I've been elk hunting for 21 years and have been fortunate enough to kill my fair share of elk. With everything from a bow to 300 win mag. My last five elk with a rifle until this years bull were killed with a Kimber Montana 308 with a 165 accubond which has never required a follow up shot. This year I used a 30-06 in a Kimber Ascent with a 165 Accubond to take my bull. I would have used the Montana but my 12 year old son carried it and used it to take his first elk.
I think with the advancements in bullets over the years it has made a 308 a formable rival to the 30-06 with a little over 100 fps between the two. I've taken a few mule deer with a 30-06 as well and under 500 yards they are hard to beat, easy to load for and easy to find ammo for (in most years) at stores if you were ever in a pinch. But the same thing could be said for the 308 win I guess. If you told me to pick one between the two it would be hard for me to do. As for the magnum calibers I know the are elk medicine for sure but I find them to carry too heavy for me since I tend to put a lot of mile in during elk season. I always remembered that ounces makes pounds and over 10-12 miles a day makes tons.