Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by bellydeep
I think you said something to the effect of “the 30-06 is probably the best everyman’s elk cartridge.”

I always thought thought was my saying. I don't remember ever reading it anywhere, but at age 60 I'm smart enough not to trust my memory, and John certainly could have penned it (and probably did)! As they say when it comes to ideas, "amateurs borrow, professional's steal." grin

I do know for a fact, "cartridges are more alike than different" is my original. And on that thought, I've taken elk with the 270 Win, 7-08, 308, 30-06, 300 WSM, and 338 WM, and seen elk taken with many more.They all kill well, but the bigger stuff is no longer fun to me. I've hung my hat on the 6.5 CM, 270, and 308 for any and all future elk hunting (or any hunting).

What happened to the 7mm-08?

If he tried it, he may throw his 308 in the weeds..

Reading impaired, or just comprehension impaired?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by MT_DD_FAN
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Amazing how a topic on elk cartridges turns into one on bear stopping.

Not around the campfire of fools with foul mouths and no manners...LOL!

It seems they will type things they would not say in person to another man’s face. I try not to get caught up in the word slinging, but this is over the top. We have a professional who spends his valuable time answering our dumb ass questions. That crap is rude and uncalled for.

+1 Hanco, and that applies not only to Mule Deer, but Phil Shoemaker too. We're lucky to have both and personally, I don't want some fool alienating either one. Life is too short for that kind of fooliishness.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Originally Posted by Royce
Someone should inform 458win that the 30/06 is not adequate to stop a bear…

I remember that guy - he was the one explaining what bullets he thought were effective for shooting client's bears in the ass. You should get him in here - here's just the clown this thread needs laugh

Between Phil Shoemaker, who’s probably been in on the killing of more grizzly sub-species animals than anyone on the planet, and LB, it’s extremely obvious whose opinion is based on a lot of empirical data, and whose is based on emotion and faulty logic, and it’s not even close.

This.

You've got the wrong idea. Phil is a fount of knowledge no one else has. Why, we were discussing the behavior of Woodleigh softs, and he was able to pop in and tell us he was disappointed using one on the northernmost end of a southbound bear. Now who else is going to have that kind of specific, actionable knowledge? So of course we asked him to provide details - how exactly had the Woodleigh failed? But when specifics were asked, Phil disappeared like an ursine backside through the alders. I guess the ass of america's great bears waits for no man...

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 01/05/22.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Dude. We are super sorry your buddy didn't keep himself alive. Maybe an airstrike next time?

However the odds are about the same as dying from covid and the rest of us are fine with the risks we take.

You have added zero to the conversation. So GFY and find somewhere else to hang out that meets your kingly standards, azzhole.

Keep on driving with your mask on sweetie.

Last edited by mjbgalt; 01/05/22.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Y'all think maybe Bob Brown is now a Llama?

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Mule Deer,

Have you worked with the 6.5-300 Weatherby anymore? I vaguely recall an article.

Reloading information is really hard to come by. Thoughts?

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
He’s got a familiar ring to another 2 or 3 screen names that have/had an answer to every question.

Originally Posted by mjbgalt

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by viking
Mule Deer,

Have you worked with the 6.5-300 Weatherby anymore? I vaguely recall an article.

Reloading information is really hard to come by. Thoughts?

Did the article on the 6.5-.300 for the HODGDON ANNUAL MANUAL back when the cartridge first appeared. Worked with it considerably for a couple years, but finally decided I didn't care for the recoil compared to the results. Basically found it got exactly the same ballistics as the 26 Nosler with the same powders, charges and bullets, which isn't surprising given that both cases have just about exactly the same powder capacity.

But eventually decided I didn't care for the recoil of either round, compared to the results. These days am much happier with the 6.5 PRC, which is essentially a short-action 6.5-06--which I also used for a while and liked a lot. But my custom Sisk PRC weighs a couple pounds less than the 6.5-06 Shaw rifle I used for several year.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mjbgalt

He was definitely a big mouth douche

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Seems he could be directly related to Mike Werner same know it all attitude?

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 01/05/22.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Dolly Llama showed his azz again.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well I have carried a 338 WM for years. I have only dealt with a grizz in wyo. I was outside of Cody and never seen him. He was outside my tent trying to get in the bear box, he moved on. I had killed a deer a few days before and hung it outside of a campground about 1/4 mile +. I heard him woofing from that general area. In the morning I dropped of a hunting partner so he could head up the hills to hunt. My other buddy and I headed to where my deer and his was hung up. He had killed and hung his the day before, driving up to the tree he remarks why is my deer so low and where is yours?. All that was left of mine was his head and part of a chewed up hind quarter twisted up in a rope. It was laying up the hill. My buddy lost both hind quarters they were shredded and eaten on. My best guess is my buddy used part of my rope to hang his and ended up lowering mine to hang his.
Anyways I backed up the truck under his and stood guard with the 338 while he took what was left of his deer and my head onto the tailgate. I guess the stopping rifle is more about what you feel comfortable with and shoot well. Most of us don’t have the experience to make decision based on actual experience, so people like MD and Phil opinions are beneficial.
I hunted another time in Wyo with a fishing guide from Alaska.
, he told me about killing a charging grizzly at very close distance, his rifle was chambered in 416 rem. Can’t argue about the stopping power or whether he was comfortable with his choice.
Jeff

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Now who else is going to have that kind of specific, actionable knowledge?

Obviously not you.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by bellydeep
I think you said something to the effect of “the 30-06 is probably the best everyman’s elk cartridge.”

I always thought thought was my saying. I don't remember ever reading it anywhere, but at age 60 I'm smart enough not to trust my memory, and John certainly could have penned it (and probably did)! As they say when it comes to ideas, "amateurs borrow, professional's steal." grin

I do know for a fact, "cartridges are more alike than different" is my original. And on that thought, I've taken elk with the 270 Win, 7-08, 308, 30-06, 300 WSM, and 338 WM, and seen elk taken with many more.They all kill well, but the bigger stuff is no longer fun to me. I've hung my hat on the 6.5 CM, 270, and 308 for any and all future elk hunting (or any hunting).

What happened to the 7mm-08?

If he tried it, he may throw his 308 in the weeds..

Reading impaired, or just comprehension impaired?
The 7mm-08 is a very balanced cartridge when you pour over ballistic charts, whereas the 308 is a very balanced cartridge.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I like the 325WSM. Power when it's needed, otherwise OK to be loaded at pussycat speeds. Bulletmaker support be damned, brass support be damned-ish (300WSM lends itself). <400 yards isn't hunting so... yeah all do well when placed properly. Some do better when things are sub-optimal.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by smallfry
The 7mm-08 is a very balanced cartridge when you pour over ballistic charts, whereas the 308 is a very balanced cartridge.

So well said, and absolutely mirrors my experience with both rounds.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Part of me just died inside…

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's a sad commentary on the times when Real Deal respected people...willing to share their expertise and experiences...get thrashed and harassed here. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Quote from Puddles post

I tell them to start first at the bullet and then work backwards towards how it's delivered.

Well put IMHO

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S

Part of me just died inside…

I don’t believe that for a moment! grin Your 7mm-08 posts have always been inspirational. I still hunt with mine.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (1beaver_shooter, 1moredeer, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 65 invisible), 2,597 guests, and 1,395 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,449
Posts18,471,018
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.