Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 19 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 18 19
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
SKane,

One of the interesting things about the Campfire is how so many members think a vote's taking place. They want to place their vote ASAP, without providing any reason, apparently thinking the 6.5 Creedmoor will be banned if they "win the election."

LOL

The reason for starting this thread was to dig into the marketing vs ballistics and to have conversation.

My conclusion: the 6.5 CM has an easy go button with factory ammo and out of the box accuracy with factory rifles. The 7-08 can end up at the same place (and maybe further along) but the shooter has to work a little to get there. Isn't that the fun part? grin

Edit: like I said. I have both clamberings and love both

Last edited by Sakoluvr; 01/08/22.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
SKane,

One of the interesting things about the Campfire is how so many members think a vote's taking place. They want to place their vote ASAP, without providing any reason, apparently thinking the 6.5 Creedmoor will be banned if they "win the election."

This is hilarious.

I gotta admit, a thread arguing a 6.5 Creedmoor against a 7mm-08, could be the definition of rifle looney-ism. They are functionally equivalent (and both outstanding, btw) yet opinions are strong, on both sides, that one is ‘better’.

It does make the campfire a cool place to hang out. It would only be better if same discussion were around a real fire….with a good cigar.

Last edited by drano 25; 01/08/22.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I tried to like the 7-08 for a few years. Remington 700 Mountain Rifle, tried a lot of different combinations of bullets and powder trying to find "that" load. I could get it to group pretty good at 100 yards, but out past 200 yards was a crap shoot once the barrel started warming up.

I've had 5 rifles chambered in 6.5 CM, two of them Howas and three Remington 700's. Every one of those rifles was accurate out to 500 yards, which was as far as I could shoot, and that was with a heated up barrel and a variety of different bullet and powder combinations.

Now, it's probably unfair to compare one rifle to five, and I'm sure that if I tried more rifles in 7-08 I'd find at least one that shot well. But, my experiences with the 6.5 CM have been so good that I see no need to try another 7-08.

I think you've hit on something JJ. I think people tend to like cartridges that have been accurate for them personally, but the fact is, accuracy has more to do with the rifle and ammo than the cartridge.

Seems like the 6.5 CM has been the beneficiary of a lot of accurate rifles and ammo., as far as people gravitating toward it.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by smokepole
I tried to like the 7-08 for a few years. Remington 700 Mountain Rifle, tried a lot of different combinations of bullets and powder trying to find "that" load. I could get it to group pretty good at 100 yards, but out past 200 yards was a crap shoot once the barrel started warming up.

I've had 5 rifles chambered in 6.5 CM, two of them Howas and three Remington 700's. Every one of those rifles was accurate out to 500 yards, which was as far as I could shoot, and that was with a heated up barrel and a variety of different bullet and powder combinations.

Now, it's probably unfair to compare one rifle to five, and I'm sure that if I tried more rifles in 7-08 I'd find at least one that shot well. But, my experiences with the 6.5 CM have been so good that I see no need to try another 7-08.

I think you've hit on something JJ. I think people tend to like cartridges that have been accurate for them personally, but the fact is, accuracy has more to do with the rifle and ammo than the cartridge.

Seems like the 6.5 CM has been the beneficiary of a lot of accurate rifles and ammo., as far as people gravitating toward it.
The 7/08 has never been very popular around here, meaning you don't find many rifles chambered for it on gun shop racks nor much selection of ammo on the shelves. What ammo you do see is always higher priced than the equivalent in more popular rounds like .30-06, .308, .270 and............

You guessed it, 6.5 Creedmoor.

Given those facts the Creedmoor is just the more likely and practical choice for most hunters looking for a short action deer rifle/cartridge, particularly if not into reloading, which the vast majority are not.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Blackheart

MM
Nah, I don't do any real hunting. I just killed six deer, two bucks and four does, in three weeks back in mid Nov. -

Nice work, I had no idea New York's bag limits were that liberal.

Ta ,Da

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
458 Lott rules.Any one who does not use one for hunting deer must be a metro-sexual.Just sayin!! grin

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Huntz
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Blackheart

MM
Nah, I don't do any real hunting. I just killed six deer, two bucks and four does, in three weeks back in mid Nov. -

Nice work, I had no idea New York's bag limits were that liberal.

Ta ,Da
So now there are two obvious morons. What a surprise. LOL

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have always considered the 7-08 a 270 Win short. I have enough 270's and supplies am not interested in the 7-08. The ones I have played with have found other happy homes.

I had a Bergara HMR in 6.5 Creed. Thinking I would really enjoy getting into the LR shooting. Played around with it, but the LR bug did not stick. It certainly was an easy button.

That easy button is IMO why it is more popular, in addition to the support from Hornady. Over the last decade Hornady has certainly been a better run company than Remington.

I have a Husqvarna 6.5x55 with a 1:9 twist barrel that I really enjoy hunting with. If the rifle was chambered for 6.5 Creed, I would like it just as much.

Arcus Venator
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Jordan,
Just curious, what load are you using in the 7-08 for less drift ? I’ve been using the 156 Berger’s at 2620-2650 fps out of my Barrett 24” barrel 6.5 Creedmoor

I’ve been contemplating a 7-08 also. I assume 180 Berger’s ?

Last edited by Sendero; 01/08/22.

Terry
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I’ve worked with and been around about a half dozen of each, and precision has been about equivalent between the 6.5 CM and 7-08. One of each has struggled to maintain MOA with 3-shot groups, requiring some load development, and the other five of each chambering have easily achieved MOA for 3 and even 5-shot groups with several loads, with the best loads in a couple 6.5s and a couple 7-08s holding consistent 0.5-0.75 MOA with 5-shot groups.

It’s not a large enough sample size to make any definitive claims about inherent accuracy, but there it is.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JPro
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I'm betting there are loads of hunters who love the 6.5CM who aren't exactly "long range afficionados". There is a great selection of bullets for any and all intentions, it's a light kicker, it's extremely accurate, wide variety of factory ammo,etc. If one would take the blinders off, there is an awful lot to like about the cartridge.

Not I'll pull a "badass" on you guys.......my buddy's have MLD ground, and I cull whitetail does for them evey year (local mexicans love me). Killed almost 70 in the last 3 years with a wide variety of 6.5mm bullets. Moral to the story is there are a wide variety of reliable bullets that kill the crap out of deer sized game. That doesn't include the 100 or so hogs I "tested" bullets on, and they're much tougher than any whitetail IMO/IME.

Yep. The small-cased 6.5mm rounds are sweethearts for medium game, much like the 7mm-08…

IME, they’ve worked very well even on large game. Of course, appropriate bullets have been used.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sendero
Jordan,
Just curious, what load are you using in the 7-08 for less drift ? I’ve been using the 156 Berger’s at 2620-2650 fps out of my Barrett 24” barrel 6.5 Creedmoor

I’ve been contemplating a 7-08 also. I assume 180 Berger’s ?

I’m mostly still using up my supply of 162 AM in 7-08, but I’ve played a little with the 195 Berger at 2475 fps and the 180 ELD at ~2600 fps from 22” barrels. I’m also shooting the 147 ELD at 2650-2700 fps from my 21-26” barrelled 6.5 CMs.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have both the 6.5 CM and a 7-08. Not much difference on paper or in the field.
Have a 280AI and a 7 Rem Mag also. They all do pretty much the same thing.

Most of the common rounds we use are more alike than they are different.

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I hunt in PA so you are pretty good from 223 to 338 as long as you can hit a pie plate at 100 yards for big game.

NRA Lifetime Endowment Member
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Man, there’s a lot of people signing up for a shanking.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Either "would be a good choice for women, kids or men of small stature"

Been reading and holding my breath for pages.
No one beat me to it!😊😊😊😊

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'm about 6' 2" and the scale just read 224. Do I have to sell my 6.5 now? grin

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yeah, I'm same height and about 5 pounds less than that, do I need to sell my 7-08 AND my 243 win?

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
For most practical purposes, claiming a significant difference between the 7mm-08 and 6.5 CM is really splitting hairs, although we love to do just that!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess I don't understand the Ill will against any particular rifle cartridge. I love the 6.5 CM and don't own one. Likely never will, but never say never. I don't see anyone anywhere twisting anybody's arm to switch or try different cartridges. And the introduction of a newer cartridge design doesn't take anything away from what older cartridges can and have done.

If you're happy with what you've got, then be happy. I don't care if you shoot a 38-55 or a 7mm Patriot, or a phased plasma rifle. Or, for that matter, even the 30-06.
If you're good with the .243, or the 45-70, and been good for a lifetime, then you're good.

But...
If you're new to rifles, and need something to punch steel or fur and do it well, with no fuss, the 6.5 CM is likely the best avenue to success in it's class.

If you live for the .270 vs 30-06 articles of the 1970s I hope you have some stashed in your old reading pile

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Page 7 of 19 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

158 members (35, arky65, 240NMC, 10Glocks, afisher, 12 invisible), 1,534 guests, and 855 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,603
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.