-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I noticed today we have new buses with Cummins engines.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Is your mechanic still willing to do the conversion for primers? That is in case you find another 12v & a cheap Excursion?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I’d like to find an 8.1l powered Suburban.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by BALLISTIK
If you pass on the blown 7.3l or 6spd 24V let me know, I'd like to look at 'em.

Sure thing... AND if I pass I will give you honest intel on what I see.

That actually seems cheap for the Sienna AWD, but I'm still leery of hybrid/electric vehicles.

I hear you on that... but I have been blown away with POSITIVE Toyota CS on hybrids... so they got the hook in me on trust.

CashisKing;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the day's been a good one for you and all the folks who matter in your world are well.

We had a run up the mountain to chase coyotes today and wouldn't you know it, somehow my Ruger American .223 didn't pick up the top round properly when I bailed out after spotting a couple on the way down the logging road. eek

Next week we'll be up there calling instead of too far up like we were today.

Anyways as I've stated previously the first and only new car my good wife has ever decided to buy was a 2019 Rav4 Hybrid.

She doesn't have all that many kilometers on it yet really, but yes Toyota has been on top of any recall or service issues with hers.

It's a bit of an odd drive system they've got actually even on hers - here's a video explaining it better than I could, but to me it seems like an electronic planetary drive they've made up, more or less.

She's averaged 5.3 liters/100 kilometers or 44 mpg US since she's brought it home - that's about 99% commuting in the mountains I'll add.

On hers the AWD system is pretty good as is the electronic suspension settings when one puts it on Trail. She says it's not quite as good on black ice as the Forester she drove before, but it's got more power and way, way better mileage.

As always that's a sample of one, but a sample nonetheless.

All the best to you all as Christmas approaches.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I was going to do this conversion on a 2004 6.0 F350, but ran out of time to do it. I sold the 12 valve I had sitting in my shop, but I still have the proper fuel plate/turbo/down pipe matched for this type of conversion that you are thinking about. Let me know if you plan on going forward with this and I can make you a very good deal on them. They are all new. In fact, I have two of the fuel plates because one was sent to me by mistake.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
saw this and thought of this thread

Last edited by KFWA; 12/08/21.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by jackmountain
I’d like to find an 8.1l powered Suburban.

I look at Subs FS across the country occasionally, & surprisingly, 8.1's show up fairly often. Craigslist & Auto Trader.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by gunzo
Is your mechanic still willing to do the conversion for primers? That is in case you find another 12v & a cheap Excursion?

Did I same primers? If so that was a not correct. Yes, he will still do the work if I ask him... probably cash and/or guns as is typical between us, but I do have plenty of primers and powder if he needs that.

Not sure if I understood your point.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Longbob
I was going to do this conversion on a 2004 6.0 F350, but ran out of time to do it. I sold the 12 valve I had sitting in my shop, but I still have the proper fuel plate/turbo/down pipe matched for this type of conversion that you are thinking about. Let me know if you plan on going forward with this and I can make you a very good deal on them. They are all new. In fact, I have two of the fuel plates because one was sent to me by mistake.

Thanks... that would be great. Drop me a PM on the price please. Never hurts to gather parts for a future project.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by deflave

Even his insincere interest is evidence of a bad idea.

Roger that... but I've always been a square peg round hole kinda guy.

I have a master mechanic available... and he needs ammo and primers.

OK, you actually didn't say he'd do the job for ammo & primers. Maybe insinuated? But I am corrected.

But that was an immediate a memory of this thread, a stretch to do it, labor alone way up there, likely more than half of the total. A lot of primers. was just a thought.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim1611
Cash why not just buy a brand new truck with all the bells and whistles? Oh I forgot there are non to be found! I'm sure you have other reasons than that though.

I won't own a DEF truck... no hard feels to those that do, but I will not... hopefully.

The 2008-2012 6.7 Cummins manual 4x4 is my constant search... very hard to find. VERY VERY HARD to find.

2011 is the last year before DEF if the truck was sold as a Cab and Chassis.

I do have a deposit down on the 2022 Tundra Hybrid... V6 with twin turbo... Hybrid is NOT on the engine... it is on the 10 speed automatic transmission.

ALLEGEDLY it 12k on towing capacity... If the MPG hits around 30 I will buy it... if not, I will probably pass. Final specs and price are NOT OUT YET. But I still put down $1k to lock in on one.

YES... I trust Toyota... at least more than I trust anyone else... ESPECIALLY Ford, Dodge and GM and the UAW in 2021... bunch of woke bastards.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bought my bride a 2022 Sienna Hybrid AWD... Crazy impressive on the tech. 36 MPG rating. MSRP $36,400 on the LE AWD.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

YES... it's a gayass minivan...

NO... I don't care...

TFLTrucks on YouTube ran a new Tundra several hundred highway miles and got an average of around 18.6 MPG.

IMO, Toyota royally screwed the pooch with the new Tundra. Towing and payload are still in the lower half of ½ tons. As a guy who has been happy with Tundras for 19 years, I'll likely be going elsewhere for my next truck.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Longbob

Thanks... that would be great. Drop me a PM on the price please. Never hurts to gather parts for a future project.

Sent you a PM and forgot that I have the matching injectors also.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by BC30cal
If you pass on the blown 7.3l or 6spd 24V let me know, I'd like to look at 'em.

Sure thing... AND if I pass I will give you honest intel on what I see.

That actually seems cheap for the Sienna AWD, but I'm still leery of hybrid/electric vehicles.

I hear you on that... but I have been blown away with POSITIVE Toyota CS on hybrids... so they got the hook in me on trust.

It's a bit of an odd drive system they've got actually even on hers...

She's averaged ...44 mpg US since she's brought it home - that's about 99% commuting in the mountains I'll add.

On hers the AWD system is pretty good as is the electronic suspension settings when one puts it on Trail. She says it's not quite as good on black ice as the Forester she drove before, but it's got more power and way, way better mileage.

Dwayne

Apologies on the cutting of your post... to just meat and potatoes.

Indeed they are quite odd, but I will say that that strange Japanese logic does impress me in the end. (i.e. We have an old beater Honda CR-V (2005)... the drive train is super impressive, but the "Americanized" sensors and EPA stuff makes the dash light up like a pinball machine). Don't really care... it will be a dedicated WV ATV in less than a year anyway. It was a $2,700 beater acquisition. However, not having a Low range transfer case will mean I will have warped rotors more often. 12% grade roads just do that.

I have more faith in Toyota than Honda, but only time will tell if that is further warranted. We had a hybrid failure on another Toyota... car was at 185,000+ miles and 11 years old. $4,200 repair, but Toyota covered the cost 100%... I was super impressed by that... thus the new era loyalty for us.

As for the MPG... indeed 44 is impressive. Unlike many, I have found Toyota to be honest about MPG.

My wife's new minivan is a basic grocery getter and dog hauler for her basic needs... was not looking for more. AWD make good sense for our WV travels. We did look at the Highlander hybrid. The ground clearance was about 1/4" better (IIRC) and the price tag was about $7k more so we declined. More "manly" if that is important... but not really that important for us... others? I very much assume so. Minivan are globally hated. The Sienna can be lifted to a small degree... may consider that also.

I was concerned the Sienna (4 cly. VVT engine and two electric motors) might lack "punch", but it seems OK so far. Time will tell as we begin to pull some grades.

The 2022 Tundra Hybrid is very unknown to me... If it does not pan out... I will not buy. But the 12k towing absolutely caught my attention. My 4 Cummins trucks have similar tow ratings, but I far exceed that often... as high as 30k here in the past couple of months... but don't tell DOT.

We have about 10-11 vehicles now... will sell a bunch as the economy further implodes. I saw an article the other day that the BS chip crisis might last 2 more years... who knows... I don't trust any of it anymore.

Have a Blessed evening... Leonard

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by deflave

Even his insincere interest is evidence of a bad idea.

Roger that... but I've always been a square peg round hole kinda guy.

I have a master mechanic available... and he needs ammo and primers.

OK, you actually didn't say he'd do the job for ammo & primers. Maybe insinuated? But I am corrected.

But that was an immediate a memory of this thread, a stretch to do it, labor alone way up there, likely more than half of the total. A lot of primers. was just a thought.

OK...

I have build John a fair number of custom guns... and ammo... and set him up to reload volume. We run a fairly tight "rat pack" in these circles... Cash prices and gun deals ALWAYS work out well with the few of us in this pack.

I figure a normal shop would cost me about $10k (I supply everything)... figure John would be a couple of rifles and maybe 5-10k rounds of custom ammo, but in the end he will tell me whoa when he is happy. Kinda how we do things here.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Gotya, I've done same, trade my skills, ammo, for others skills. Your labor numbers seem realistic now.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Sounds like a project that will be nice in the end. Getting there might be a headache! Would like to see the finished product. Not something I would do!

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Gotya, I've done same, trade my skills, ammo, for others skills. Your labor numbers seem realistic now.

So it's OK with you that I proceed with MY project with no further permission slips required from you? Just checking...

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
When you are done installing the Cummings, you will have a hermaphrodite that is worth $5,000.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
When you are done installing the Cummings, you will have a hermaphrodite that is worth $5,000.

OK... was there a point to that opinion?

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by KFWA
saw this and thought of this thread

I have a 2004, mine has 214,000, guess there is a lot more left. They made some changes to the motor in the middle of 2004, more torque I think.

Last edited by hanco; 12/08/21.
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

137 members (1_deuce, 673, 2500HD, 5sdad, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 22 invisible), 1,856 guests, and 953 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,976
Posts18,499,496
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.