Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by seppli
Dwayne:

On a related note, are there any good books you can recommend on the Alexander McKenzie's 1793 expedition to the Pacific?

kaywoodie;
Good evening.......

Dwayne
[/quote]
[/quote]

seppli;
Good afternoon, I hope that if you're in the snowy section of Utah that you're dug out by now and that in all other ways the day is behaving for you.

In all honesty I need to read up more on Simon Fraser and Alex McKenzie, so do not have a particular book to recommend and do apologize for that.

As a broad statement, if I can find a journal or diary by the folks on the ground I much prefer that even if it's written in a style that's not easy reading.

When I read history, I'm looking for as clear of a picture of what it was like there and then, without someone else "interpreting" that a century later through the lens of their experience and not the folks involved back when.

That said then, this'd be my first read on the subject and might be something I'll put on my list actually.

https://www.abebooks.com/9780837187891/First-Man-West-Alexander-Mackenzies-0837187893/plp

Again sorry that's not truly a specific recommendation, but that's where I'd start.

All the best to you in 2022.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by BluMtn
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Y'all know they didn't have Kennetreks and Meindle's, right? Walked in moccasins until they wore out, then made their own.

Geno likes hunting in moccasins, probably would have enjoyed that part of the trip.

Living wet like they did in Oregon might not have been so much fun.

The bridge to the right of the elevator crosses Almota Creek, where the group camped one evening. Of course, camp might be underwater now, as the Snake is not in the same condition as that river in Kenny's picture

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

You were in my backyard and never called? I am so disappointed.

Apologies Blue,

I was up there 8 months a year for work, usually rather busy, some pay periods between May and August I'd get 120 hr OT on top of my 80 regular in 2 weeks. Mid Mar-May and Aug-Mid Nov sometimes I was doing 12 hr on, 12 off for 10-12 days in a 2 week period too. My wife was living in Cali or over in the Potlandia area and if I had more than a few days off I go see her and our dogs. Most days off were used to go to Clarkston-Lewiston or Pullman-Moscow to resupply and maybe during the season hunt some birds or deer. (and a lot of that was after a 12 hr night shift)

Only managed to get together with Field Grade for a couple of hours, missed meeting up with a few others over in that neighborhood, Lonny, wageslave, you. Oh, I did meet one guy at a gun show, that guy that sang in some Gospel quartet or such, but that was just a hello.

We stay at Boyer Park at least once a month during the summer.. Great quite park.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, dang. Had I known that then, I'd have certainly been able to cross the dam and get to the park for a visit. I had a couple of decent burgers there during one cook's term there.

And yes, it seemed to usually be a relatively quiet place, except perhaps holiday weekends. And maybe when the steelhead were running good too.

Maybe if I make it back up to visit friends in Colfax I'll shoot you a PM.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1badf350, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 58 invisible), 2,529 guests, and 1,487 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,194
Posts18,485,002
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.