is a good application for this type of vehicle. He went from $160 a month in gas to $40 in electricity. Pretty long payback on that one! As they currently stand, I would not be able to use one due to my driving requirements and because I drive a truck to see customers and occasionally deliver parts. A good alternative would be a hydrogen powered vehicle. I had a natural gas powered car back when Obama gave us $4 a gallon gas. It was $0.78 a gallon then. Car paid for itsself in 18 months.

Last edited by Ben_Lurkin; 12/05/21.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 348srfun
Going to get interesting evacuating from the path of a hurricane and 250 miles won’t even get you out of the area. Everyone is going to be at the same place trying to get hooked up for a charge. You can’t hitch a ride and bring back some electricity for your car. Definitely needs some more thought before we all get electric cars.
I like the 600 mile range of my gas guzzler.

That would be quite the clusterfugg.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Old Ornery

Hats off to you for doing that! Are you a gluten for punishment though?

For driving 1000 miles in a day? It's actually not bad at all and I hate spending two days driving that route. A lot depends on the vehicle, though.

And Stormin, the Tesla chargers in MT are usually at motels (the one in Bozeman is at a motel right off the freeway). The real problem is when you want to take side trips. Tesla superchargers are usually only on interstates and in urban areas, so if you want to, say, drive the side roads you better make sure you have a full battery.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Once again I m lost on why folks GAF what others choose?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I really think an electric car would suit the vast majority of
driving, the vast majority of people do.

Most don't drive near 200 mile a day. Normally.
That's 50k per year. Sure, someone will be along
to dispute that, but the average is 20k or less.

However, I don't need to drive new cars.
Just a reliable one. And that's not the "reliable" as an excuse to buy.
I'm not about to buy a 15 year old electric and face battery issues.

DGAF about status, virtue signalling, trends or all the other
BS people waste money on.

I'll drive something that burns hydrocarbons.
Wish I could get a coal car!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

That is right. My brother has a Tesla. Drive about 200 miles, and spend 45 minutes on the recharge. Now, on a 2 hour drive around the mountains like we did today, it is a wonderful car.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I don’t see the appeal of Tesla. I think it’s a status symbol and nothing else. Ie look at me look at me

Well, there is the acceleration thing....

The P90D and P100D were borderline painful from the acceleration. I'll drive the BIL's Plaid over Christmas, see just how much of a difference there is between a 2.2 second 0-60 and the Plaid's 1.9 second 0-60. Maybe get a neck sprain wink

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by RupertBear
Will they charge off a portable generator? I know it would be slow, but the Honda generators are quiet enough, so could you do it at an overnight stop?
RB

Yes you can. For 110 volt you only get 5 miles of running for 1 hr of charging.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 68 invisible), 2,970 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,930
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.