Page 2 of 2 1 2
AZmark Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Longbob
Are those two blue chairs?

Yep, Two chairs and a cross.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AZmark
Originally Posted by troutfly
Originally Posted by blanket
Hay shed

Yep, hay shed. See a few of them here in Southern Alberta.
Jeff

Why would someone make a hay shed so damn complicated to build?

AZ mark;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the weather is what you need down there and all in your world are healthy.

When Jeff mentioned he'd seen a few in Southern Alberta, it twigged some memories for me and I did a bit of digging.

It appears it's a variation of the Monitor barn design-

MONITOR
After 1910, the monitor design emerged in barn roof architecture. This design was a simple gabled barn with smaller sheds attached to either side and running the full length of the barn. This design became popular because it allowed unlimited windows, which gave the barn excellent lighting. This style was frequently utilized in commercial barns for that reason.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

My gut feeling is that whatever they were storing needed to be kept cooler and that open roof design would seemingly do that?

That's a guess on my part, but I know I've seen them somewhere and it might have been in Jeff's area in southern Alberta.

All the best to you in 2022.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Fancy way to keep grass dry. Looks like a bear to build.

"What's the point of being retired if you can't climb trees and wash your feet in the creek?" - Teal
AZmark Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Hay shed

Jeff

AZ mark;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the weather is what you need down there and all in your world are healthy.

When Jeff mentioned he'd seen a few in Southern Alberta, it twigged some memories for me and I did a bit of digging.

It appears it's a variation of the Monitor barn design-

MONITOR
After 1910, the monitor design emerged in barn roof architecture. This design was a simple gabled barn with smaller sheds attached to either side and running the full length of the barn. This design became popular because it allowed unlimited windows, which gave the barn excellent lighting. This style was frequently utilized in commercial barns for that reason.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

My gut feeling is that whatever they were storing needed to be kept cooler and that open roof design would seemingly do that?

That's a guess on my part, but I know I've seen them somewhere and it might have been in Jeff's area in southern Alberta.

All the best to you in 2022.

Dwayne

The roof is similar in the pic you sent but the framing is a lot different. Look at the angles of the upright supports on the pic I sent. seems like a complicated way to build something with all those angled cuts.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 405wcf
Barn....or is this a type of hay feeder?

This was my thought, but I'm no expert on barns.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Longbob
Are those two blue chairs?

Undoubtedly for beer drinkin'

Last edited by High_Noon; 01/05/22.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
When we get rain, we also get wind. That wouldn't keep anything dry.
It would sure be noisy in a downpour. You'd be hearing a dozen waterfalls.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hay shed

Jeff

I believe they were trying to accommodate the slope of the hillside with the multiple levels. If they had made it one long way shed, they would have either had to cut into the side of the hill or the front end that is facing us would have been 40 feet up in the air.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The way the support members attach so low, I'd have to say sun shade.
Would be hard to get equipment under anything except the sides - except from the sides (possibly).
Wouldn't work for anything we do.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
It could have been re-purposed for critters and hay. Around here, back in the day, everybody that had a little timber patch had a sawmill, usually a big circular that ran from tractor pto, sometimes a shake mill. Air circulation, keeping machinery dry, keeping sawdust dry (ever try to shovel wet sawdust?), portability, most were on skids, If I've seen one I've seen 20 of them quite similar. My shooting shack was re-purposed from a Mighty-Mite sawmill shed.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (007FJ, 219DW, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 63 invisible), 2,321 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,276
Posts18,486,677
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.