Bob,

I wasn't asking about other people's experience, but yours. You keep mentioning your vast experience hunting elk in Colorado, which hasn't had any grizzly/hunter confrontations since the late 1970s.

Yes, people get killed by grizzlies when guiding elk, and get mauled both when hunting and fishing. I would be willing to bet that I know more who've been mauled/attacked than you do, because I've lived and hunted in grizzly country here in Montana for all except for the few years I lived in other states.

Have run into grizzlies not only when hunting elk in Montana, but when hunting caribou, moose and black bears--along with fishing in various places.. Those encounters occurred not only in Montana, but Alaska, and Alberta, British Columbia and the Northwest and Nunavut Territories in Canada.

In fact was taking apart a bull moose in northern British Columbia with my guide when a grizzly tried to come in on the kill. Luckily the horses let us know, quite loudly, beforehand. We finished the job with one of us holding a rifle, and the other working with his rifle next to his hands. On that trip alone saw 9 grizzlies, including one we had to spook off by shooting at its feet.

Also know more than one brown bear (not grizzly) guide who's killed charging bears with the .30-06.

Would also like to know, since you obviously think you do, exactly what are "stopping" cartridges on grizzlies?

Have you ever seen a grizzly in the wild? Meaning not in a national park or zoo.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck