Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Armednfree
I don't buy that "Shining star" and depicted for one minute. They were Magi and there for were astrologers. They were following a planetary alignment, Jupiter, the king planet, in conjunction with the movements of Mars. If it was a shining star then anyone could follow it. The Magi did not go to Bethlehem as depicted, and were not present at Jesus's birth. They went to his house in Nazareth as much as two years later.
No, they went to Bethlehem. Apparently after Jesus was born, his parents stayed there rather than going home. Right after the Magi were there, Herod killed all the boys in town which caused them to flee to Egypt. After Herod died, they returned and then settled in Nazareth.

Matt 2:7 Then Herod summoned the wise men secretly and ascertained from them what time the star had appeared.
8 And he sent them to Bethlehem, saying, "Go and search diligently for the child, and when you have found him, bring me word, that I too may come and worship him."

Whatever the star was, it was low enough to sit directly over a specific house and point it out to the Magi. Nothing above the atmosphere could do that.
Matt 2:9 After listening to the king, they went on their way. And behold, the star that they had seen when it rose went before them until it came to rest over the place where the child was.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CashisKing
"Faith" to me (and me alone)... is knowing that when I stand alone against ANY adversary... OR fall down exhausted and helpless as a broke leg kitten... that I am NOT alone. The power that provides me... to regain my footing has been lived for many years.
Sounds like a good relationship with Him.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
“And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith.”
Well....yea.....As uncomfortable as it is for you, that's something you should consider.
It’s not a doubt. It’s clearly a positive affirmation from Apostle Paul. Paul, who was a Pharisee, he knew the Law and the Prophets inside and out, and he loved it. And he arrived at the conclusion that it all rises and falls on the death and resurrection of Jesus. Period. He didn’t say this about anything else…!

Paul.....who never met Jesus in the Flesh....writing at least 40 years after the alleged events.....again, not a great source.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
By faith we believe it to be true

Faith is not a pathway to truth.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Then why the need for masks?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by DBT
It did only take them a short time to get there. However, they sinned badly and God condemned them to stay in the desert until the current generation of fighting age men died off. When they finally went in, it was a young army. They did more or less move in circles. There was a couple million of them and it took a lot of provender for all their livestock. God provided food for the people for the entire time.

They were much the same people before, during and after the exodus. Human nature doesn't change in 40 years. Beliefs are passed from generation to generation. If you could take a baby from that period and raise him in our society, he would be like one of us. It's a matter of environment and education. Something that an omnipotent creator of universes should be able to handle.

The Jews have had an attitude as long as they've been Jews. They bitched and moaned from the day they left Egypt. When they refused to enter the promised land, God had had enough and was going to kill them on the spot. However, Moses begged him not to so instead God condemned them to wander in the wilderness until the current generation of men had died off. It was punishment for those who had sinned. It wasn't a change in their nature. Numbers 14 relates the event but it's too long to post here.
The people who had left Egypt had lived with the Egyptian gods for 400 years. They were given the law shortly after the exodus but they hadn't lived under it. After 40 years, the new generation had grown up in the law and were more used to how God wanted things done.

Except the part where none of it ever happened. Modern Biblical Scholars accept that Moses never existed, and the exodus as portrayed in the Bible never happened.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It did only take them a short time to get there. However, they sinned badly and God condemned them to stay in the desert until the current generation of fighting age men died off. When they finally went in, it was a young army. They did more or less move in circles. There was a couple million of them and it took a lot of provender for all their livestock. God provided food for the people for the entire time.

I cannot believe there was a band of 2,000,000 Jewish nomads wandering about. Think about it.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Paul.....who never met Jesus in the Flesh....writing at least 40 years after the alleged events.....again, not a great source.
Paul met the resurrected Jesus. And Paul’s epistles were written between 17 and 25 years after Jesus’ resurrection, during the height of his missionary activity. They are the earliest surviving Christian texts.

Our best surviving biography of Alexander the Great comes from nearly five hundred years after his death...!

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Paul met the resurrected Jesus. And Paul’s epistles were written between 17 and 25 years after Jesus’ resurrection, during the height of his missionary activity. They are the earliest surviving Christian texts.

Our best surviving biography of Alexander the Great comes from nearly five hundred years after his death...!

We have many contemporary references to Alexander, coins with his image etc. and no modern person making supernatural claiming regarding him, nor claiming him as they Lord, Savior, and believe in these supernatural acts as a pathway to an everlasting paradise. These are much different claims that as such are subjected to very different standards of evidence.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. In ancient times it's alleged Alexander's mother claimed he was half god, like Hercules. I find both of those claims, as they apply to Alexander and Hercules as lacking in evidence, as I imagine you do as well. The difference is I also find the supernatural claims attributed to Jesus as lacking in evidence.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Hastings

I cannot believe there was a band of 2,000,000 Jewish nomads wandering about. Think about it.
I have thought about it. They started with 70 people going into Egypt. The Hebrews were known for being prolific and they had 435 years to breed with the girls often starting at age 12 or 13. The numbers are very credible. As far as 2 million nomads, they didn't need to find or grow food. It's told time after time that God himself fed them, a substance called manna in the Bible. Whatever it was, it was a complete diet.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

We have many contemporary references to Alexander, coins with his image etc. and no modern person making supernatural claiming regarding him, nor claiming him as they Lord, Savior, and believe in these supernatural acts as a pathway to an everlasting paradise. These are much different claims that as such are subjected to very different standards of evidence.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. In ancient times it's alleged Alexander's mother claimed he was half god, like Hercules. I find both of those claims, as they apply to Alexander and Hercules as lacking in evidence, as I imagine you do as well. The difference is I also find the supernatural claims attributed to Jesus as lacking in evidence.

The disciples spent 3 years with Jesus and witnessed what he did and witnessed his death and resurrection. Most of them died terrible deaths upholding Jesus' words. Why would they do that for a lie? Did Alexander's mother die that way? I doubt it. It's up to you to believe it not, your choice. My choice is to believe every word of it because Jesus proved who he is.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We have many contemporary references to Alexander, coins with his image etc. and no modern person making supernatural claims regarding him, nor claiming him as they Lord, Savior, and believe in these supernatural acts as a pathway to an everlasting paradise. These are much different claims that as such are subjected to very different standards of evidence.
lol

But we’ve been discussing the historicity of Jesus, and whether or not He existed. Period.

Now you’re moving the goalposts.

shocker

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

I have thought about it. They started with 70 people going into Egypt. The Hebrews were known for being prolific and they had 435 years to breed with the girls often starting at age 12 or 13. The numbers are very credible. As far as 2 million nomads, they didn't need to find or grow food. It's told time after time that God himself fed them, a substance called manna in the Bible. Whatever it was, it was a complete diet.

Kind of like the yellow UN food rations packages dropped in Ethiopian and Somalia?

Yea, so believable. I'm going to punish you by making you lost...but providing all your food so you don't have to work. Sounds like your God invented welfare.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
We have many contemporary references to Alexander, coins with his image etc. and no modern person making supernatural claims regarding him, nor claiming him as they Lord, Savior, and believe in these supernatural acts as a pathway to an everlasting paradise. These are much different claims that as such are subjected to very different standards of evidence.
lol

But we’ve been discussing the historicity of Jesus, and whether or not He existed. Period.

You brought Alexander into the argument, not me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You brought Alexander into the argument, not me.
lol

You asserted that since “Paul…who never met Jesus in the Flesh....writing at least 40 years after the alleged events.....” somehow discredited his texts as being “not a great source.”

And I pointed out, in response, that our best surviving biography of Alexander the Great comes from nearly five hundred years after his death...! From an author who clearly never met Alexander the Great in the flesh…!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Where did you get the number 2,000,000? I'm guessing it must be in the Moses section?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Where did you get the number 2,000,000? I'm guessing it must be in the Moses section?

Never mind, I found it. 600,000 fighting men plus women and children.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Nice masks, dick head.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
K
K22 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Armednfree
I don't buy that "Shining star" and depicted for one minute. They were Magi and there for were astrologers. They were following a planetary alignment, Jupiter, the king planet, in conjunction with the movements of Mars. If it was a shining star then anyone could follow it. The Magi did not go to Bethlehem as depicted, and were not present at Jesus's birth. They went to his house in Nazareth as much as two years later.
No, they went to Bethlehem. Apparently after Jesus was born, his parents stayed there rather than going home. Right after the Magi were there, Herod killed all the boys in town which caused them to flee to Egypt. After Herod died, they returned and then settled in Nazareth.

Matt 2:7 Then Herod summoned the wise men secretly and ascertained from them what time the star had appeared.
8 And he sent them to Bethlehem, saying, "Go and search diligently for the child, and when you have found him, bring me word, that I too may come and worship him."

Whatever the star was, it was low enough to sit directly over a specific house and point it out to the Magi. Nothing above the atmosphere could do that.
Matt 2:9 After listening to the king, they went on their way. And behold, the star that they had seen when it rose went before them until it came to rest over the place where the child was.

You are correct they were Astrologers. They were Astrolgers from Persia and they could read the Signs (Gen 1:14, Psalms 147:4) so "following a Star" would not have been what they did. If you know anything about Astrology you know this single Star following would not be true. The chances of them boing to Nazareth or Bethlehem or Palestine or any of those places would have been Ludacris. Since the belief is this all took place in Dec. the Constellation Sagittarius, then what these Magi seen was the Sun being crucified on the Southern Cross on Dec. 21st the resurrected 3 days later on the 25th to begin its journey into the Constellation Aries the Ram/Lamb in the time of the Spring equinox starting March 21 to April 19. In this journey the Sun climbed upon the mountain to be tempted, Capricorn, met up with the waterman John the Baptist in Feb, Aquarius, then became a fisher of men in March in the time of Pisces, continuing across the sky into Aries to become the Lamb of God, i.e. the Ram.
This is what the Magi would have seen. If it was literal like many have made the story, then it is extremely interesting that the only ones outside the immediate family who had any idea of this birth were 3 Astrologers from Persia. This after all the alleged writings in the OT concerning this birth, teachings that all the Preachers, Pastors, Priests, Bible Scholars, Church leaders, ect. the ones called Pharisees, Lawyers, Scribes, ect. were teaching and interpreting for years and not one of them or their followers showed up or had any inkling of an idea it was happening. smirk

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1234, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,449 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,939
Posts18,519,044
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.