Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I quit Nosler back in 07/08, Hornady cheaper and shoot just as good. Same with Sierra, overpriced.

Bergers, I'll pay more for them because IME they shoot so well, they're worth it. The 180gr./284'' Hybrid shoots bug-holes in my 280ai.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Agreed big buddy B, it's more the idea than the money, cut hay with a crook on halves one year, i spent money bush hogging that field the next year not to do business with him, i'll spend extra to avoid thieves on principal, idgas about money, hate greedy someb's, just checked, my 8 twist will spin the 180 hornady as well as the 168 LRX, that Barnes at 3200 fps should be a hell of a bull saw!

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
Agreed big buddy B, it's more the idea than the money, cut hay with a crook on halves one year, i spent money bush hogging that field the next year not to do business with him, i'll spend extra to avoid thieves on principal, idgas about money, hate greedy someb's, just checked, my 8 twist will spin the 180 hornady as well as the 168 LRX, that Barnes at 3200 fps should be a hell of a bull saw!

Yes sir. Same here Gunner.

I have a bunch of those 168 LRX's myself. Not sure why but I haven't tried them myself. I'd bet a buck you'd get them up over 3100 quite easily and I am sure they'd carry some serious attitude at distance.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by beretzs

I have a bunch of those 168 LRX's myself. Not sure why but I haven't tried them myself. I'd bet a buck you'd get them up over 3100 quite easily and I am sure they'd carry some serious attitude at distance.

You bet, and drill a hole in a bull from the last rib forward out the shoulder, i may have to try to find some, i can load the 3.6" in the old H&H mag box.

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I for one will continue to use partitions when I hunt elk. I’m thinking about using a smaller caliber than I normally use on whitetail and if so, I’ll be using partitions.
To me partitions are the bullets all the other premium bullets are trying to equal.

As far as SPS being closed due to the state’s COVID law - move to another state SPS.

Last edited by Bugger; 01/05/22.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

You bet, and drill a hole in a bull from the last rib forward out the shoulder, i may have to try to find some, i can load the 3.6" in the old H&H mag box.

Without a doubt. Mine is set up the same. I think I can get out to 3.610" or a bit more in mine.

Originally Posted by Bugger
I for one will continue to use partitions when I hunt elk. I’m thinking about using a smaller caliber than I normally use on whitetail and if so, I’ll be using partitions.
To me partitions are the bullets all the other premium bullets are trying to equal.

As far as SPS being closed due to the state’s COVID law - move to another state SPS.

Bugger, ain't nothing wrong with them, but I don't believe they do anything any better than a bunch of others that are costing much less these days. While I haven't had major issues getting them to shoot, typically they aren't the most accurate in any rifle I own. Plenty good though 95% of the time. I have used a bunch of them and will continue to use what I have stocked up on.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

You guys need not worry about drilling holes through shoulders with the Barnes TTSX or LRX. I used my little 7mm08 a few months ago on a bull. Drilled holes right on through both shoulders with the 140gr TTSX. I pm'd Scotty about that hunt and bullet. Those Barnes only cost me $25/box:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Found those last summer, so you can still find great prices on good bullets. I also decided to run the 175gr LRX in my 300wby:

For chidts and giggles, I was messing around with the 165 TSX that I found for cheap last year. I'd probably run a 130 or 150gr in a 308win, but the 165's are pretty accurate and work very well in my 06's and 300wm:

And my light 300WSM, well you get the idea:

I've always loved the partitions. They do an excellent job on critters and they shoot very well in my rifles. But until they get their chidt together, I'll be using different bullets.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
They seem determined to become the Leupold of bullet makers.

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
since I am the OP on the thread... I was just reading the posts of others....

had a thought and had to laugh....

I am assuming, that most members or posters at like me...

They are that age, where they have more than enough bullets to last their entire life time...

so why are we worried... NOT really worried about Noslers prices.. Just disappointed that they are getting like DemocRats... " Never let a Good Crisis go to Waste"..

Hornady nor Speer are getting greedy and taking advantage of the situation...

so if I drop a few bucks on a box of bullets, it won't be hard to figure what company's name is on the box...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Oh boy… those 55’s are available over at sps right now for $21 bucks a 100. Good ol seafire when things aren’t going his way everyone must be smoking dope and doing lines of coke lol..

Yeah John, you are from the Same Oregon I live in....

yeah, you now good and well most folks smoke dope in this state...

But in Josephine County, the only people doing lines of Coke are CA transplants...

The substitute drug of choice is Meth...

Guess you've been up in AK for a while.. and haven't been home recently, say in the last 10 years...

but its all good.. didn't need to spend $29 on a box of 100 of Varmaggeddon Bullet in 55 grain, when I probably have 3 or 4,000 of them at home, and about 5,000 or so of the 40 grainer Varmaggeddon...that cost me about 10 cents a bullet instead of the 30 cents a bullet, the one box on the shelf current costs...

just had a seasonal supply of Speer Varmint bullets show up on the Brown Truck, for about 10 cents a bullet.. that do just as well as the 30 cent Nosler bullets...

whether the local Beavis and Buttheads are smoking dope, doing Meth or Coke with the California Beavis and Buttheads...

cheers.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I used to be a Nosler homer, through and through.

I’ve switched to Hornady, almost exclusively.

And I’m in Bend twice a month, selling drugs, so I’ve seen some changes in the last 10 years.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Seafire

Oh boy… those 55’s are available over at sps right now for $21 bucks a 100. Good ol seafire when things aren’t going his way everyone must be smoking dope and doing lines of coke lol..

Yeah John, you are from the Same Oregon I live in....

yeah, you now good and well most folks smoke dope in this state...

But in Josephine County, the only people doing lines of Coke are CA transplants...

The substitute drug of choice is Meth...

Guess you've been up in AK for a while.. and haven't been home recently, say in the last 10 years...

but its all good.. didn't need to spend $29 on a box of 100 of Varmaggeddon Bullet in 55 grain, when I probably have 3 or 4,000 of them at home, and about 5,000 or so of the 40 grainer Varmaggeddon...that cost me about 10 cents a bullet instead of the 30 cents a bullet, the one box on the shelf current costs...

just had a seasonal supply of Speer Varmint bullets show up on the Brown Truck, for about 10 cents a bullet.. that do just as well as the 30 cent Nosler bullets...

whether the local Beavis and Buttheads are smoking dope, doing Meth or Coke with the California Beavis and Buttheads...

cheers.

The Oregon I left was still a decent state a lot of blue dog democrats, but with the demise of the timber industry. Oregon went downhill from their. I have no desire to ever set foot in that state again. I did make a stop their in 2016 we had the to stay the night when our plane to Korea had to turn around and make an emergency landing in Portland. But I have not been back their and visited family since 2008. I plan on keeping it that way.

Last edited by 79S; 01/07/22.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well there are a lot worse places ( government wise) than Oregon.....

Home for me was predominantly metro Washington DC....my high school parking lot was 20 miles or less from the Pentagon Parking Lot...
Ft Belvoir and Quantico were just down I 95... Went to college in Boston.... Lived 15 years in Minnesota, Twin City Metro Area, Spent time in the Puget Sound area,
First at Ft Lewis ( Madigan), and then a couple years working at the University of Wash Hospital..

NEVER going back to any of those places.. Here's slowly going down hill but to nowhere near the level of any of those other places above that I have spent time...

Alaska is too far from anything for my tastes and my Minnesota wife has NO Desire to ever go back to anywhere with what she considers cold weather...

For each of us, guess its a perspective....no where is what it use to be.. anywhere in the country....

Cheers and Best Regards anyway.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Alaska is too far from anything for my tastes.

That’s what makes Alaska so great…. Most don’t and will never get it..

[Linked Image]

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Last edited by 79S; 01/07/22.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
3.610" will dang sure work big buddy B, more room to run the slow burners for velocity is where it's at.

LOL, you got a nice set of drill bits there BSA, i'll be looking for as much b.c. as i can stabilize in the 7 Masher, 168 LRX or some sort of Hammer bullet, i know those would work on even very heqvy game up close should that happen, dont know same about a 180 Horn eld on a moose shoulder at 50 yards, my 7 Masher would boot the 180 horn out at 3000 fps.

Slightly off topic, but does apply to affording nosler bullets if one were inclined to do so, i sold my old M1 Garand and 550 rounds of 168gr Sierras to a kid in town, yesterday went to OKC to see an old Bud and bought a new Springfield M!A 'Loaded" with beautiful walnut, National Match 6 groove barrel, NM trigger and sights,, ordered 300 168gr Amax and a Maglula loader for the M1A at MidwayUSA, bought 3lbs 4064 from a Bud, have 231 new sticks WW 308 brass in the shop, laid three boxes of CCI-200's on the dies waiting on bullet order, had enough left to bank 700 cash! cool...............................Amax's were 41 bucks a hundred, loaded them in cart, dropped to 35 bucks a box, spose there are ways around corporate greed ; ]

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I was looking for a new deer load and found these in stock so I bought 8 boxes. Cheaper than most any 308 out there right now.

HORNADY 308 Win 168 Gr A-Max Black 2700 FPS 20 Pack $26.39

https://www.kygunco.com/product/hornady-80971-308-win-168-gr-a-max-black-2700-fps-20-pack

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Good stuff, save that brass and reload it with the same bullet later for even more savings.

Trump Won!
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by 79S

[Linked Image]

When I separated from the military I was stationed in Coronado CA. I went North to Oregon. I should have kept going.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Originally Posted by 79S

[Linked Image]

When I separated from the military I was stationed in Coronado CA. I went North to Oregon. I should have kept going.

We were caribou hunting few hours later we got a couple caribou. Hell one was harvested with a nosler 120gr etip 😁.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

424 members (160user, 17CalFan, 22250rem, 10Glocks, 280shooter, 2500HD, 37 invisible), 1,739 guests, and 1,060 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,874
Posts18,478,818
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.