Just tuned in to read all the opinions. I've never shot a grizzly so I have no opinion on how much gun is enough to put one down if needed. I will say that every grizzly I've encountered has run off once they've identified my/ our presence. Seems they smell and hear better than see. Having more people in your party makes for more noise and more scent. I recall one big boar running across Colter's Meadow to find a fresh elk gut pile stopped and stood up on his hind legs after reaching the gut pile with his nose straight up in the air trying to figure out what he was smelling. Three of us were sitting 100 yards upwind with three horses. Once he determined that it was people he was smelling he ran back across that meadow and up and over a nearby ridge without stopping for a second. It's happened several times like this. Even once by myself at a closer distance. Identify yourself and let the bear onto your presence before they get to close. Hunting with a buddy or two is better than packing a bigger rifle.

God Bless America