Mule Deer:

I also enjoyed your article on the .284, even though I've never had one and likely never will. I'm still curious to learn about rifles and cartridges, even those I'll never experience. I also happened to notice that just two issues before your article was published, one of your colleagues wrote about the .22-284. In it, he disparaged the .284, claiming it would only get 3,000 fps with a 120-grain bullet, or only 2800 with a 150. I had read that article but not given it much thought when that issue arrived, but after re-reading that particular magazine while bored last week I caught the reference to the .284. My curiosity piqued, I then re-checked your results, and noticed you got 300 and 180 fps more, respectively, than your colleague's claims. Like you said above, sometimes rifle loonies just have to know rather than guess. I realize that data obtained by different people with different rifles does not, and should not, always agree, but I've always appreciated your common use of the phrase--when making a claim--that "I know this because . . ." followed by an explanation of something that you actually experienced rather than something you just heard or read about. You make a claim, and then cite evidence to support it. Evidence obtained by playing around with rifles is, after all, still evidence.

Anyway, didn't plan to own a .284 before reading the article, and don't plan to now, but it was still a very informative and enjoyable article. Kind of like enjoying a trip you didn't actually take, if that makes any sense.

Greg Perry

Last edited by gaperry59; 01/06/22.