Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 19 1 2 3 4 18 19
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
What Brad said, plus what Puddle just posted.

While I agree, the difference in performance is just not enough for me to justify buying a 6.5 while I have an outstanding 7-08 in a package that I really like.

If I didn't already have the 7-08, & given the attributes of the 6.5 & the ammo available (if I wasn't a handloader), I'd opt for the 6.5 w/o hesitation.

Anybody that thinks a 7-08, for whatever reason, thinks the 7-08 is gay or ghey, or whatever, needs to re-evaluate his gun & shooting knowledge & probably has never done much real hunting.

Much as I love a 270 Win & the 280 Rem, the 7-08 performs just about as well in real life.

And that is a pretty good testament, IMHO.

MM

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Didn't the 7mm-08 get its start as a cartridge for Silhouette shooting?

I seem to remember the 7mm-08 slogging along about like the 260 did until Layne Simpson started to champion it.

Funny thing is that I long been a fan of the 7x57, but never got the 7mm-08 bug, but I like both the 6.5x55 and 260 about equally. If somebody had made a stainless 6.5x55 back in 1997 I might never have jumped ship for the 260 and Remington 7SS.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
T
Blackheart,

Are you trying to replace Llama Bob?
Don't know who the hell that is but if the cutesy little sentimental musings and boring ballistic gac spouted by loonies in adoring admiration of certain cartridges makes him want to retch we may be related.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Blackheart
T
Blackheart,

Don't know who the hell that is but if the cutesy little sentimental musings and boring ballistic gac spouted by loonies in adoring admiration of certain cartridges makes him want to retch we may be related.

No, it didn't make him want to retch, he was an expert and it made him wax poetic and rhapsodically.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
What Brad said, plus what Puddle just posted.

While I agree, the difference in performance is just not enough for me to justify buying a 6.5 while I have an outstanding 7-08 in a package that I really like.

If I didn't already have the 7-08, & given the attributes of the 6.5 & the ammo available (if I wasn't a handloader), I'd opt for the 6.5 w/o hesitation.

Anybody that thinks a 7-08, for whatever reason, thinks the 7-08 is gay or ghey, or whatever, needs to re-evaluate his gun & shooting knowledge & probably has never done much real hunting.

Much as I love a 270 Win & the 280 Rem, the 7-08 performs just about as well in real life.

And that is a pretty good testament, IMHO.

MM
Nah, I don't do any real hunting. I just killed six deer, two bucks and four does, in three weeks back in mid Nov. - early Dec., two of them with arrows but it wasn't "real" hunting. One shot apiece. No follow up shots needed but I'm sure I would have done much better if only I'd have used a 7mm-08. Maybe 6 deer with only three shots next year if I were to switch ?

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Blackheart,

He's been neck and neck with LB for a while now MD. Two peas in a pod if you ask me.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Blackheart,

He's been neck and neck with LB for a while now MD. Two peas in a pod if you ask me.
And here's one of those dorky ass holes I spoke of earlier now. Winds blowing like a hurricane here today JG. Good thing you ain't here or you'd have to tie those ears down tight to keep from blowing away. LOL

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I would take a 7 MM 08 any day the week twice on Sundays over a 65 cm

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I don't know JG. They're both opinionated and more than willing to share, but there's a "technical" difference if you get my meaning.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Blackheart,

And here's one of those dorky ass holes I spoke of earlier now. Winds blowing like a hurricane here today JG. Good thing you ain't here or you'd have to tie those ears down tight to keep from blowing away. LOL

Is that the best you can do?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When someone resorts to personification of rifle cartridges it makes me laugh, for multiple reasons.

I also love the assertions, with respect to any cartridge, that go along the lines of "well, it's not this" or "well it won't do that". I figure that is the whole point of why it is whatever it is.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by steveredd1

I have at least a couple of both, and really like 'em. Truth be know they both are great killers with the right bullets. Anybody with experience with both will tell you that. The only difference is personal preference.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Blackheart,

Is that the best you can do?
Is that the best you can do ?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by mathman
I don't know JG. They're both opinionated and more than willing to share, but there's a "technical" difference if you get my meaning.

I'd like to think I can back up my "opinions" with why I believe what I believe, unlike BH and LB and several others with perpetual diarrhea of the mouth.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by steveredd1

I have at least a couple of both, and really like 'em. Truth be know they both are great killers with the right bullets. Anybody with experience with both will tell you that. The only difference is personal preference.
Exactly right. Personal preference and one persons preference is as valid as anothers. Truth be told I used a 6.5 CM on two of my deer this year. A 7mm-08 wouldn't have made a bit of difference in the results.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

I'd like to think I can back up my "opinions" with why I believe what I believe, unlike BH and LB and several others with perpetual diarrhea of the mouth.
Wheweee. That's impressive. Lets hear it.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Wheweee. That's impressive. Lets hear it.
If only I'd have used a 7/08 instead. I bet it would have gutted them out and dragged them back to the truck for me too. They both went straight down so it couldn't have done any better there.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
They may have gone straight down even harder. grin

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by smokepole
T
Blackheart,

No, it didn't make him want to retch, he was an expert and it made him wax poetic and rhapsodically.
That's much better !

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I am really enjoying Mule Deer’s new attitude.

Mule Deer, you sassy!

I like my 7mm/o8. Don’t really consider it
Much of a kicker and it’s good and accurate. Only ever killed deer with it, but that’s most of my centerfire rifles. I wouldn’t turn down a creedmoor though. Can’t we all just like all the different cartridges and get along?

whistle

Last edited by Jeffrey; 01/07/22.
Page 2 of 19 1 2 3 4 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 58 invisible), 2,555 guests, and 1,427 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,177
Posts18,484,676
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.