-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Was using blended Motorcraft in my truck when I did it myself.- every 4k or so. I stopped- too much of a hassle. So now I get 5-30 Valvoline Synth and have it changed every 5k miles. in my G37 and 0-30 for my F150.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm still a 3-4000 miles kind of guy. Cheap insurance, especially with a turbo that needs lubed too.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Once you go high mileage oil, it "may" not be a good idea to go back to regular oil as some have additives that are designed to swell gaskets and seals. Would only consider high mileage if the engine started to consume more oil than usual.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Been using nothing but Pennzoil for almost 30 years.
Finally switched to full synthetic this year.

Oil filters? I used to think Fram was the best, and used them from 1975 (when I bought my first car) until a couple of years ago when I learned that they are now garbage. Now it's only NAPA Gold.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by renegade50
Ahhhhh.

6qt box of havoline high mileage syn at wally world like 17 or 18 bucks still

Pretty good deal if ya ask me.....

I bought some of that last month.....first "oil in a box" for me. The one I bought said something like "synthetic technology" which makes me think its a blend, not full synthetic.

I have been using supertech full synthetic but they were out so I bought the havoline which I am sure is fine. Biden has effed the economy up so bad you can't go into wally world and buy house brand oil.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Damn, now you've gone and reminded me to get oil and filter for the truck.

Motorcraft cartridge filter

Valvoline synthetic.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i use mobil 1 and napa gold or platinum filters on all my vehicles.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pahick
Originally Posted by pahick
Just did my '11 Silverado. Valvoline Maxlife high mileage full synthetic and Fram extra guard filter.

Used to have dealership change. I told them Mobile 1 and PF48. After the 3rd time I noticed oil pressure was fluctuating. Looked underneath and it was a PF48e...big difference, PF48 has metal end caps more filter media and better bypass valve, PF48e has less filter media and plastic cage around it, cardboard end caps and schitty bypass valve. So I started looking at Bobistheoilguy and found Fram extra guard filters to be about perfect for my needs(look it up, all other frams junk) For my 5.3 I use the long filter XG10575.

So I did..
Mobile 1
Quakerstate Ultimate durability
Pennzoil Platinum
Supertech
Valvoline Maxlife

Switched off and on between oils. Two stood out. Valvoline Maxlife I can go 12k without oil pressure fluctuating. Supertech about 10k. All the others around 7-8K pressure starts to fluctuate.

Sorry, had to go look....extra guard didnt seem right. Its the Ultra...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Schit, looks like Fram changed the Ultra....not sure what to think. Removed the metal cage and change the filter media. More media, but doesnt look as tough. The one I just out on is an old XG10575, the one I took a pic of is the new one. Both bought at Walmart.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Mobil 1 and Toyota filters for my Camry and Tundra. Castrol Edge synthetic if Mobil 1 is out of stock (try finding it at Wal Mart right now). I'm not a synthetic snob but I use what the book tells me to use, that's synthetic for my Toyotas.

The 99 dodge Diesel gets Rotella 15W-40 conventional and Fleetguard filters just like it has for the last 400,000 miles.

I change them at the interval the book calls for. That's 10,000 miles for the Camry, 5000 for the Tundra, and 7500 for the Dodge diesel. No way I'm changing every 3000 miles just to feel good, I'm not changing oil once a month.

Fram doesn't go near any of my vehicles.

When I was in college I had a job at the local Sears Auto Center which had me doing oil changes, tires, mufflers, shocks, etc. Oil changes are where they put the new guys off the street who don't know how to do anything else. If you go to a place like that there's a good chance the guy doing the oil change is going to be the dumbest mouth breather they can find who has worked there less than a week. Pretty much every place is like this, not just Sears. It actually takes a slight bit of training to install and balance a tire, but they figure any idiot can change oil, that's why you hear so many horror stories about oil change places. Unfortunately an oil change is something very simple that if screwed up can do a lot of damage. Unless you know the place well and know who is doing the work you're asking for trouble at these places. Chances are the guy working on your vehicle is Jamel who just got out of jail last week and won't be working there next week. That's why I always change my own oil.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
I use Schaeffers 5w-30 full synthetic and wix premium filters.

Well at least one guy here knows what to buy!...

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Mobil1 and NAPA Platinum filters. Change the Highlander every 10K and the truck once a year.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Just changed the oil in the wife's Pilot 2 day ago.
Mobil 1 and a Wix extended range filter every 10,000 miles.

This^^^^^^

Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Mobil 1 with either a WIX or OEM filter and a change interval of 6,000 miles.

I try to sync my tire rotation and oil change at the same 6,000 mile interval.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Walmart's SuperTec and Costco's Kirkland synthetics are made in the same place, and pretty good stuff. Napa filters are, or at least were, a rebranded Wix.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oilzum oil and Wix filter. Second choice for oil would be Lubrication Engineers, still using a Wix filter

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
On a related note.....new Fords have a plastic oil drain plug.

After looking I think it is to accommodate a tight fit. think it is a quarter turn with a click sort of fit. I hated the thought at first but wonder if anyone ever had any real problems with one?

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

this stuff.....$18/jug

Wix XP filters...Toyota OEM......K&N occasionally

[img]https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/da...ht=612&odnWidth=612&odnBg=FFFFFF[/img]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Walmart's SuperTec and Costco's Kirkland synthetics are made in the same place, and pretty good stuff. Napa filters are, or at least were, a rebranded Wix.

Warren Oil......

Read it on the 'net

has to be true

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is buggin the fück outta me! Try to hold a flashlight in your mouth and take a pic with your phone laugh Looks like this new XG10575 still has metal mesh backing...hard to see in those holes lol

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Mobil 1 with either a WIX or OEM filter and a change interval of 6,000 miles.

I try to sync my tire rotation and oil change at the same 6,000 mile interval.

Probably a good time to swap out the batteries in the smoke alarms and the flashlights too. grin

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 52 invisible), 2,402 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,277
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.