-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I still use two older 2.5-8’s. They do ok; one in particular. They’ve got aftermarket elevation turrets and are on “fun” guns, like my .223AI. They clearly and obviously outperformed the several newer 2.5-8’s I owned which have moved on to other shooters.

I don’t really understand WHY Leup has had a tough time getting with the program. I hypothesize that it’s somewhat akin to the US automakers in the 70’s; there’s just an arrogance there that they don’t need to compete at a high level because of who they are. That attitude set the US car industry back 20+ years and created an opening you could, well, drive a car through for the Japanese. I remember my first Japanese car, a ‘79 Accord. I traded my ‘79 Chevy Scottsdale pickup for it. That truck had it all: the 305 V8 was an absolute dog, but STILL got terrible mileage, when you put it up on a lift (I worked at a gas station all through high school and we were always messing with our trucks) you’d see the giant oversize holes in the frame/body mounts so that they could get things to more or less line up... the engine had a lifter tick at under 40k miles, which I cured by drizzling ATF into the carb with the motor running... the interior plastics were soft and the NM sun ate them up... various knobs and switches would work, not work, whatever.... then I got that Honda and..... you just changed the oil in it and it went and went and went and everything worked. “Huh”!

It’s frustrating because I work in the field of mechanical manufacturing and to a lesser degree (mostly my own fixturing and tooling), design... everything that is “wrong” with Leup could’ve been addressed decades ago with some reverse engineering, R&D effort, and stepping up their QC. This ain’t rocket science; it’s just EFFORT and being willing to admit you have a problem. The same things the US automakers did to compete... you want to beat Toyota, you first gotta BE Toyota.

I happily take my money elsewhere. If you believe in the power of free markets, which I do, the possibility of failure must exist and further, must manifest as consumer behavior, to change the behavior of the manufactures. I’m doing my part by rewarding excellence when I find it, and punishing complacency and arrogance. In a very real sense, it’s patriotic. Short of just closing our borders to imports, or imposing more punitive and ineffective tariffs, it’s compete-or-die on a global level. I want to believe America and Americans can compete. But blindly “buying American” won’t do that; in fact it can do just the opposite; it can function as enabling.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One has to know their rifle to judge a scope. When a 1" rifle becomes a 3" rifle,and you change scopes, and it becomes a 1/2" rifle. That is mmm?? moment.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

I’m doing my part by rewarding excellence when I find it, and punishing complacency and arrogance.

I'm sure Leupold is reeling from the punishment you're dishing out to them.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by WYcoyote

I’m doing my part by rewarding excellence when I find it, and punishing complacency and arrogance.

I'm sure Leupold is reeling from the punishment you're dishing out to them.

It that were true, wouldn't she have already layed in front of a moving train.

Last edited by LongSpurHunter; 12/08/21.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I still use two older 2.5-8’s. They do ok; one in particular. They’ve got aftermarket elevation turrets and are on “fun” guns, like my .223AI. They clearly and obviously outperformed the several newer 2.5-8’s I owned which have moved on to other shooters.

I don’t really understand WHY Leup has had a tough time getting with the program. I hypothesize that it’s somewhat akin to the US automakers in the 70’s; there’s just an arrogance there that they don’t need to compete at a high level because of who they are. That attitude set the US car industry back 20+ years and created an opening you could, well, drive a car through for the Japanese. I remember my first Japanese car, a ‘79 Accord. I traded my ‘79 Chevy Scottsdale pickup for it. That truck had it all: the 305 V8 was an absolute dog, but STILL got terrible mileage, when you put it up on a lift (I worked at a gas station all through high school and we were always messing with our trucks) you’d see the giant oversize holes in the frame/body mounts so that they could get things to more or less line up... the engine had a lifter tick at under 40k miles, which I cured by drizzling ATF into the carb with the motor running... the interior plastics were soft and the NM sun ate them up... various knobs and switches would work, not work, whatever.... then I got that Honda and..... you just changed the oil in it and it went and went and went and everything worked. “Huh”!

It’s frustrating because I work in the field of mechanical manufacturing and to a lesser degree (mostly my own fixturing and tooling), design... everything that is “wrong” with Leup could’ve been addressed decades ago with some reverse engineering, R&D effort, and stepping up their QC. This ain’t rocket science; it’s just EFFORT and being willing to admit you have a problem. The same things the US automakers did to compete... you want to beat Toyota, you first gotta BE Toyota.

I happily take my money elsewhere. If you believe in the power of free markets, which I do, the possibility of failure must exist and further, must manifest as consumer behavior, to change the behavior of the manufactures. I’m doing my part by rewarding excellence when I find it, and punishing complacency and arrogance. In a very real sense, it’s patriotic. Short of just closing our borders to imports, or imposing more punitive and ineffective tariffs, it’s compete-or-die on a global level. I want to believe America and Americans can compete. But blindly “buying American” won’t do that; in fact it can do just the opposite; it can function as enabling.

That's a hell of a lot of typing without including any pertinent information, except maybe about cars and your work history. "Newer" and "older" tell us nothing. Newer than what, or older than what? Ideally you would include the model of the scopes,Vari-X, VX-III. VX-3 etc.

Last edited by Moto_Vita; 12/08/21. Reason: g
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Starbuck

But Ford's are awesome. I've never had a single problem with 3 Fords that I used as grocery getters and never towed with or took off road, so I can't possibly fathom the reality that you, or anyone else, ever had a problem with a Ford.

Sooo, you are implying that Leupold uses don't use theirs like those who choose other brands? They only use them as the equivalent of a grocery getter that never gets off road?

If so, how did you verify it to be fact?

Last edited by battue; 12/08/21.

laissez les bons temps rouler
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I broke down and picked up a couple of older 4x M8's here last week or the week before. I put one on a little 357 Max today and sighted it in on my lunch break. Friction adjustments. Bore sighted at a post, fired 3 at 50 yards, made an adjustment and moved to 100, fired 3 more....measured and adjusted. In all cases the measure was from the group of 2 in the 3 shot group. The final 3 shot group after the last adjustment is below.....the one out was the first shot, which was in the same place as the previous group of 2.

It was so incredibly consistent in the adjustment occurring AFTER the next shot. I couldn't help but laugh about it. It's 3x the ammo to sight one in vs a NF, SWFA, S&B, Tract....I could have gotten away with 2 shots each time but if I had made adjustments off of one shot it would have been chasing zero all day.

These have a lot of great user characteristics on eye relief, weight, ease of head placement. I won't do a lot of serious shooting until deer season ends in February but I'll probably hunt this one a few times....we'll see how it holds up and if it holds zero. The little .357 Max is a tack driver for a less than 6 lbs scoped rifle.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Theeck
I am brand loyal when I have good experienced but if I get burned by a company, I never go back. After many years as a Ford guy, I wouldn't take one now if you gave it to me. I got burned by them and will never go back.

As for Leupold, I have at least 10 of their scopes and have never had a problem. There may be people who have had other experiences but, so far, not me. I will keep buying them unless/until I get burned.

I also have a couple other optics that have been good so far. I have a couple Trijicons that have been good and a Meopta that has also been good. I have bought other lower-priced brands without good results.

I apologize in advance. I'm not trying to poke fun at you or your post, and I get where you are coming from on how difficult is is to go back to something that you feel let you down. But, I'd like to use an element from your post to satirically summarize how I view the ongoing Leupold debate:

But Ford's are awesome. I've never had a single problem with 3 Fords that I used as grocery getters and never towed with or took off road, so I can't possibly fathom the reality that you, or anyone else, ever had a problem with a Ford.

Makes sense. I know a lot of people that hunt and kill animals, but the only shooting they do is just before the season when they go out and pace off 100 or 200 steps and make sure they can hit a cereal box. Just readjust on the cereal box if needed and go hunting.
There’s nothing wrong with that, it obviously works for a lot of people. But those same people are not likely going to know if there is anything wrong with their scopes.

A friend of mine hunted this year with a younger guy that had just bought a new rifle and scope. He had it mounted and bore sighted at the store, bought some ammo and went hunting without doing any shooting. Then he killed two deer. I’m sure he thinks his scope is awesome, but his experience and opinion would have very little value.

Last edited by mod7rem; 12/08/21.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Makes sense. I know a lot of people that hunt and kill animals, but the only shooting they do is just before the season when they go out and pace off 100 or 200 steps and make sure they can hit a cereal box. Just readjust on the cereal box if needed and go hunting.
There’s nothing wrong with that, it obviously works for a lot of people. But those same people are not likely going to know if there is anything wrong with their scopes.

A friend of mine hunted this year with a younger guy that had just bought a new rifle and scope. He had it mounted and bore sighted at the store, bought some ammo and went hunting without doing any shooting. Then he killed two deer. I’m sure he thinks his scope is awesome, but his experience and opinion would have very little value.

And here we go with this bullchit again. Basically the old, "all Leupolds suck and if you don't know this fact it's because you are a goober who only bore sights his rifle and calls it good for hunting season if it keeps 3 shots on a sheet of poster paper at 100 yards".

That's just horse chit. In addition to Leupold scopes I also own Zeiss, Swarovski, Nikon, and even one Schmidt & Bender. I also know how to properly sight in a rifle. I have had no more difficulty sighting in any of my Leupold scoped rifles than I have with any of the other scopes I own. And I have never had any of them fail to hold zero. That goes for the 6 I currently own and a few more I sold along with the rifle they were mounted on over the years. I also probably have at least 10 or more family members and friends that own at least 1 Leupold scope. Some of them more than that. No reported problems from them either. And believe me because of the constant stream of negativity here I have specifically asked them.

I am nobodies sunshine pumping fan boy either. I fully realize that any company that makes thousands of scopes every year is going to have failures. A lemon is possible with any company. But I find it weird that none of the people I know of outside the internet seem to have these consistent problems with Leupold scopes. In fact the vast majority of places you go online have a good opinion of them. But come here and the Leupold failure rate jumps to 98.7 percent. Amazing. Maybe what some of you guys need is a priest or a shaman to lift whatever optics curse one of you ex wives placed on your asses. LOL!

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Willto

And here we go with this bullchit again. Basically the old, "all Leupolds suck and if you don't know this fact it's because you are a goober who only bore sights his rifle and calls it good for hunting season if it keeps 3 shots on a sheet of poster paper at 100 yards".

That's just horse chit. In addition to Leupold scopes I also own Zeiss, Swarovski, Nikon, and even one Schmidt & Bender. I also know how to properly sight in a rifle. I have had no more difficulty sighting in any of my Leupold scoped rifles than I have with any of the other scopes I own. And I have never had any of them fail to hold zero. That goes for the 6 I currently own and a few more I sold along with the rifle they were mounted on over the years. I also probably have at least 10 or more family members and friends that own at least 1 Leupold scope. Some of them more than that. No reported problems from them either. And believe me because of the constant stream of negativity here I have specifically asked them.

I am nobodies sunshine pumping fan boy either. I fully realize that any company that makes thousands of scopes every year is going to have failures. A lemon is possible with any company. But I find it weird that none of the people I know of outside the internet seem to have these consistent problems with Leupold scopes. In fact the vast majority of places you go online have a good opinion of them. But come here and the Leupold failure rate jumps to 98.7 percent. Amazing. Maybe what some of you guys need is a priest or a shaman to lift whatever optics curse one of you ex wives placed on your asses. LOL!

I actually didn’t mention Leupold at all, or any scope brand. What I said is that some experiences and opinions hold more value than others, and that has shown in this thread.

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by mod7rem

I actually didn’t mention Leupold at all, or any scope brand. What I said is that some experiences and opinions hold more value than others, and that has shown in this thread.

Right out of the MSNBC 'Most college graduates did not vote for Trump' 2016 playbook.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by battue

Sooo, you are implying that Leupold uses don't use theirs like those who choose other brands? They only use them as the equivalent of a grocery getter that never gets off road?

There is overstatement as a satirical device.

But, yes, the sentiment emanates from the fact that when you read through enough of these types of discussions, there does seem to be usage and expectation commonalities among those who have been happy with the performance of their Leupold scopes.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Willto,

Surely you must be aware by now....the Campfire membership is composed of a higher quality of shooters than those other lessor forums.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

But, yes, the sentiment emanates from the fact that when you read through enough of these types of discussions, there does seem to be usage and expectation commonalities among those who have been happy with the performance of their Leupold scopes.

Well, you left this out...

And your verification is nothing more than it "does seem".....If that is your best...so be it...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

I liked the possessed optics comment. I need an old priest and a young priest at the range!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Willto,

Surely you must be aware by now....the Campfire membership is composed of a higher quality of shooters than those other lessor forums.

Oh I am well aquainted with the group here who think if you don't spend your days trying to knock flecks of paint off a metal gong at various distances you can't have an opinion about a scopes worth. Kind of guys who make their wife call them Carlos Hathcock when they have sex and feel the urge to jerk off whenever they see someone dressed in tactical gear. LOL!

Last edited by Willto; 12/08/21.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
A little too harsh....

It's mainly the Campfire fraternity society, and some wanting others to think they are part of the IN group...Little more than that...

The dedicated LR shooters have reason to want the best of the best...and most have specialized rifles that can bring out the best in a scope...It's those shooting an off the shelf rifle, thinking they need the same scope to kill a Deer, at the often quoted 100 yards and under, and Leupold isn't up to the task...They need to be in the frat....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Moto_Vita

That's a hell of a lot of typing without including any pertinent information, except maybe about cars and your work history. "Newer" and "older" tell us nothing. Newer than what, or older than what? Ideally you would include the model of the scopes,Vari-X, VX-III. VX-3 etc.

Fair enough. I’ll verify this when I’m in my gun safe later, because the evolution of their nomenclature is a bit hard to keep track of, lol, but my recollection is they are click-adjust Vari-X III’s. They are from the early 2000’s.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Willto,

Boy that was a good one.....

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Well, you left this out...

And your verification is nothing more than it "does seem".....If that is your best...so be it...

I see your sense of irony is as on as the adjustments of some of Leupold Scopes I've had! Seriously, your responses fit right into the usual Leupold discussion pattern: I never had a problem with mine; therefore, it's not plausible that anyone else has had an issue with theirs, either.

As far as "verification", what exactly does my statement require? It's observational and it's prefaced by being identified as satire. If you love Leupolds, have been well served by them, and, by extension, have a lot of confidence in them to the point that you don't believe there's any issues, what difference does it make what people on the internet say? Further, are those who've had disparate experiences from yours supposed to dismiss, deride, or disqualify your opinions for being different from thiers?

I'll ask you the same question I asked LFC earlier in the thread: Is it your belief that people make the choice to buy something with the intention of being dissatisfied with it?

Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (12344mag, 1minute, 1badf350, 204guy, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 62 invisible), 2,624 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,591
Posts18,473,436
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.