Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
As long as you don't use soft explosive bullets it doesn't bruise up that much meat. I do it with a 300 Weatherby and still have some shoulder meat left to grind up.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The back edge of the front leg and halfway up the chest usually takes out the lungs and hits scapula. It comes close to the spine, which nearly always results in DRT. That’s my version of the high-shoulder shot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Featherweight6555
If they are headed in the general direction of the truck I like the heart shot.
If they are headed generally away from the truck I prefer the high shoulder shot.

Unless pursued by dogs almost every deer I've shot that remained ambulatory turned around and went back the way he came.

Last edited by Hastings; 01/08/22. Reason: spelling correction

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I had the opportunity to use the high shoulder shot my last day in the woods this season. I had a shot at a doe right on the edge of some thick cover. She stepped out just before dark. I was already packing up getting ready to leave the stand. I had just put my binoculars in my pack. I grabbed my gun to leave the stand and saw some movement about 75 yds out. I got her in the scope and confirmed that it was a legal deer. I thought almost dark and thick cover, good time to use this shot. she was quartering away at a pretty good angle. I put the crosshairs high on the shoulder and squeezed one off. She dropped in her tracks like a sack of potatoes. Didn't even twitch when she hit the ground, DRT. 6.5 Creedmoor with a 143gr Hornady ELD-X. Clean pass through in the shoulder and out the base of the neck on the opposite side.
[Linked Image]

Attached Images
d1xx.jpg (48.13 KB, 233 downloads)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To my mind that isn’t all that high but what do I know. I would call that a shoulder shot.

Years ago I watch film of a guy shooting a bunch of game in Africa and he was shooting everything spine height or just below at the shoulder. So when I see “high shoulder” that’s what I think of, wrong or right.

When I stopped and thought about it, the only ones I’be had turn around and go back the way they came were ones I missed. smile

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by Featherweight6555
If they are headed in the general direction of the truck I like the heart shot.
If they are headed generally away from the truck I prefer the high shoulder shot.

Unless pursued by dogs almost every deer I've shot that remained ambulatory turned around and went back the way he came.

I honestly can't remember having one turn around and head back after being shot. Everyone that continued on after the shot headed in the direction they were traveling I believe

Last edited by moosemike; 01/08/22.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
cas6969, That's higher than I usually shoot them. Here is the exit hole in the base of the neck.

[Linked Image]

Attached Images
zzzzz.jpg (26.27 KB, 194 downloads)
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I can't ever remember a deer turning and going back to where it came from. Regardless of where it was hit or with what gun

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I get a great deal of pleasure shooting them right through the heart. Short run with a very easy to track blood trail. If I’m doe hunting (meat) hunting and I have a very steady rest (I’m sitting in a box) and the range is short, I’ll shoot them right in the head. It’s so much nicer to field dress them when they are head shot.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
The back edge of the front leg and halfway up the chest usually takes out the lungs and hits scapula. It comes close to the spine, which nearly always results in DRT. That’s my version of the high-shoulder shot.

Describes it very well….and is a fairly large target area.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I get a lot of enjoyment seeing the deer headed to the ground after the shot in my scope. And not having to look for them in some thorny briar patch.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

I hold very slightly above halfway and back edge of front leg on direct broadside for my version.

If the spine is broken the shot hit higher than I intend and the bullet slapping the scapula below the spine really seem to stun the CNS. Today I learned that the brachial plexus is a thing.

Bleeding is good because of the large arteries close to the spine and the heart seems to stop from blood loss not CNS damage.

Very little meat loss with VLDs and as Tim said I will trade shoulder meat for heart/liver on a 4 to 1 basis.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

226 members (444afic, 5sdad, 10gaugemag, 41rem, 348srfun, 264mag, 27 invisible), 1,650 guests, and 1,070 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,070
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.