Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Yep, farmer-tight / oilfield-tight has proved to cause some issues.
I was skeptical of 15-17 inch pounds of torque on rings.
But evenly applied, I have not had issues on any 338, 375, 416, or 458 Lott, even with the “heavier” European type scope.
I do believe occasionally there are some piss-poorly manufactured rings that make it into the market place.

Lol, I have seen a couple of the wasp-waisted scope tubes. They give a unique design to a scope tube.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by barnabus
Originally Posted by Oakster
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
So you drank the campfire Koolaid? This site has more than it's share of Leupold bashers. Interestingly that is not the case on some of the other sources of info. Not trying to change your mind just take what you see with a grain or two of salt.

The change in characters on the campfire over the last couple years coincides with the Leupold hate.... I will stick with them until I have issues.

lots of loud mouth idiots on the fire who find fault in anything except themselves..Ive been shooting Leupolds for over 40 years.I have about 20 of them and never had to send any back for repair. stay away from the Freedom series on magnum calibers.

A lot of people have experience that is very different from yours when it comes to Leup scopes. That doesn’t make them loud-mouth idiots.

Jordan:

You're correct as usual. Clearly one can be a LMI even if they never had a problem with a Leupold.

Last edited by Starbuck; 12/12/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Starbuck
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by barnabus
Originally Posted by Oakster
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
So you drank the campfire Koolaid? This site has more than it's share of Leupold bashers. Interestingly that is not the case on some of the other sources of info. Not trying to change your mind just take what you see with a grain or two of salt.

The change in characters on the campfire over the last couple years coincides with the Leupold hate.... I will stick with them until I have issues.

lots of loud mouth idiots on the fire who find fault in anything except themselves..Ive been shooting Leupolds for over 40 years.I have about 20 of them and never had to send any back for repair. stay away from the Freedom series on magnum calibers.

A lot of people have experience that is very different from yours when it comes to Leup scopes. That doesn’t make them loud-mouth idiots.

Jordan:

You're correct as usual. Clearly one can be a LMI even if they never had a problem with a Leupold.

Hah, that's certainly true!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by stringnut
The current consensus is that Leupold is not what they used to be and haven’t been for several years. So my question is what is a good alternative? I am not a long ranges knob twister in any way . All I need is good optics, reliability, decent adjustments without breaking the bank. 2-7, or 3-9, do anything I want. Will spend 500 to 600 bucks for a scope. Not going to put out thousands of dollars for something I don’t need. The wife is really screwed as she was a Nikon freak. One of her old scopes needed repair and she got a voucher toward binoculars. Harder than hell to mount and impossible to sight in.

It seems like you like Leupolds, so if you are unsure about the new ones, just buy a used one. Get yourself an older 3.5-10 for $300.00 - $400.00 and forget about all the bashing and BS in this thread. The warranty on the older scopes is still lifetime.... I've got a TON of Leupolds. Bought my first one in approx 1991. Over the years I've used Leupolds almost exclusively and I'm still waiting on a failure. Some I set and forget. Some I dial up, down, left and right. I've checked them for accuracy in adjustments and I've done box tests with them. I haven't been disappointed yet. Don't stress yourself out over it, just buy a clean used scope and carry on.

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by bobinpa
Originally Posted by stringnut
The current consensus is that Leupold is not what they used to be and haven’t been for several years. So my question is what is a good alternative? I am not a long ranges knob twister in any way . All I need is good optics, reliability, decent adjustments without breaking the bank. 2-7, or 3-9, do anything I want. Will spend 500 to 600 bucks for a scope. Not going to put out thousands of dollars for something I don’t need. The wife is really screwed as she was a Nikon freak. One of her old scopes needed repair and she got a voucher toward binoculars. Harder than hell to mount and impossible to sight in.

It seems like you like Leupolds, so if you are unsure about the new ones, just buy a used one. Get yourself an older 3.5-10 for $300.00 - $400.00 and forget about all the bashing and BS in this thread. The warranty on the older scopes is still lifetime.... I've got a TON of Leupolds. Bought my first one in approx 1991. Over the years I've used Leupolds almost exclusively and I'm still waiting on a failure. Some I set and forget. Some I dial up, down, left and right. I've checked them for accuracy in adjustments and I've done box tests with them. I haven't been disappointed yet. Don't stress yourself out over it, just buy a clean used scope and carry on.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

The proverbial golden nugget found after sifting thru the sand.

IC B2

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by LFC
I'm betting lot of scope / gun problems are likely self inflicted.....I know I've inflicted myself on more than one occasion working on something I shouldn't have be it guns, cars, plumbing, electrical the list is long.

Being a Jack of all trades is hard.

Somethings are better left to Gunsmiths....I'll go out on a limb and say that scope set up and mounting is one of those things that the Average jOe shouldn't tackle after watching a few You tube videos.

I have run into several gunsmiths over the years who didn't have much of a clue about mounting scopes. Have seen several tighten rings so much they left a visible "waist" in the scope tube, and often the pressure prevented the scope from adjusting correctly. In fact one of those claimed that ALL Leupold scopes are bad right out of the factory, due to his ham-handed idiocy.

I've ran into my share of bad gunsmiths....sad thing is at any moment one can go.bad.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by LFC
What did you say your Ebay name was ?

I don't have one.

My son is a full time EBay merchant. He lists as Pro 2A Solutions, and he's a serious 2A advocate, sells a lot of holsters, etc.

He'll be the one selling it. But can't do that until I get it back from Beaverton.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by LFC
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by LFC
I'm betting lot of scope / gun problems are likely self inflicted.....I know I've inflicted myself on more than one occasion working on something I shouldn't have be it guns, cars, plumbing, electrical the list is long.

Being a Jack of all trades is hard.

Somethings are better left to Gunsmiths....I'll go out on a limb and say that scope set up and mounting is one of those things that the Average jOe shouldn't tackle after watching a few You tube videos.

I have run into several gunsmiths over the years who didn't have much of a clue about mounting scopes. Have seen several tighten rings so much they left a visible "waist" in the scope tube, and often the pressure prevented the scope from adjusting correctly. In fact one of those claimed that ALL Leupold scopes are bad right out of the factory, due to his ham-handed idiocy.

I've ran into my share of bad gunsmiths....sad thing is at any moment one can go.bad.

Just got my new Maven 2-10x38 in and mounted it. They have instructions to tighten rings to 20 inch pounds.

I've read that 20 inch pounds is pretty close to what you can tighten one with the short end of the little wrench. That's what I do, although I do have a torque wrench, I find that easier and quicker.

I was working on a friends rifle and loosening the ring screws took full effort using the long end of the wrench. Those screws were a LOT tighter than 20 inch pounds, probably double or more. At least they went back at near 20 inch pounds, not "farmer tight"....

DF

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
“Just got my new Maven 2-10x38 in and mounted it. They have instructions to tighten rings to 20 inch pounds.”

Dirtfarmer
What do you think of the Maven?

Last edited by CoryP; 12/15/21.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by CoryP
“Just got my new Maven 2-10x38 in and mounted it. They have instructions to tighten rings to 20 inch pounds.”

Dirtfarmer

Very impressed with the glass. Better than VX-3i or 4200 Bushnell, closer to a Z-5 Swaro. Duplex about like the VX-3.

Adjustments seem crisp and precise, haven’t sighted it in yet.

ER is shorter than a Leupold, but that doesn’t seem to be an issue, at least on a .22-250. Would think twice about putting it on a big stomper.

1” tube is long enough to mount easily. Too many new scopes are too short, IMO.

So far, so good. Will report.

DF

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by LFC

Leupolds scopes are not for dummies

Nor for discerning consumers.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Burris

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Dirtfarmer

Very impressed with the glass. Better than VX-3i or 4200 Bushnell, closer to a Z-5 Swaro. Duplex about like the VX-3.

ER is shorter than a Leupold, but that doesn’t seem to be an issue, at least on a .22-250. Would think twice about putting it on a big stomper.

DF

I'm reading that eye relief is between 2 - 3 inches on the Maven 2-10X38, is this correct? "Eye relief @2x: 60-79mm @10x: 60-81mm"

Ed
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by LFC
What did you say your Ebay name was ?

I don't have one.

My son is a full time EBay merchant. He lists as Pro 2A Solutions, and he's a serious 2A advocate, sells a lot of holsters, etc.

He'll be the one selling it. But can't do that until I get it back from Beaverton.

DF

Thanks....I'll l be sure to not buy a Leupold scope from him

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Dirtfarmer

Maven....heck of a name for a rifle scope.

I nominate it for the Bruce Jenner Award.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Dirtfarmer

DF

I noticed the short ER, 3.11-3.19 inches, the other day while I was perusing them. A good thing is that you shouldn't have to compensate for that much when changing from one power to the other. I could live with that on most rifles, as long as I could get it mounted so I can throw the bolt without banging my poor old nose. Having to lift or turn my head is unacceptable.

Still, on balance, I’ll pay another hundred and stick with the Accupoint 3-9 w/duplex. For another $145, the Toric 2-10 gives a lot more ER, includes a turret kit wit zero stop if you decide you need to dial, and 10 more moa on tap, but is a lot heavier.

The Maven reminds me of the SWFA 2-10, but executed a bit better, and worth the extra money.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by LFC

Dirtfarmer

Maven....heck of a name for a rifle scope.

I nominate it for the Bruce Jenner Award.

Why? Was it originally masquerading as a German scope?

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Pappy348

I noticed the short ER, 3.11-3.19 inches, the other day while I was perusing them.

"the other day while I was perusing them"....

That has kind of a Nigerian ring to it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A quick google says that Maven ain’t cheap.

I say add a couple hundie and get a Zeiss V4 demo unit from RHR. Zeiss > Maven.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
A quick google says that Maven ain’t cheap.

I say add a couple hundie and get a Zeiss V4 demo unit from RHR. Zeiss > Maven.

I'd get another Tract they are top notch

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 1badf350, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 49 invisible), 2,233 guests, and 1,137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,345
Posts18,506,187
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.