Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
K
KRAKMT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K

Had my alarm set for 4 am this morning to go cow elk hunt.
Morning temp was -4 and snowing hard, I elected the snooze button.

I rallied at about 9 since it was up to zero. I have a two hour drive to my camper.
I elected to take a different route to avoid a steep hill that can be treacherous.

Driving to camp, the snow was blowing hard and dropped in temperature.

I did see elk on a point that I have hunted in the past, but I had not called ahead for permission this time, so they were just good to see.

Going further in it started to get deeper, drifts were getting harder and the radio was calling for 20 below tonight.
Never saw another sole. Was cutting fresh tracks.

I got to a spot that I really had to decide forward or back.

I called a retreat. Getting stuck at 20 below just felt a little risky.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I don't blame you

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Smart man

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can't say I've ever turned around from an elk or any kind of hunt because it was too cold, but I pussed out from moose hunting today because of the amount of snow falling. It just hasn't let up and sharing the highway with a bunch of 18-20 year old soldiers from Texas who have never driven on ice before was too much for me. I turned around and came home.

16 inches or so and plows not running much, if at all. Even when they do get going, they berm up all the small side roads, so pulling off of the highway is really tough to do.

Oh well. At least I can play on the 'Fire. If this was my last chance I'd of done it but I still have time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rain can keep me in, but temps are never an issue.

1Minute
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Coldest I’ve ever elk hunted was an honest -32F. Yeah, can’t say cold has ever stopped me, but heavy wind and blizzards absolutely have.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by KRAKMT

Had my alarm set for 4 am this morning to go cow elk hunt.
Morning temp was -4 and snowing hard, I elected the snooze button.

I rallied at about 9 since it was up to zero. I have a two hour drive to my camper.
I elected to take a different route to avoid a steep hill that can be treacherous.

Driving to camp, the snow was blowing hard and dropped in temperature.

I did see elk on a point that I have hunted in the past, but I had not called ahead for permission this time, so they were just good to see.

Going further in it started to get deeper, drifts were getting harder and the radio was calling for 20 below tonight.
Never saw another sole. Was cutting fresh tracks.

I got to a spot that I really had to decide forward or back.

I called a retreat. Getting stuck at 20 below just felt a little risky.

Conversion Result: -4 Fahrenheit = -19.99 Celsius

Fuck me...screw that!

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I remember right it was about -25°F when I killed this cow. I can think of two others I have killed at -20°F or so. Honestly, the worst part of it is breaking the critters down in that cold. I don't like wearing insulating gloves when deboning and my god do my hands get cold when covered in blood in those temps, and trim meat starts freezing up fast. I have hunted in colder temps down to about -40°F for birds and checking traps. I honestly don't mind it if I am prepared for it, but throw wind into the mix and I'll normally bow out.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I have had several guns go "click" in those conditions due to the firing pin being too sluggish or straight up freeze solid, so a guy has to degrease and dry graphite lube the bolt or use some other low temp oil. I have however pretty much quit bowhunting in those temps because I am afraid the limbs on my bow would shatter from being brittle.

Good times with the beardcicles!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 1minute
Rain can keep me in, but temps are never an issue.

I’ll take cold anytime over rain… if a guy wants a real Blacktail or Roosevelt, though, better get used to rain.. 👍

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_Inman
If I remember right it was about -25°F when I killed this cow. I can think of two others I have killed at -20°F or so. Honestly, the worst part of it is breaking the critters down in that cold. I don't like wearing insulating gloves when deboning and my god do my hands get cold when covered in blood in those temps, and trim meat starts freezing up fast. I have hunted in colder temps down to about -40°F for birds and checking traps.

Hah, I’ve done plenty of BG hunting down to -40 C/F, and my favourite part of hunting in that kind of weather is putting my hands in the warm carcass when field dressing/deboning. Surgical gloves are helpful to prevent wet blood from freezing to my skin when the work is done. Just pop the surgical gloves off and the insulated mittens back on.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My coldest hunt was outside of Tok, Alaska hunting on snow machines and 4 wheelers for caribou. -35*F

That was cold!!!

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by T_Inman
If I remember right it was about -25°F when I killed this cow. I can think of two others I have killed at -20°F or so. Honestly, the worst part of it is breaking the critters down in that cold. I don't like wearing insulating gloves when deboning and my god do my hands get cold when covered in blood in those temps, and trim meat starts freezing up fast. I have hunted in colder temps down to about -40°F for birds and checking traps.

Hah, I’ve done plenty of BG hunting down to -40 C/F, and my favourite part of hunting in that kind of weather is putting my hands in the warm carcass when field dressing/deboning. Surgical gloves are helpful to prevent wet blood from freezing to my skin when the work is done. Just pop the surgical gloves off and the insulated mittens back on.

Very true, but that's like crawling back into a warm sleeping bag after getting out to take a leak. It feels good but I dread knowing I gotta crawl back out at some point. The surgical gloves help with the blood no doubt but I usually have one hand on the knife and away from the body heat, and I find the gloves usually break at some point, especially in that kind of cold.

I also enjoy a good Sunday afternoon but it is like trying to enjoy your last meal before the execution...Your point is well taken though, and very valid.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
LOL, very true.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Look around for heavier high top gloves in cleaning supplies. They're much warmer than surgical type gloves and stronger, too.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Last year's Idaho bull tag was punched at -15*. The SUCK part was being 8 miles from camp on a wheeler and the shift indicator freeze up. The rig wouldn't go into 4wd and thwre was no way to get out without it. I had to hike to a mtntop to get a wiring diagram so i could rig up q jumper. Completely not awesome when it's cold.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I have found that a thin cotton liner worn inside a pair of gorilla gloves is perfect for cold work where dexterity is needed. For extended durations, place a sticky-backed toe warmer on the back of your hand on top of the liner before slipping the gorilla glove on.

Pitter Patter!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
-16 is as cold as I've hunted in here in Utah. I love hunting in snow/cold until it gets single digit, then I'm squirming. If its going to be awhile breaking them down I first of all build a fire real close. Tallow seems to build up faster than I can wipe it off my blade. I also use several knives too, just to hurry the process, but the fire helps!

I found my "too cold" back in '72 in West Germany as a soldier...a few storms were -40, drifts filled ditches that some tracked howitzers went out of sight in, ha....in Korean War Era wool and canvas clothes(no Gore-Tex or Thinsulate! )...brrr! My feet sweat bad, so I was wearing the Mickey Mouse boots for "one day" and my feet went numb...for 9 days! I fell back to one pair of wool socks and well daubed Jump Boots! whoa!! But I was raised 70 miles from Galveston, Tx too! ha Might say I was a bit thin skinned for that kind of cold! smile

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 12/27/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brrrrr you guys can keep that stuff. Makes me glad I live in the desert. Just got back from a cow elk hunt in NM and it was around zero F. Been a long time since I was in that kind of temp. My guide was in fingerless gloves and no hat. No thank you!

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I'd say that's a good call. There will be other days.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
K
KRAKMT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Just to clarify, I didn’t make it to camp, I had about 25 more miles of rough county that may not have been passable. Likely would have required chains and probably shoveling snow.

I would have enjoyed a hunt and I did enjoy seeing elk, but I must be getting old and scared.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

667 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 73 invisible), 2,289 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,957
Posts18,480,454
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.