Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Both can be stressful and costly, I prefer the stability of marriage 35yrs. and counting.

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by viking
Shack up. No contest.

Yep, and die in old age alone.

Decisions, decisions...... (married 43 years). smile

I got bad news for you, one of you is going to die alone. Unless the pair of you decide to Thelma & Louise it.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by LongSpurHunter
Government really needs to be out of the marriage business too. Why the heck does anyone need a license to get married?

They don't. Marriage, IMO, is a mutual, private contract between two people. Our ceromony in front of the Bishop and the state paperwork we did to me is irelevant. 43 years here, following a year long live-together.

Gender does not matter (am I "woke"? ). I don't give a chit - but I don't like homo-pairings to be artificially stuck in my face. Cross gender pairings don't do that, in my perception. But I could be indoctrinated....

Government and/or religious ceremony/ paperwork is extraneous. It does make things easier on the legal front.

If screws in the ass if things go south. Again WHY does someone NEED a license from the government to get married?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by wyowinchester
It's called COMMITMENT. Get your little feelings out of the way and stand up. 38 years and counting. It aint easy. Not every male can do it. Real men can.

I bet momma hasn't been happy for a long time

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Married 40 going on 41 years so I guess I will say married

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by navlav8r
It’s a contract or commitment between two people….legally, mentally, etc. Shackin’ up is just a way to give yourself an “out”….getting the milk without buying the cow.

We dated or were engaged for 2 1/2 years before we graduated and tied the knot. Plenty of time for escape for either if it wasn’t going as it should and there were no kids or assets to worry about and not many surprises.

It’ll be 50 years next summer.

You're another that has zero concept of today's world. Here's one hint, kids don't play kick the can anymore.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Depends on her asset and income level.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
What blows my mind is the mid 40s to later 50s women that just split.
Often married to a rock solid, good guy.

Then they destroy all that. And take up with Tyrone. Or a meth head.
Or, another woman?

Menopause can be tough on women, some lose their way in life.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Which is better?

When I answered the first time, I was thinking of my current situation. Mileage and results may very for others.

My kids are grown. She still has one at home. Marriage boils down to contract, per my divorce lawyer. I ain’t taking on any financial liabilities for a feral teenager.

At work, they pay a full single policy, so that’s another financial positive for us.

So if your done having kids, I would not get married.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
The area of the country I live in. White trash shack up long term. Decent people marry. That is the perception here. Maybe we are backwards here.

IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Often married to a rock solid, good guy.

Then they destroy all that. And take up with Tyrone. Or a meth head.
Or, another woman?

It's not so much the Menopause, it the midlife crisis. About half of divorces occur during a midlife crisis.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
L
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
L
Shack up then get married

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The tax laws are telling you to shack up long term if both of you are bringing lots of real estate into the picture. First off they tax married folks higher here than they do single people which is called the marriage penalty. Then if one of you sells a property that isn't their primary residence, capital gains are all on the person that owns it. Marry that person and that capital gains income becomes both of your tax implication.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
The Christian religion calls marriage Holy matrimony.

They don't call shacking up Holy shacking up. I believe they call it adultery.

No one under 70 cares.

I believe Adultery is defined as those who are in Holy Matrimony that go outside of their vows and have sex with other married or unmarried people.

Shacking up most likely falls under fornication which may or may not be a lesser type of sin.

Opinions vary widely, no doubt.

At any rate, it’s hard to pass on a chance to try and knock the bottom out of it when the occasion presents itself.

The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak so to speak.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by lapua6547
Shack up then get married

Then shack up again after the divorce is finalized.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
a piece of paper or a ring doesn't make a marriage.

I feel confident my wife and I would be together now whether it was official or not. We've never been at the level of discourse that we talked about going our separate ways

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If there is no transcendental, supernatural God, then "marriage" is meaningless superstition and there is no rational source for any kind of objective morality. Did the concept of marriage "evolve" from adaptations to that happened to reduce more frequent homicide in cultures where monogamy was ambiguous? Clearly, it was adopted as a control mechanism for authoritarian powers to sanction certain unions while prohibiting others and taxing them all, but that came well after the institution of marriage. So if it was first adopted as a survival mechanism, can a person or society come to terms with its status as an arcane ritual and just dispense with it? Why not as individuals dispense with all morality if we know it only ever came about as a cultural adaptation for survival? Why do we have to be the ones that behave according to the arcane moralities, and how do we know we're not ones that can forsake morality and do whatever seems to be in our own interest?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Western_Juniper
If there is no transcendental, supernatural God, then "marriage" is meaningless superstition and there is no rational source for any kind of objective morality. Did the concept of marriage "evolve" from adaptations to that happened to reduce more frequent homicide in cultures where monogamy was ambiguous? Clearly, it was adopted as a control mechanism for authoritarian powers to sanction certain unions while prohibiting others and taxing them all, but that came well after the institution of marriage. So if it was first adopted as a survival mechanism, can a person or society come to terms with its status as an arcane ritual and just dispense with it? Why not as individuals dispense with all morality if we know it only ever came about as a cultural adaptation for survival? Why do we have to be the ones that behave according to the arcane moralities, and how do we know we're not ones that can forsake morality and do whatever seems to be in our own interest?

We can all justify what we do.

I find nothing arcane in leading a moral life. Most all of the world’s problems, past and present, stem from the misuse of free will.

Jmo

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Often married to a rock solid, good guy. Then they destroy all that.
It's not so much the Menopause, it’s the midlife crisis. About half of divorces occur during a midlife crisis.
A lot of em’ go crazy at 40 for the reason that AS mentioned above; and as he’s mentioned before, 80% of divorces are initiated by them, and they have a financial incentive for doing so.

That said, “violating marriage vows” is often interpreted by many as infidelity/adultery. And infidelity/adultery is NOT the only way that marriage vows can be violated.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Neither,at this point in my life,looking back........I wouldn't bother with a full time ,live in chick.
Nor would i ever get married,i would just have good times for a while and move on,nothing serious,nothing big or heavy or emotional,just have fun with them,and thats that.I'd be upfront with them,i wouldn' t string anyone along or B.S. them,i'd be truthfull from the start,if they were cool with that,fine,if not ? See Ya ! An old Dockbuilder i worked with years ago told me,"THE F ING YOU GET AIN'T WORTH THE F ING YOU TAKE!" Sound advice Bobby,wish i would've listened.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (16gage, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1lessdog, 1minute, 55 invisible), 2,985 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,955
Posts18,519,375
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.