Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Odd topic on a hunting forum but this place has experts on everything.

I want to find a program that will let me search thru several folders/sub directories of JSON and see all the examples of a certain value being used.

I'm trying to find a notepad++ extension that will do it. I really don't want to write a python program to do it if someone has already got an executable or an extension I can download

Here is it Xmas week and I'm supposed to be on vacation, but instead I'm phuggin around with this at work to make a customer happy.

Last edited by KFWA; 12/20/21.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Local Dirt or Shaman

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have not been able to find any apps or extensions to do that. I typically go to jsoneditoronline.org. You can paste your json in and then search. It does not provide a list of values found but you can find each one. Its quick and dirty but it works.

Last edited by JimFromTN; 12/20/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not a bona fide expert but I've worked with JSON a fair bit.

https://jsonformatter.org/json-parser

https://jsonparser.org/

Try one of these. Copy and paste your JSON formatted file on the left and the tree structure will be on the right. I haven't looked at them that closely but they seem to have filters to pick out strings.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Not a bona fide expert but I've worked with JSON a fair bit.

https://jsonformatter.org/json-parser

https://jsonparser.org/

Try one of these. Copy and paste your JSON formatted file on the left and the tree structure will be on the right. I haven't looked at them that closely but they seem to have filters to pick out strings.

jsoneditoronline.org does the same thing but has a search function.

IC B2

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm looking at 400+ files , it would be a game changer for me if I could search multiple files.
Ideally I'd like to be able to write some JSON and have it auto fill in from the sub directory files.

Notepad++ is pretty good about searching thru multiple files for text but its not a smart search, I need a specific extension that does it for JSON.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bash script?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KFWA
Notepad++ is pretty good about searching thru multiple files for text but its not a smart search, I need a specific extension that does it for JSON.

Not a JSON expert, but why can't you filter the NP++ search to only include the directories and file extensions you want to look at?

Politics is War by Other Means
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
How much Python do you know?
It has both a JSON library that's very handy for working with it.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
yea very little unfortunately.

I am unpacking the directories locally now and when it finishes I will see what NP++ can do OOTB

IC B3

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Hmm... Notepad++. Sounds like M$. Can't help much there. On Unix I'd probably use egrep/find or perl. I don't know to what extent these have been ported to M$.

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I installed a program called XML Spy. No idea how good it is but it has a similar find in files feature that notepad++ has. I was able to find some documentation that has all the declarative UI statements, so I'll just manually search thru them today.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
On unix or linux, I would just grep / egrep for the value. Depending on the version of windows you are on, you may be able to do the same, although it is a hidden feature.

Happy Holidays.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You need a bash shell and use grep, Mac or linux are your huckelberry for stuff like that.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
thanks, I'm crunched for time but I'll look into after Xmas when I'm bumming around the house

I'm using the search in files feature to walk thru the attribute values. Its tedious but I'm making progress.

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I ended up installing Microsoft Visual Studio Code (not visual studio).

It doesn't build the schema dictionary like I hoped but its a pretty powerful tool for I assume free. I just downloaded and installed it after a recommendation in some documentation I was using.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 257robertsimp, 99Ozarks, 7mm_Loco, 9 invisible), 1,162 guests, and 724 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,685
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.