Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 18 19
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I was hoping for a little more technical gack.

I have been shooting 139 gr scenars in my 6.5 and am now starting work with 150 gr scenars in my 7-08 Varmint Special.

My 6.5 is a pleasure to shoot and capable of hitting 4" sporting clays at 550 yards.

Comparing drops with the same type of bullet and similar velocities, the 7-08 is quite impressive without the fanfare. Very similar recoil.

The first 7-08 I got my hands on was a birthday present for my then 9 year old son. It is a Browning X Bolt micro medallion that shoots really well. He has killed many whitetails with it and we even shot steel out to 550. He is in med school now but will never sell that rifle since he still enjoys shooting it.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Featherweight6555
Originally Posted by Puddle
7mm-08 started out with factory ammo that sucked. WTG Remington. The CM didn't.

Now the 7mm-08 has some great factory ammo.

Sorta the same way that Big Green hosed over the .280 Rem. way back when.

Don’t get me started on the 280 Rem / 7mm Express ! 🤬

I’m thinking of rechambering one , or more to 280 RPM,

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
243, 250-3000, 260, 6.5 Swede, 7mm08, don't leave room in the safe for the CM.

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
What Brad said, plus what Puddle just posted.

While I agree, the difference in performance is just not enough for me to justify buying a 6.5 while I have an outstanding 7-08 in a package that I really like.

If I didn't already have the 7-08, & given the attributes of the 6.5 & the ammo available (if I wasn't a handloader), I'd opt for the 6.5 w/o hesitation.

That's bang on.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I read this entire thread just to see if anyone challenged the “inherent accuracy” comment in the third post.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Well it was designed as a target round, as has already been said in this thread. And I think Mule Deer basically confirmed what Brad said.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Two of my three favorite rifles are Ruger Hawkeye Africans. They are chambered in 6.5x55 and 275 Rigby so I have no need nor want the Creed or the 7-08. The other being a CZ. varmint in 204. Besides if I bought a 6.5 Creed I couldn’t chit my buddy about his all the time!

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Blackheart

MM
Nah, I don't do any real hunting. I just killed six deer, two bucks and four does, in three weeks back in mid Nov. -

Nice work, I had no idea New York's bag limits were that liberal.
It varies year to year depending on leftover doe tags and a second draw but most years you can shoot at least 5 legally without going for leftover tags from a second draw or any transferred tags if you kill at least two of them with arrows or black powder. We are allowed to transfer two doe tags per season so best case scenario you get 2 archery/black powder tags, one of which is good for either sex, a rifle season buck tag, 2 doe tags good in any season, 2 transferred doe tags good in any season from a wife/dad/kid that doesn't hunt or want them for some reason {lots of wives/girlfriends who don't really hunt get licenses and doe tags for their old man} and 2 more doe tags in the second draw. So yeah, in total you could legally take up to 2 bucks and 7 does per season.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I still have a couple of early boxes of 6.5 Creedmoor from Hornady. Not only was it accurate, but Hornady listed the load data on the box. That allowed hand loaders to dupe the factory ammo. IIRC, they changed that data after a while.I think they reduced the load. Can’t remember the details exactly, but it made it easy for guys with the 120 and 140 A-Max.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I enjoy the high BC in lower grain weights in the 6.5 vs 7. The recoil and shoot ability seem slightly enhanced without detriment to the ability to kill. All this with more factory ammo options & slightly enhanced inherent accuracy? Yep.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

MM
Nah, I don't do any real hunting. I just killed six deer, two bucks and four does, in three weeks back in mid Nov. -

It varies year to year depending on leftover doe tags and a second draw but most years you can shoot at least 5 legally without going for leftover tags from a second draw if you kill at least two of them with arrows or black powder. We are also allowed to transfer two doe tags per season so best case scenario you get 2 archery/black powder tags, one of which is good for either sex, a rifle season buck tag, 2 doe tags good in any season, 2 transferred doe tags good for any season from a wife/dad/kid that doesn't hunt or want them for some reason {lots of wives/girlfriends who don't really hunt get licenses and doe tags for their old man} and 2 more doe tags in the second draw. So yeah, in total you could legally take up to 2 bucks and 7 does per season.

I’m glad I live in Texas where we don’t have to worry about all that mess. You buy your license and the tags are on it. You get 5 but each county has its own regulations.

What part of NY do you live/hunt in Blackheart? My mom’s family lived in a little farm town near Cayuga Lake. Pretty country up there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
It seems like the 7mm-08 can dupe the 6.5 CM ballistic wise and maybe even edge it (haven't looked past 500 yards) . Is it the lighter recoil of the 6.5 or the 30 degree shoulder of the 6.5? Disclaimer: I have no idea what the benefit of a 30 degree shoulder is, maybe less case stretch??

I own both and like both, but I seem to have a greater attachment to the 7-08.

6.5CM: Lighter recoil, finer inherent accuracy, less down-range drift with less recoil, more and better factory ammo, and rifles properly twisted out of the box.

All true, except the down-range drift part. Ballistically, the 7-08 matches and exceeds the 6.5 CM as distance stretches out.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jeffrey

MM

It varies year to year depending on leftover doe tags and a second draw but most years you can shoot at least 5 legally without going for leftover tags from a second draw if you kill at least two of them with arrows or black powder. We are also allowed to transfer two doe tags per season so best case scenario you get 2 archery/black powder tags, one of which is good for either sex, a rifle season buck tag, 2 doe tags good in any season, 2 transferred doe tags good for any season from a wife/dad/kid that doesn't hunt or want them for some reason {lots of wives/girlfriends who don't really hunt get licenses and doe tags for their old man} and 2 more doe tags in the second draw. So yeah, in total you could legally take up to 2 bucks and 7 does per season.

I’m glad I live in Texas where we don’t have to worry about all that mess. You buy your license and the tags are on it. You get 5 but each county has its own regulations.

What part of NY do you live/hunt in Blackheart? My mom’s family lived in a little farm town near Cayuga Lake. Pretty country up there.
I'm glad I live here because in 45 years of hunting I've never once paid a dime for a lease/trespass fee and I hunt in several different Counties on both public and private land every season. Once you get used to the system here it's not complicated at all. I have hunted right along the shore of Cayuga lake near the Town of Lansing in the past but not in recent years. I think the last time was 2006. I have several sets of antlers on the wall from there.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I was hoping for a little more technical gack.

I have been shooting 139 gr scenars in my 6.5 and am now starting work with 150 gr scenars in my 7-08 Varmint Special.

No help with Scenars but 150 eldx with Big Game is a killer. Elk deer and antelope.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
But it's just a modern version of the 7x57. whistle

I have only shot one but in those 20 rounds made me might maybe want to get one in the future,i do have a 7x57.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
What Brad said, plus what Puddle just posted.

While I agree, the difference in performance is just not enough for me to justify buying a 6.5 while I have an outstanding 7-08 in a package that I really like.

If I didn't already have the 7-08, & given the attributes of the 6.5 & the ammo available (if I wasn't a handloader), I'd opt for the 6.5 w/o hesitation.

Anybody that thinks a 7-08, for whatever reason, thinks the 7-08 is gay or ghey, or whatever, needs to re-evaluate his gun & shooting knowledge & probably has never done much real hunting.

Much as I love a 270 Win & the 280 Rem, the 7-08 performs just about as well in real life.

And that is a pretty good testament, IMHO.

MM

+1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Jeffrey

MM

I'm glad I live here because in 45 years of hunting I've never once paid a dime for a lease/trespass fee and I hunt in several different Counties on both public and private land every season. Once you get used to the system here it's not complicated at all. I have hunted right along the shore of Cayuga lake near the Town of Lansing in the past but not in recent years. I think the last time was 2006. I have several sets of antlers on the wall from there.

I’ve never paid for a guide or a lease in TX either, but I understand that I may be the exception and not the rule.

My uncle still has a couple pieces of farm land and lives up there. I guess somebody killed a big one off his place a couple years ago and word got out. The next year he had bow stands all around the perimeter of his 80 acre farm and trespassers to boot.

I do wish we had more public land here, as I do love to wander.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by Brad
It seems like the 7mm-08 can dupe the 6.5 CM ballistic wise and maybe even edge it (haven't looked past 500 yards) . Is it the lighter recoil of the 6.5 or the 30 degree shoulder of the 6.5? Disclaimer: I have no idea what the benefit of a 30 degree shoulder is, maybe less case stretch??

I own both and like both, but I seem to have a greater attachment to the 7-08.

6.5CM: Lighter recoil, finer inherent accuracy, less down-range drift with less recoil, more and better factory ammo, and rifles properly twisted out of the box.

All true, except the down-range drift part. Ballistically, the 7-08 matches and exceeds the 6.5 CM as distance stretches out.

I'm pretty sure with the three words after what you bolded that Brad was essentially saying less down-range drift for a given recoil level while emphasizing that one can get less drift and less recoil with some 6.5mm loads compared to similar 7mm loads.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
i think the 6.5 Creed is a very nice desirable round. Wife shoots a 7-08 and I shoot either a 7-08AI or a 243 win, so I think we've got the 6.5 covered. Lately, I've been very happy with the 243 win with a Shilen barrel and 95 grain Nosler BTs. If less is enough, it's really more. I have gathered up a really good supply of both 6mm and 7mm bullets over the years, so it would be a little silly for me to change and start over with dies, bullets, brass, etc, at this stage. Happy hunting to you all.

Last edited by bludog; 01/07/22.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
When it comes to deer/pigs a 243 and a 95 grain Ballistic Tip has been a winner in my camp.

Page 5 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

256 members (338reddog, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2UP, 257 mag, 35, 21 invisible), 1,794 guests, and 932 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,505
Posts18,490,628
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.