Well I have carried a 338 WM for years. I have only dealt with a grizz in wyo. I was outside of Cody and never seen him. He was outside my tent trying to get in the bear box, he moved on. I had killed a deer a few days before and hung it outside of a campground about 1/4 mile +. I heard him woofing from that general area. In the morning I dropped of a hunting partner so he could head up the hills to hunt. My other buddy and I headed to where my deer and his was hung up. He had killed and hung his the day before, driving up to the tree he remarks why is my deer so low and where is yours?. All that was left of mine was his head and part of a chewed up hind quarter twisted up in a rope. It was laying up the hill. My buddy lost both hind quarters they were shredded and eaten on. My best guess is my buddy used part of my rope to hang his and ended up lowering mine to hang his.
Anyways I backed up the truck under his and stood guard with the 338 while he took what was left of his deer and my head onto the tailgate. I guess the stopping rifle is more about what you feel comfortable with and shoot well. Most of us don’t have the experience to make decision based on actual experience, so people like MD and Phil opinions are beneficial.
I hunted another time in Wyo with a fishing guide from Alaska.
, he told me about killing a charging grizzly at very close distance, his rifle was chambered in 416 rem. Can’t argue about the stopping power or whether he was comfortable with his choice.
Jeff