-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The .284 is one that I've thought of building many times, but never could pick an action to build one on. Then the notion goes away for a year or two. grin

As far as the 7mm-08 vs .308 win go, I've had at least one 7mm-08 around since my dad brought a model seven 7mm-08 home in the early-mid '80's. The first new rifle I bought for myself was a late '80's Mnt rifle in 7mm-08. It was quite a few years before I had a. 308, and I've had some nice ones, but they always seem to go down the road.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Rex,

When was the last time you saw Big Stick on this forum?

Am not talking about the Campfire, but ATGW?

Well now that you mention it...

I see what you mean. I didn't realize one could be banned from just a single "sub-forum" within the 24CF group. One is better than none though.
I really appreciate what you and the other writers contribute to ATGW, and am glad ATGW is strict with how folks conduct themselves.
Thanks,
Rex

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by TRexF16
I doubt it--partly because I doubt you'll see much more of LB....

Well, we can hope. Reading this thread, I kept thinking "Goodness, what does it TAKE to get banned on this site?"
We shouldn't need rules keeping us civil - that ought to be normal human behavior - but we have it codified as rule #1 on this forum:

1] Please be respectful of other posters at all times. The ability to refrain from personal attacks, obscenities, and flame wars is a minimum requirement for a log at the Campfire.

That said, how can Big Stick still have an account here? I put that guy on ignore long ago but still sometimes get forced to see his drivel when he gets quoted by others, and he almost always belittles and calls others really bad names in every post. I guess rule #1 doesn't mean much if you're him.

Back to the subject though...
I've never killed an elk with a 30-06 but I believe it's a fine round to do so. I have only killed three elk with a rifle - two bulls with the .35 Whelen AI and one cow with the .358 Win. All worked great. But I did kill a large NM bull bison with a 180 Partition in the 30-06, and it worked great, just like I reckon it would have on each of those elk.

Just my two cents.
Rex

I've seen several references to putting people on "ignore." So how/where on the forum is this found and used?

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Click on the person's screen name. You'll see a drop-down menu. The first choice is "View Profile." Click that and scroll down just a little. It's on the right.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
It's a sad commentary on the times when Real Deal respected people...willing to share their expertise and experiences...get thrashed and harassed here. -Al

Trial by Fire ?

Seems to go with the territory. I prefer a more mannerly approach,
which unfortunately for intelligent discourse is not always present.

Some cases just need a little more convincing … 🥴

Last edited by 338Rules; 01/07/22. Reason: Clarity
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

If I had picked up the parent first, instead of the child, I’d likely be where you are now.

Realistically, ain’t nothing gonna know it was shot by a .308 or a 7mm-08.

Good bullet, proper velocity, good placement. The rest is hot air.

Fun to discuss, however.

P

True dat - cussin' and discussin' ballistic gack is 1/2 of what this forum is!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The near impossibility of getting banned (other than for EXTREME racism) is one of a few reasons I visit this site and pretty much no others in regards to social media.

Rick may or may not allow all the bickering for more clicks and thus, revenue, but that is besides the point. I like not being micromanage on my words and have the self discipline to not read what I don`t want to.

If I wanted to be on my toes and always watch what I had to say I'd register for an account at HuntTalk, or several others with a much heavier moderator.

Anyhoo...sorry for the derailment but I guess this thread is already off the tracks.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I hunt in grizzly country and recreate in grizzly country as it is all around us.

Use what ever cartridge / bullet combo is appropriate to the primary game hunted.

Defending ones self in a bear attack is much different than you may think.

When hiking/hunting one must use his/her nose, this will alert you to a cache, the folks who have been mauled and killed many times stumbled onto a cache with the bear near by black or grizzly makes no matter as a B-bear will make a mess of you.

An attack generally comes on very quick and most of the time you have no option of defense other than rolling into a ball and protect your head neck area as much as possible. And at some point your must fight in the physical sense if the attack is doing you in. Grizz play dead they will bury you , must like fermented hunter. B-bear will just f'ing kill you.

If one does have an opportunity to employ a rifle, the shot should be really close, if ya got the balls for that, as the outcome most likely be better.

As far as stopping power (a hunting situation, not a defense situation) goes that starts at caliber 33. I have detected no real difference in terminal performance on bullets between 225 grains and 270 grains in 33,35,36,and 37 caliber, running 2500-2700 ft/s at the muzzle.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 338Rules
Anyone care to extrapolate for Polar Bear ? 340 Bee has some reach
With Global Warming, they are expanding their territory Southward

The 2 friends I have who've hunted Polar Bears said that folks who live in polar bear country mostly carry Savage 340's in 222Rem.............

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by 338Rules
Anyone care to extrapolate for Polar Bear ? 340 Bee has some reach
With Global Warming, they are expanding their territory Southward

The 2 friends I have who've hunted Polar Bears said that folks who live in polar bear country mostly carry Savage 340's in 222Rem.............

I’m sure one up the nose would be Dandy. ;-)

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just tuned in to read all the opinions. I've never shot a grizzly so I have no opinion on how much gun is enough to put one down if needed. I will say that every grizzly I've encountered has run off once they've identified my/ our presence. Seems they smell and hear better than see. Having more people in your party makes for more noise and more scent. I recall one big boar running across Colter's Meadow to find a fresh elk gut pile stopped and stood up on his hind legs after reaching the gut pile with his nose straight up in the air trying to figure out what he was smelling. Three of us were sitting 100 yards upwind with three horses. Once he determined that it was people he was smelling he ran back across that meadow and up and over a nearby ridge without stopping for a second. It's happened several times like this. Even once by myself at a closer distance. Identify yourself and let the bear onto your presence before they get to close. Hunting with a buddy or two is better than packing a bigger rifle.

God Bless America
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The hunting land I had in northern WI had black bears that were used to human scent. Had one that would rub it's back on one of the shack corners.

I painted the corner boards with a fresh coat of white. Next morning there was hair and dirt on fresh paint. Bear must of rubbed one off overnight while I was sleeping, fugger.

On two occasions I had bear pay me a visit while stand hunting. They'd look at me while I swore like a sailor at them, until I figure they got offended and went their way.

Least it sounds like the griz UncleAlps ran into weren't semi-domesticated like the black bears by me. I always kept the wind at my back when gutting.

GOA
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by jwall
I doubt it--partly because I doubt you'll see much more of LB....

Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Sounds ominous

Sounds Promising to me.

Jerry

Nothing wrong with a surgical strike to do a little gene pool management!

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by M721
Quote from Puddles post

I tell them to start first at the bullet and then work backwards towards how it's delivered.

Well put IMHO

I like that too.

It's all in the bullet.......

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

306 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 16penny, 260Remguy, 46 invisible), 2,487 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,689
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.