Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I thought lead pipes went out with the Romans back about 200AD ......what's with this lead pipe replacement crap and billions of dollars .....if it's a damned little solder joint that ain't going to kill you turn the water on it'll work just fine.... lead in a solder joint is a whole lot different than a LeaD pipe . They said don't eat lead paint chips in the 60's ......no chit.......I never did "start" eating them ... mad This Administration has been eating fishing sinkers-lead ones by the Dozen imo, listen to that living Raggedy Ann doll we got for a press secretary ..... and Brandon my God ...them people are freaking hurting...the lead pipes should be used up side their heads...

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just how much dirt and dust and burnt diesel fuel fumes are going to be used to dig up these so-called pipes and then where you going to put them..... idiots

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Our city utility started replacing lead services 10 years ago.

I got a nice 12ft section of 1” (OD) service line weighs about 90 lbs. super soft.

Catfish sinkers baybee!!!!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Many Michigan municipal water systems used lead pipes back in the day to connect residential service to water mains. Only a few progressive local governments....East Lansing or example...have taken the initiative to get rid of lead service lines. Failure to upgrade to non-toxic service lines seems to be a mixture of ignorant elected officials/decision makers, poorly managed city budgets, declining tax base and neighborhood income decline.

In Flint, all of the above applied combined with a change in water source which slightly altered treated water chemistry, still within federal guidelines, and the new chemistry removed material that had accumulated and coated the inside of lead residential service lines. And caused leaching of lead into household drinking water. This is an oversimplification of the Flint situation. Other factors included, but were not limited to, aging and failing/leaking/broken water mains and in some some area significantly oversized water mains that acted like reservoirs with long holding times. The latter due to demolition of GM parts plants that had high water consumption.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Many Michigan municipal water systems used lead pipes back in the day to connect residential service to water mains. Only a few progressive local governments....East Lansing or example...have taken the initiative to get rid of lead service lines. Failure to upgrade to non-toxic service lines seems to be a mixture of ignorant elected officials/decision makers, poorly managed city budgets, declining tax base and neighborhood income decline.

In Flint, all of the above applied combined with a change in water source which slightly altered treated water chemistry, still within federal guidelines, and the new chemistry removed material that had accumulated and coated the inside of lead residential service lines. And caused leaching of lead into household drinking water. This is an oversimplification of the Flint situation. Other factors included, but were not limited to, aging and failing/leaking/broken water mains and in some some area significantly oversized water mains that acted like reservoirs with long holding times. The latter due to demolition of GM parts plants that had high water consumption.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Boolits! laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Astonishing to me that lead water pipes are still in use. Lead poisoning will destroy a person.
What are we, Haiti?

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

How else you gonna get lead in yer pencil.........if you ain't drinking outta lead pipes?????????

I hadda hook up my well with lead pipes.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
He!! what good is lead in your pencil if you ain't got nobody to write to.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Haven't you ever heard of Pen pals , gassy..........

you post too much , by the way........

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Boolits! laugh

Hells Yeah!

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Laws to remove lead in drinking water have been in place for many years. To subsidize removal of those that still exist is just like the dimocrats' practice of rewarding criminals for their behavior. Instead of sending our tax money to remove those pipes, they should fine the crap out of those municipalities/agencies/companies and use that money to take care of the problem.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stevelyn
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Boolits! laugh

Hells Yeah!

The service line my distribution manager kicked with foot didnt even move. He says here throw this one in your pickup and make sinkers out of. lol

We had a 10 yard shallow dumpster will gutted services in it. Couldnt let the dumpster get too full or the hauler couldnt winch it up.
All went to recycle. I shouldve got a couple more. But I already dozens a lead roofing plumbing flashings i collected stripping opd houses.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bpas105
Laws to remove lead in drinking water have been in place for many years. To subsidize removal of those that still exist is just like the dimocrats' practice of rewarding criminals for their behavior. Instead of sending our tax money to remove those pipes, they should fine the crap out of those municipalities/agencies/companies and use that money to take care of the problem.

Capitol Projects money and grants to pull it out. It was accepted practice in the 40-50s to use lead services, and lead welding/soldering of main unions and bells. Capital Projects money oversaw it then on the install.

Had to build rapidly to house all you boomers and greatest generation breeders.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

730 grain .458s... mouse fart quiet

I loves me some scrap lead.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Astonishing to me that lead water pipes are still in use. Lead poisoning will destroy a person.
What are we, Haiti?

Lead in a solid form is not water soluble .

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by atvalaska
"that living Raggedy Ann doll we got for a press secretary"

You mean "Peppermint Patty Psaki"?
I believe Biden has been drinking from lead plumbing his entire life - a condition common amongst liberals.
We definitely need to fix that problem.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by steve4102
What are we, Haiti?

Some of the chemicals in the water react with the lead, however.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Originally Posted by steve4102
What are we, Haiti?

Some of the chemicals in the water react with the lead, however.

Such as?

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Lead is soluble in soft water, low pH water. Solubility goes down as pH goes up.
Use of lead pipes, solder, and pipe joint seals has been banned in construction of public water systems for long time (maybe the 60s?, don't want to look it up).
Lead service lines from water main to house are not part of the public water system, they are privately owned by the home owner, so not regulated as tightly.
There are still lots of lead service lines in older houses (millions?) I'm swagging, but if house built before 1950 I'd check for lead, maybe even stuff built in the 60s.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

157 members (44mc, 1eyedmule, 160user, 3333vl, 2UP, 308ld, 14 invisible), 1,544 guests, and 906 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,772
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.