-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a very condescending flintlock. It kept telling me, “My way or the highway.” It was a challenge to be sure, this doing it different from my way. In the end I submitted. It will put 5 balls (yes, it has more than me) in about 1.5” @ 50 yds, offhand. It’s totally bizarre that it shoots better than my carbine shoots off a bench rest.

Someone asked earlier about who shoots offhand? I ain’t never killed a critter shootin’ from a bench. Not never.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
I have a very condescending flintlock. It kept telling me, “My way or the highway.” It was a challenge to be sure, this doing it different from my way. In the end I submitted. It will put 5 balls (yes, it has more than me) in about 1.5” @ 50 yds, offhand. It’s totally bizarre that it shoots better than my carbine shoots off a bench rest.

Someone asked earlier about who shoots offhand? I ain’t never killed a critter shootin’ from a bench. Not never.

Shooting sticks? I've killed multitudes of prarie dogs from a bench though.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

laugh

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Never used shooting sticks and the only dogs around here bark and growl. Never figured MOA for a load of buckshot. No sir, I don’t shoot anything but paper from a bench. I have leaned against a tree for a shot on occasion. Even squatted a few times and rested an arm on my knee. You fellas out west got to deal with different affairs than us swamp critters.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Guess I must have been lucky. I don't remember having any bolt action rifles going back as far as the late '70's that shot as bad as 3 MOA. Of course I shot few "out of the box" and would routinely glass bed and adjust triggers even back then.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
My old 788 that my Dad bought from me in 1975 for getting good grades (I was 15) is a 1/2" rifle. I killed a bunch of groundhogs with it at all kinds of ranges. It has never had a factory round shot through it though. A couple years ago I saw a T/C Compass package deal at my LGS complete with Vortex 3-9 scope and I took it home with me. It shoots right at an inch at 100 yds with Hornady factory 143 grain ELD-X ammo.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
My old 788 that my Dad bought from me in 1975 for getting good grades (I was 15) is a 1/2" rifle. I killed a bunch of groundhogs with it at all kinds of ranges. It has never had a factory round shot through it though.

Ron

Which cartridge did you use in the 788?

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I expect 1.5" at a 100 yards for 3 shots. All of my rifles but 1 do better. A 30-30 Contender carbine barrel is the one that won't. I have tried a bunch of bullets and powder combinations and 1 approached 1.5. The other carbine barrel I have shoots great.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Seems like everything posted now turns into a pissing contest.For those who don`t like someone use the Ignore feature.Internet call outs are a joke.I think this was a good topic but since I don`t use factory ammo and don`t own a Savage or RA ,have no input to give.

Last edited by Huntz; 01/03/22.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Huntz
Seems like everything posted now turns into a pissing contest.For those who don`t like someone use the Ignore feature.Internet call outs are a joke.I think this was a good topic but since I don`t use factory ammo and don`t own a Savage or RA ,have no input to give.

No worries. I think most of us know what you mean. smile

The only new stock rifle I have is a 308 Ruger American from the first year they were available. When I bought it, I did buy a box of factory Remingtons to try it out, but like most people here, it got reloaded stuff since that initial try out.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Steve;
Good afternoon and Happy New Year to you and yours, I hope the weather is behaving out east better than it has been here so far this winter.

Thanks for the thread and thanks for the replies that made it an interesting read.

Back in the fall of 2020 I did a rough and dirty review of a Remington 700 which a neighbor had won at a game banquet and he decided it was going to go north moose hunting on a cancellation hunt.

Here's a link to that thread for any interested.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...gton-700-bdl-report-sort-of#Post15290275

The Cliff Notes are that after I lightened the trigger and worked on the fore end pressure, it shot Winchester 190gr Accubonds better than I thought it would.

It went on to get him a really decent bull the first night they went up there, though the return trip on a choppy lake, in the dark and in a boat loaded with people and moose was more adventure than he or his wife who was along too were bargaining for.

When I ran some old Winchester White Box 55gr Ball through my Ruger American it shot pretty well now that I think of it, but like most firearms that end up here, they're all apart and on the bench before range day so that's not exactly in keeping with the spirit of the thread. For that matter I did fool with the fore end and trigger on the 700 so that wasn't out of the box either.

Regardless it's been an educational read and I do appreciate all the participants.

All the best to you folks in 2022 Steve.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have had several Ruger Pred. rifles that shot as good as some custom rifles I have had

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hi Dwayne,

I admit that whenever I have purchased a new, bolt action econo-rifle, I started filling out a modification sheet. I have always enjoyed making over rifles with good bones.

pullit,

I understand what you mean. That's the reason why I never did anything to my American except buy a single shot mag for it. That was primarily for load testing. smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
A simple question, but a few conditions.

No talk of the reasons why you wouldn't buy one. You cannot reload for it. No expensive scope or aftermarket trigger or stock. No barrel treatment.

This isn't a long range rifle. 300 yd max. Most hunters don't take game that far, but we need a max. range.

[Linked Image from rangehot.com]

You walk into Cabelas and say, "I'll take that 30-06 Axis, a 3x9 Bushnell scope and the cheapest box of Remington 165 gr Core Lokts you got."

What is acceptable? 1 or 2 inch groups at 100 yd? For me, because of CNC machining and ammunition improvements, I think 2 inches at 100 yards is just fine.

I wonder if that 30-06 Remington 700 from 1970 and a box of 1970 Remington ammunition would shoot as well as today's rifles and ammunition?

Have we improved?

I have it in my head that everything should shoot to 1". I would not be happy with a two inch group with anything (which doesnt really match up with reality). a two inch group looks horrible on paper, just my inexperience showing through. I used to sight in and hunt. Never really shot groups, still have not perfected shooting off a bench. I was off hand at rabbits, off the truck hood or tree branch for a long shot, off hand walking for anything inside of 200 yds. It is tough for me to shoot a good group off the bench.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Don't know how all inexpensive rifles shoot with factory ammo, but have yet to shoot an inexpensive 6.5 Creedmoor--whether a Ruger American, Savage Axis or T/C Compass--that wouldn't put three factory loads in an inch at 100, and most did better.

That's my Ruger American Predator. Fine CHEAP rifle!

Yep. Same results with my Ruger America Predator in 6.5 CM.
Shot several brands of Factory Ammo under an inch.
I might get around to reloading for it someday. But why bother when it shoots that good with Factory Ammo.

Unless you just couldn’t find any ammo anywhere.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Has anyone had similar experiences of great accuracy with other chamberings such as 6 CM, 7-08, 308, 243... and factory ammo?

Or is this only a phenomena with 6.5 CM factory ammo and entry level bolt action rifles?

God Bless America
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sample of one. But, we have a RAR in 243 Win topped with a Weaver K6 that my boys share. It's no trick to keep 3 under 1.5" at 100yds using Federal Fusion 95gr ammo. More than good enough for their uses and a level of accuracy that I have no problem with. It's take whitetail and pronghorn from 50yds to 267yds. None have gotten away and none have made it more than 70yds from being shot. I'm pleased with it.

For me, I'd expect about any rifle to be able to keep 3 shots inside 2" with some flavor of factory ammo. My 1 sample does this and so do all those of my friends with inexpensive rifles.

Last edited by pointer; 01/06/22.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
With proper trigger control, and even the cheap scope that comes with it, just about any factory gun out of the box is less than 2" and usually close to 1". even 2:" is fine for 100 yard shots on big game.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
1.5", but I feel the worst detriment to good accuracy is poor triggers.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The only truly factory cheap rifle that I own, is a Ruger American in .308. I did lighten the trigger a bit and other than that, nothing add-on. It shoots 1/2 moa with 150 Hornady Interlocks, over CFE223. In my opinion, many people worry about how a rifle looks, instead of concentrating on how they shoot. I have some real nice rifles, but have always concentrated more on functionality.

A friend of mine has three Thompson Ventures. They all shoot as good, or better than any of his expensive rifles.

I think that if all you can get is the expensive factory ammo and don't want to do a lot of testing, two-inch groups and under should suffice for the average hunter.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (007FJ, 204guy, 1936M71, 222ND, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,298 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,071
Posts18,482,609
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.