Hop To
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by LongSpurHunter
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I used to call it the “Leupold shuffle”.... step to the left, step to the the right... used to drive me nucking futs. Then you’d get it zeroed and be afraid to ever touch anything again!

The first-gen Conquests were a revelation; at that same price point, things more or less moved as they should when adjusting, and then stayed there.

Then you buy a Nightforce.... grin... and you see how that stuff is supposed to work!

The new Jap-built Conquests are awesome mechanically FWIW, in the same realm as my NF’s, and of course, brilliant optically. 👍

Did you vote for Biden?

Just don't give him a box of nosler bullets. It's tougher than velcro shoes for communist jeff.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Got a 2003 Nikon Monarch 2-7X 32 that's still fine. No need for more.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Those were good scopes! (From what I recall, they were made by the same Japanese company that produces Nightforces, Tract Torics and SWFAs.)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
I have three Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44 scopes with the FireDot Duplex reticle on my favorite hunting rifles and they are working out well, and yes I dial them.

Got an antelope at 438 yards and an elk at 650 yards this year, and when dialed they "shuffled" the bullets right where they were supposed to. As they do at the range.

I wish they had the old VX-R duplex, but with the lit dot I'm getting by.

Happy with these for the hunting conditions I can encounter.

Thanks for the report. That's the sort of stuff I keep hearing, the reason am hoping to range-test my VX5 soon.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I just got notification that my latest Leupold to die is due back here Friday. It is a VX-II that died way to young. It hasn't been used that much. I hope they really fixed it!

I have had 3 repaired in the past. One was an ancient M8 4X that they got right first try. One was a very well used 3-9 Compact that sat on several different rifles over the years. I even used it to shoot High Power Rifle Silhouette for a while where it was constantly adjusted up and down. Leupold fixed it and it worked fine but they left a piece of dirt in it so I sent it back again. The other is a FX-III 12X that I bought used here on the 'Fire to put on my silhouette rifle. It would not track so I sent it in. Leupold sent it back and it still didn't track. I called them up and asked what I had to do to get them to fix that scope so it would track. They said to send it back. They fixed it the second time. Haven't had a problem with it since.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John, thanks for the info re: the current Burris stuff.

I'm truly snakebit when it comes to Burris stuff. With the exception of a Signature 8-32 that I used for spot and stalk fox and coyote hunting, everything 'B' has been a tangled up hot mess. The latest debacle is a 4-12 Compact that was NIB that I purchased in the '90's and USPS destroyed recently in shipping. USPS won't cover my insurance claim since I don't have the original invoice and Burris can't supply a price since it's discontinued. The final kick in the head is that Burris can't repair it as they have no parts. But they will replace it with a current model of some type.

Of course, none of this is Burris' fault but it just shows how me and Big B seemingly are not meant to be. crazy I'm actually hoping to try a replacement for the damaged 4-12 Compact.

The only Leupold that's died on me was a 6X42 A.O. after over 4,000 rounds on my .30 cal, 10lb. Hunter Benchrest gun. It didn't really 'die'...the parallax just got increasingly fussy to correct. The repair sheet from Leupold showed that the lenses had been reset.

I used to wonder why Burris had the turrets so far forward on their early scopes until I saw a cutaway showing the brass erector tube. Leverage is a wonderful thing! wink

Good shootin'. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Marc
I just got notification that my latest Leupold to die is due back here Friday. It is a VX-II that died way to young. It hasn't been used that much. I hope they really fixed it!

I have had 3 repaired in the past. One was an ancient M8 4X that they got right first try. One was a very well used 3-9 Compact that sat on several different rifles over the years. I even used it to shoot High Power Rifle Silhouette for a while where it was constantly adjusted up and down. Leupold fixed it and it worked fine but they left a piece of dirt in it so I sent it back again. The other is a FX-III 12X that I bought used here on the 'Fire to put on my silhouette rifle. It would not track so I sent it in. Leupold sent it back and it still didn't track. I called them up and asked what I had to do to get them to fix that scope so it would track. They said to send it back. They fixed it the second time. Haven't had a problem with it since.

What was the turnaround time? I know they say 4-6 weeks, but how realistic is that?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Lmao @ "Leupold are junk". What an ass hat statement.

Leupold riflescopes are probably the best money I ever spent...on anything. Don't be jealous of something you can't afford.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Mach3

Leupold riflescopes are probably the best money I ever spent...on anything. Don't be jealous of something you can't afford.

This the ass hat statement leupolds aren't that expensive

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
John, thanks for the info re: the current Burris stuff.

I used to wonder why Burris had the turrets so far forward on their early scopes until I saw a cutaway showing the brass erector tube. Leverage is a wonderful thing! wink

Good shootin'. -Al

Al, yep the brass erector-tube Burris scopes were interesting, to say the least! Among other things, they also proved problematic to mount, because of the placement of the adjustment turrets.

They eventually got away from that, and as I mentioned around the early 2000s started were pretty darn good scopes. One of the interesting changes was lighter erector tubes, and often using heavy coil-springs to move the tubes--instead of flat springs, as many companies did (and some still do).

One of the toughest Burris scopes I've owned was the 1.5-5x model (as I recall the "Safari") that's now discontinued, apparently because not many hunters want low-magnification scopes anymore. Mine got abused considerably on several rifles, including my CZ .416 Rigby, especially when I did an extensive handloading project involving pushing the old round to .416 Weatherby pressures and velocities--around 2650 fps with 400-grain bullets. The scope just kept working very well.

Unfortunately, one of the other realities of writing about scopes is that many companies prefer that you not mention scopes they don't make anymore--even though the company name is still involved. So when they discontinued the 1.5-5x I eventually moved it along, partly because there were other new scopes I needed to attempt to break on the .416.

Best,
John

John Steinbeck
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by jwp475

Depends which models you're talking

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

They aren't in S&B price range plus they have some low dollar models as well
Your original post just didn't cut the mustard.

Last edited by jwp475; 12/07/21.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by robertham1
Originally Posted by Marc

What was the turnaround time? I know they say 4-6 weeks, but how realistic is that?

It is about 4 weeks since I sent it in. I am surprised. They turned it around in under 4 weeks. I just hope it works now!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Wrapids
Got a 2003 Nikon Monarch 2-7X 32 that's still fine. No need for more.

Typical Biden voter, clueless

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Had two serviced past couple years. The M8-8x abruptly turned into a rattle. The VX 3-9x33 compact EFR lost its AO. Turnaround time for each was around 4 weeks. Just got the EFR back, AO seems to work but the ocular is stiff. Undecided, have to mess with it more. M8 is fine.

Have a bunch of VX3s. First, none would pass a box test. More like a trapezoid......or maybe a parallelogram. Or a combination. Second, ergo sight-in involves multiple rounds. Cuz who knows what the adjustments actually deliver. Third, after sight-in a separate trip to verify nothing changed is necessary for some of them. No, not all of them......but which ones? None of mine are CDS. '90s to '00s mostly.

Have not had noticeable zero shift after verifying on separate trip. Which is why I continue to use them. But will buy something else going forward.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
John, THANK YOU for what is arguably the best post EVER on scopes and their virtues and maladies. I really enjoyed it. I will have to look into Burris' now smile. As two failures, my biggest disappointment was a "real" and expensive Zeis on a Model 70 300 H&H which is not a particularly punishing caliber. On Leupolds, I've had one fail completely, but my biggest issue with them over the last few years was adjustment. They simply didn't work as advertised. Once zero was set they seem to hold, even on medium to heavy recoiling rifles, thankfully, I'm not a "knob turner."

Lastly, and to the newer members of the Forum, NEVER, EVER trust ANYTHING JeffO (more commonly know as JeffObama, Gunttruck50) says. He is a prevaricating, dope smoking, democrat ball washer and those are some of his better attributes, but more to the point, his bullshitting about his hunting, ballistics, etc., are legendary in their excremental component.

Cheers,

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Around here, sight in issues are always Leupolds fault and have nothing to do with the trigger puller...

Grabbed a different gun at the last minute this year, one that has sat for a couple years, loaded up 23 new rounds...4 or 5 in just over an inch, cold and warm barrel...rang steel at 300...load shoot, load shoot, repeat....Finished up in about 30 minutes total.....Killed another Deer with a Leupold and a cold, dirty barrel...

Addition: That rifle has been shoot approximately 1500 to 2000 times...All with the same Leupold 6x42...

Last edited by battue; 12/08/21.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
I have three Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44 scopes with the FireDot Duplex reticle on my favorite hunting rifles and they are working out well, and yes I dial them.

Got an antelope at 438 yards and an elk at 650 yards this year, and when dialed they "shuffled" the bullets right where they were supposed to. As they do at the range.

I wish they had the old VX-R duplex, but with the lit dot I'm getting by.

Happy with these for the hunting conditions I can encounter.

Thanks for the report. That's the sort of stuff I keep hearing, the reason am hoping to range-test my VX5 soon.

I had a 2-10, won in one of Doug’s drawings, and it worked perfectly on my FC, aside from the reticle bleed issue. It wasn’t “tested” or abused, just sighted in and used. Nice view, and easy to get behind. I sold it to a local Fire member when it came back from the reticle replacement, mostly due to a case of Tract Lust I picked up here. No complaints, but I don’t think I’d give $900 of my own money for another. If yours holds up, I’m pretty sure you’ll like it.

Will it get a ride on your Heym?

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

I'll put my VX5 scopes up against anything in the same price range. It won't even be comparable.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I'll put my VX5 scopes up against anything in the same price range. It won't even be comparable.

They will not beat a Track Toric which cost less. Your experience or more like lack of is showing

Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (16penny, 007FJ, 1936M71, 160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,380 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,144
Posts18,484,119
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.