Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Wonder how many rounds an AR pcc could get? 8-10 inch AR barrel 45 rounds in the mags that might be an improvement. Oh? I've never owned an AR at all just spitballin'. I should get an AR for giggles though.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Ok, I geeked-out a little here.

Using Quickload, I used the 32 S&W Long case, loaded it with a 115gr Gold Dot, set OAL to 1.169 to mimick the 30 SC useable case volume.

5.9gr of Power Pistol came up to just under 50K psi.

Here are velocity/muzzle pressure predictions:

3" bbl - 1222 fps - 12,051 lbs/psi
4" bbl - 1313 fps - 8,518 lbs/psi
5" bbl - 1375 fps - 6,513 lbs/psi

Baseline QL comparison - 9mm +P 115gr Gold Dot, 7.8gr Power Pistol, 37,714 lbs psi max pressure.
4" bbl - 1368 fps - 8,059 lbs/psi

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

So, you're saying the bark probably isn't any worse?

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Ok, I geeked-out a little here.

Using Quickload, I used the 32 S&W Long case, loaded it with a 115gr Gold Dot, set OAL to 1.169 to mimick the 30 SC useable case volume.

5.9gr of Power Pistol came up to just under 50K psi.

Here are velocity/muzzle pressure predictions:

3" bbl - 1222 fps - 12,051 lbs/psi
4" bbl - 1313 fps - 8,518 lbs/psi
5" bbl - 1375 fps - 6,513 lbs/psi

Baseline QL comparison - 9mm +P 115gr Gold Dot, 7.8gr Power Pistol, 37,714 lbs psi max pressure.
4" bbl - 1368 fps - 8,059 lbs/psi

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

So, you're saying the bark probably isn't any worse?

No, I'm just offering some QL predictions. I have no real idea how it will sound in reality.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
H110 and equivalents (used in 22 WMR and 30 carbine, both revolver rounds) aren't flash suppressed powders and have basically been in use with those two cartridges since inception.
In revolvers they are obnoxious because of a cylinder gap. Sure, they are also louder in fixed chambers and short barrels, but not to the same extent. Neither is loaded anywhere close to 50k psi either, so I don't understand the fixation with the operating pressure. I'm betting both are still louder than the new Federal round because at the end of the day, they are still long, narrow revolver rounds using a h110/296 type powder.

FWIW Power Pistol was a non canister powder developed for the 9mm sometime in the 1980s for the 9mm. Its not quiet and its not flash suppressed.

I would venture that Federal is probably using a non canister powder that operates at 50k, is flash suppressed and not an Olin ball powder developed in the 1940s....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Daverageguy
Wonder how many rounds an AR pcc could get? 8-10 inch AR barrel 45 rounds in the mags that might be an improvement. Oh? I've never owned an AR at all just spitballin'. I should get an AR for giggles though.

I was thinking along the lines of a Ruger PC carbine.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Dave wins the internet today!

What was said: S&W came out with a new round, the 30 Super Carry.
What Dave got out of it: I should get an AR.

That's awesome! I think that makes a perfect answer/response to a lot of questions/statements I hear. Way to go, Dave!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
muzzle blast from such a cartridge will not be fun..........

Good point. Ever touch off a handgun chambered in .30 Carbine? Talk about a fireball.

Look at how hateful a 22mag is.

I agree Dillonbuck, CCI Maxi-Mags out of my 5.5" Single Six have brutal noise and muzzle blast. My hearing is already damaged from Flash bangs and 12" .223 fire inside crack houses. I must admit this round is intriguing though.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wonder how much they'd have to beef up a Shield or LC9 to be able to handle a steady diet of 50k psi? .357 Sig and .40 S&W are a handful in a compact pistol.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
I wonder how much they'd have to beef up a Shield or LC9 to be able to handle a steady diet of 50k psi? .357 Sig and .40 S&W are a handful in a compact pistol.

Ron

If they were smart they designed it so maybe just a heavier spring. If you just take a Shield and convert it you're gaining a half mm in thickness on the chamber. No idea if that's enough though.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 50K psi only tells part of the story. The units are "pounds per square inch" so in order to be meaningful you also need to factor in the square inches. "Bolt thrust" is the force applied to the breech face at a given pressure. The below is oversimplified but it illustrates the point:

.30 Super Carry = 0.0765 square inches x 50K = 3,823 lbs.

9mm Luger = 0.0990 square inches x 35K = 3,464 lbs.

9mm Luger +P = 0.0990 square inches x 38.5K = 3,811 lbs.

Sooo, although the Super Carry 'might' have 15K psi (43%) more than a 9mm, due to the reduced area of the case head the bolt thrust is only about 10% greater, and basically the same as a 9mm +P. Other factors, such as hoop stress, are similarly reduced due to the .30 Super Carry's smaller diameter.

In a similar handgun, the .30 Super Carry barrel weight is increased due to the smaller diameter bore. With the bolt thrust so close the handgun designers will hardly bat an eye.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Waders I said I was spitballin'. I will admit to not owning a S&W since the Ed Schultz days and capacity seems to be a marketing point with the 30super so natural extension is a pcc. We're still internet friends though.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is just ammo makers supporting the natural evolution of concealed carry firearms.

We had compacts, then ultra-compacts, then micro-compacts - meet the new ultra-nano-compact.

[Linked Image from thefirearmblog.com]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Waders

Dave wins the internet today!

What was said: S&W came out with a new round, the 30 Super Carry.
What Dave got out of it: I should get an AR.

That's awesome! I think that makes a perfect answer/response to a lot of questions/statements I hear. Way to go, Dave!

LMAO 🤣

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
This is just ammo makers supporting the natural evolution of concealed carry firearms.

We had compacts, then ultra-compacts, then micro-compacts - meet the new ultra-nano-compact.

[Linked Image from thefirearmblog.com]

I want one.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by JOG
The 50K psi only tells part of the story. The units are "pounds per square inch" so in order to be meaningful you also need to factor in the square inches. "Bolt thrust" is the force applied to the breech face at a given pressure. The below is oversimplified but it illustrates the point:

Sooo, although the Super Carry 'might' have 15K psi (43%) more than a 9mm, due to the reduced area of the case head the bolt thrust is only about 10% greater, and basically the same as a 9mm +P. Other factors, such as hoop stress, are similarly reduced due to the .30 Super Carry's smaller diameter.

In a similar handgun, the .30 Super Carry barrel weight is increased due to the smaller diameter bore. With the bolt thrust so close the handgun designers will hardly bat an eye.

Not much difference there in your calculations. Another thing I noted in my QL simulation, 50K was attained with only 5.9 grains of powder. So if that's somewhere in the ballpark, the overall gas volume will not be excessive, even though bore volume is less than 9mm. So it would seem reasonable that pressure will in fact peak and start dropping fairly quick.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Waders I said I was spitballin'. I will admit to not owning a S&W since the Ed Schultz days and capacity seems to be a marketing point with the 30super so natural extension is a pcc. We're still internet friends though.

Too late, you're now my guru.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG

Not much difference there in your calculations. Another thing I noted in my QL simulation, 50K was attained with only 5.9 grains of powder. So if that's somewhere in the ballpark, the overall gas volume will not be excessive, even though bore volume is less than 9mm. So it would seem reasonable that pressure will in fact peak and start dropping fairly quick.

I think you're correct. My bet is it will all come down to propellant choice and manufacturers seem to have a pretty good handle on minimizing flash and blast. Hand loaders might have fun with it though. wink

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG
Other factors, such as hoop stress, are similarly reduced due to the .30 Super Carry's smaller diameter.

I wasn't so sure the diameter would offset the pressure in this case quite so nicely as for the bolt thrust, so found an online hoop stress calculator and played around with some numbers. It looks like if you take a 9mm barrel, and just make the hole smaller, the hoop stress is comparable to 9mm +P.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Don't do it Dave! I had one briefly and my dog wouldn't let me pet her until I got rid of it.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RufusG
Originally Posted by JOG
Other factors, such as hoop stress, are similarly reduced due to the .30 Super Carry's smaller diameter.

I wasn't so sure the diameter would offset the pressure in this case quite so nicely as for the bolt thrust, so found an online hoop stress calculator and played around with some numbers. It looks like if you take a 9mm barrel, and just make the hole smaller, the hoop stress is comparable to 9mm +P.

Something to consider is that a hoop stress value uses both the inside and outside diameter of the pipe/barrel. If the bore is decreased (make the hole smaller) while keeping the outside diameter the same the hoop stress can decrease even though the pressure increases.

Robert Frost
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (406_SBC, 14idaho, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 13 invisible), 1,470 guests, and 801 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,724
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.