Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
A terrible thing has happened. I asked my lovely bride to buy some diesel engine oil for my 5600 Ford tractor. She came back with Walmart Super Tech 10W30 High Mileage Full Synthetic which is not for diesel engines and besides that is a store brand probably made by a low bidder.

For you folks that know: Is this decent oil that I could eventually use in my 2005 Toyota Tundra? It usually gets Mobil 1, or Rotella Gas Truck synthetic 5W30. What about my Generac 22 KW standby generator? The ATVs aren't supposed to use synthetic and I don't think it ought to go in that 40 year old diesel tractor.

Anybody out there had long term experience with Walmart's house brand of synthetic oil? Good or bad? I had rather take a beating than go through customer service at Walmart to return it.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Use it...folks on bobistheoilguy say its good stuff. Personally I used 5w-30 in my truck and I had no issues.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
I use the stuff all the time... I believe it is made in the same factory as Mobil 1... same formula? Same PTFE? No idea.

But I use it all the time.

Wrong weight for a tractor (probably), but not sure of your machine. Some diesels do take 30.

Last edited by CashisKing; 12/24/21. Reason: Typos

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Pretty sure its made by Warren Oil Co.
Similar to or same as Costco"s Kirkland oil.

Good Stuff...

Last edited by billtrev; 12/24/21.

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CashisKing
I use the stuff all the time... I believe it is made in the same factory as Mobil 1... same formula? Same PTFE? No idea.

Wrong weight for a tractor (probably), but not sure of your machine. Some diesels do take 30.

The tractor is diesel, the oil is for gas engines. Originally 30 wt. was recommended, but on the advice of my tractor mechanic I went to multi-viscosity 15 W 40 Rotella or Chevron. Only put about 100 hours a year on it so I change it every December.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I buy it. Funny part is, people have been debating oil for decades, but usually sell their vehicle well before it would ever wear out from inferior oil. My Honda has 236k on it right now, i just change my oil every 5k or so with whatever is on sale.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I just read that it's made by Warren Oil Co who also makes Exxon/Mobile and Pennzoil. It looks like it's pretty good stuff, comparable to Mobile 1 but cheaper.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'd use it in the Toyota IF the owners manual calls for that weight oil. I would not use it in the tractor. I'd do some research regarding the generac, but I'd probably use it if the owners manual called for 10w30 weight. I use Walmart super tech full synthetic 10w30 in all my small gas engines. Pressure washer, log splitter, Honda 4wheeler john deere side by side, and everything else that has a gas engine. Never had an engine give me a problem. I switched all my small engines over to the super tech years ago because I was tired of keeping so many different oils. The key is using the proper weight oil as stated by the manufacturer. Everything else is gravy. Ymmv.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by CashisKing

The tractor is diesel, the oil is for gas engines. Originally 30 wt. was recommended, but on the advice of my tractor mechanic I went to multi-viscosity 15 W 40 Rotella or Chevron. Only put about 100 hours a year on it so I change it every December.

Gotcha...

Rotilla makes a 10w-30 and a 30 straight. I have diesels that spec 30... I give them 30 or 10W-30.

As for the oil... if engine specs say 5w-30... I would not personally use a 10w.

Our new Toyota specs 0W-16... yes 0W-16. Just bought a 5 gallon jug of that stuff... crazy rare... crazy expensive.

I do add zinc often anyway... older stuff and small engine gas.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I just read that it's made by Warren Oil Co who also makes Exxon/Mobile and Pennzoil. It looks like it's pretty good stuff, comparable to Mobile 1 but cheaper.

Exactly!
Did my research, and got Blessings from Several, Friend's who I consider Experts,
as this it what they've done for a Living, for a Long Time.

Been using it for a few yrs. now, and I am extremely happy with it!

Instead of 30 wt. oil in my several small Engines, we use Full Synthetic, 5w30, in all our small Engines.
A year Later it still Looks New, or Honey Brown!

Lasts a lot longer, and works Better!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Hastings
A terrible thing has happened. I asked my lovely bride to buy some diesel engine oil for my 5600 Ford tractor. She came back with Walmart Super Tech 10W30 High Mileage Full Synthetic which is not for diesel engines and besides that is a store brand probably made by a low bidder.

For you folks that know: Is this decent oil that I could eventually use in my 2005 Toyota Tundra? It usually gets Mobil 1, or Rotella Gas Truck synthetic 5W30. What about my Generac 22 KW standby generator? The ATVs aren't supposed to use synthetic and I don't think it ought to go in that 40 year old diesel tractor.

Anybody out there had long term experience with Walmart's house brand of synthetic oil? Good or bad? I had rather take a beating than go through customer service at Walmart to return it.

Been Running Heavy Equipment over 40 yrs. and always used Rotella, which I can't Complain about, as a friend told me Lately that Rotella price has skyrocketed!
I'm glad I quit using it years ago!
Been Saving a lot of Money over the years!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
All oil is made to a specification. A retailer has no incentive to exceed that.

Just get a good filter like NAPA gold.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To nitpick, it's Warren Distribution, not Warren Oil Co. that makes oil for WalMart, Costco, and Amazon.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use it all the time, but buy a better filter. No need to piss away $$$

Romans 5:1
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I buy it. Funny part is, people have been debating oil for decades, but usually sell their vehicle well before it would ever wear out from inferior oil. My Honda has 236k on it right now, i just change my oil every 5k or so with whatever is on sale.

^^^^^^^
This

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Good Oil... i have been using it for over 600k miles in two trucks

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you have a vehicle or equipment that calls for 10W30, use it up!

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

use it all the time.....0w20 & 5w30

$18 for a 5 qt jug....

just ordered 2 online......free shipping too

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by ironbender

---- THIS -----
Spend the extra money on top shelf filters.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by OldSchool_BestSchool
Originally Posted by ironbender

---- THIS -----
Spend the extra money on top shelf filters.

I Agree!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,514 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,593
Posts18,492,171
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.