Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#16673024 11/30/21
79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Took the model 70 featherweight out today to try 143 eld-x. I tried this load yesterday with 51.5gr of rl26. Upped it to 52.0gr of rl26, got better results even though the 51.5gr load was pretty good. These Winchester have a lot of freebore my bullets are seated at 3.110 for OAL.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 79S; 11/30/21.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
HR IC

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nice. I wanna give the 147’s a shot in mine. Got plenty of 26, seems like the Swede should be an animal with those.

Semper Fi
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Tag.

I'll give that load a go in my stainless featherweight

“Factio democratica delenda est"
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
My sporter like's Accubonds. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Took the model 70 featherweight out today to try 143 eld-x. I tried this load yesterday with 51.5gr of rl26. Upped it to 52.0gr of rl26, got better results even though the 51.5gr load was pretty good. These Winchester have a lot of freebore my bullets are seated at 3.110 for OAL.

[Linked Image]

Rifle appears to be shooting great buddy... Is that a BACO or classic? I'm held back a little on how hot I can run the loads in my old rifle. I have tried some 143 ELDX as well. They seemed to shoot well, but I did not have many on hand. Here's how the old girl ran those:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I'd have to double check my OAL, but I'm sure it's longer than yours, since my rifle may be a bit more worn in.. Ha ha.. Heres some other bullets it likes:
140gr ELDM:

140gr SST:

140gr Barnes match burner:
Danced around the X-ring with that load. Not real tight though..

The Swedish mauser is a great cartridge. I have nothing but good to say about it. Don't compare it to the creedmoor either. I like both cartridges very much, but there's no denying the Swedes were way ahead of their time when they developed that cartridge and rifle like my m96 with its fast twist barrel. You should post a pic of your rifle too buddy. Mine is an old one:

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 79S

[Linked Image]

Rifle appears to be shooting great buddy... Is that a BACO or classic? I'm held back a little on how hot I can run the loads in my old rifle. I have tried some 143 ELDX as well. They seemed to shoot well, but I did not have many on hand. Here's how the old girl ran those:
I'd have to double check my OAL, but I'm sure it's longer than yours, since my rifle may be a bit more worn in.. Ha ha.. Heres some other bullets it likes:
140gr ELDM:

140gr SST:

The Swedish mauser is a great cartridge. I have nothing but good to say about it. Don't compare it to the creedmoor either. I like both cartridges very much, but there's no denying the Swedes were way ahead of their time when they developed that cartridge and rifle like my m96 with its fast twist barrel. You should post a pic of your rifle too buddy. Mine is an old one:

Lawrence, mine is in the classic featherweight.

Last edited by 79S; 12/05/21.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

[Linked Image]

140gr ELDM:

140gr SST:

Very nice. Looks like it's shooting great. Nice round group. Did you glass bed it, or leave the hot glue bedding?

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

[Linked Image]

140gr ELDM:

140gr SST:

Very nice. Looks like it's shooting great. Nice round group. Did you glass bed it, or leave the hot glue bedding?

It’s bedded a floated Winchester put 1-8 twist on these 6.5 Swede classics. But still put 1-9 twists on the 264 win mags in the classics.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sqweeler
My sporter like's Accubonds. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

That right there is on my "must have someday" list. What a beaut.

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 79S
It’s bedded a floated Winchester put 1-8 twist on these 6.5 Swede classics. But still put 1-9 twists on the 264 win mags in the classics.

I think they are actually 1-7.75 from what I have seen/read. Odd how a company would spec a whole nother barrel for the same caliber. You'd figure them trying to make money would just try to get by with the same twist to save on redundant orders.

But my 9 twist 264 shoots darned well so I am not complaining too much.

Semper Fi
IC B3

79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by 79S

I think they are actually 1-7.75 from what I have seen/read. Odd how a company would spec a whole nother barrel for the same caliber. You'd figure them trying to make money would just try to get by with the same twist to save on redundant orders.

I measured mine I got 1-8 but 1-7.75 close enough to 1-8. My 264 shoots 140 AB pretty good. But Like you why did Winchester use two different barrel twists.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

I measured mine I got 1-8 but 1-7.75 close enough to 1-8. My 264 shoots 140 AB pretty good. But Like you why did Winchester use two different barrel twists.

Yeah, I didn't mean to sound like a smart ass with the correction, I was just surprised they did the Swede so well. Hell, they put a 1-8 on my Supergrade 6.5 PRC.. Seems silly to have all of the different barrels, but whatever. Krieger makes new barrels everyday.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
FN 98 Mauser Swede with Shilen barrel in a McWoody Classic Edge, Canjar trigger, Conquest 2.5-8x32 in Talley steel rings.

Loves the 139 Scenar in Lapua brass over MRP. It's a keeper.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 12/07/21.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

Yeah, I didn't mean to sound like a smart ass with the correction, I was just surprised they did the Swede so well. Hell, they put a 1-8 on my Supergrade 6.5 PRC.. Seems silly to have all of the different barrels, but whatever. Krieger makes new barrels everyday.

Scotty, its probably just old school mentality. Thinking the 264wm had to have a certain twist rate. Remember when the 244 remington came out, they found out the twist rate sucked, so they changed it and ten renamed it the 6mm remington? Their old school mentality led them to believe twist rates were set in stone for each cartridge, or something. The 6.5x55 was developed 130 years ago, and for the most part, the swedes chose a good fast twist rate: 1 in 7.87". Probably why Winchester chose a similar approach with their 1 in 7.5 or 1 in 8. I'm assuming they chose slower twist for the 264 because its quite a bit faster than the swede. So reaching optimum rpms to stabilize the bullets, were attained with the 1 in 9 barrel. Now days guys are shooting longer heavier bullets in rifles chambered in the 6.5 PRC, so a faster twist rate is desirable. I know I'm preaching to the choir though.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
For sure. But you'd think company penny pinchers would just run the twist that works for them all. No real matter to me, but I find it interesting, especially in 2021.

Semper Fi
79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
For sure. But you'd think company penny pinchers would just run the twist that works for them all. No real matter to me, but I find it interesting, especially in 2021.

I saw that not to long ago the 6.5 cm and 6.5 prc come with 1-8 twist. Good ol 264 still has the 1-9 twist.

Last edited by 79S; 12/07/21.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 79S

I saw that not to long ago the 6.5 cm and 6.5 prc come with 1-8 twist. Good ol 264 still has the 1-9 twist.

Yup. Just dumb. Wished they’d put the 1-8 on the 270 Winchester like they are the 6.8 Western. How cool would that be? Talk about opening some doors to the old bird!

Last edited by beretzs; 12/07/21.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
A few comments on this overall thread,

The 6.5x55 is NOT "the Swedish Mauser" cartridge--or worse yet, "the Swede." It was co-developed by the Norwegian and Swedish militaries, when they belonged to the same "combined kingdom." (That said, by a Norwegian, it is also not the 6.5x55 Norwegian Krag.)

When Remington screwed up and introduced the .244 with a 1-12 twist, they did NOT "correct" it by reintroducing the cartridge as the 6mm with a 1-10 twist. Instead they used a 1-9 twist--and at the same time started making their .243 Winchesters with a 1-9 twist, so they didn't have to produce barrels with two different twists.

The standard .270 Winchester 1-10 twist will handily stabilize spitzers in the 170-grain range at elevations 4000 feet above sea level--and probably somewhat lower. I know this because I've done it.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
A few comments on this overall thread,

The 6.5x55 is NOT "the Swedish Mauser" cartridge--or worse yet, "the Swede." It was co-developed by the Norwegian and Swedish militaries, when they belonged to the same "combined kingdom." (That said, by a Norwegian, it is also not the 6.5x55 Norwegian Krag.)

When Remington screwed up and introduced the .244 with a 1-12 twist, they did NOT "correct" it by reintroducing the cartridge as the 6mm with a 1-10 twist. Instead they used a 1-9 twist--and at the same time started making their .243 Winchesters with a 1-9 twist, so they didn't have to produce barrels with two different twists.

The standard .270 Winchester 1-10 twist will handily stabilize spitzers in the 170-grain range at elevations 4000 feet above sea level--and probably somewhat lower. I know this because I've done it.

Cool stuff there MD. Didn’t know about it being a joint venture.

Also didn’t know that Remington used 1-9’s for their 243 Winchesters. I knew they use 1-9 1/4’s now but didn’t know about sharing the 1-9’s between the 6 and 243 back then. Any idea when they made the switch? Wonder why they settled on a 1-9 1/4?

I’ve tried the 170 Berger’s at near sea level and about 1500ft above in a 270 Win and 270 WSM with oblong’ish holes, keyholes and zero accuracy. Amazing what a few 1000 ft will do.

How’d the Berger’s hold up out at longer range for accuracy for you with the 170 EOL?

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I agree.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (1badf350, 10ring1, 1234, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1941USMC, 44 invisible), 1,807 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,002
Posts18,520,503
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.