Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Paul mentioned Bergara above and we’ve continued to receive a decent supply from them. They have two big “X’s” in my book - they’re heavy and they don’t currently import stainless rifles. I know Ruger and Winchester weren’t known for light rifles, but they were American made. That’s a big plus in my book.

I’m all for American made, but we no longer have a nationalistic mental climate here, or a true capitalist system but rather big, global corporations. The “made in China” attitude has spilled over to all kinds of products even when not made in China. Profits — cheap means of production trumping quality, and meeting a price point are the priority. Also, the tactical style has overtaken us as you mentioned.

The secondary gun makers, niche shops, and special runs have sprung up presumably to meet the demand of ‘Fire type folks but they are small production venues and seem to struggle with any consistency, are one-of situations, or even fall out of the market..

I certainly don’t have all the answers concerning a business you are in but It seems to indicate that we — ‘Fire type folks and the desires we have in common — are a small and shrinking demographic.

HR IC

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by geedubya
I guess I have a different perspective.......

All purchased pre-enjoyed at a value!

Some recent acquisitions.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Steyr Ultra-light, 223 Rem

Rigby Style Stalking Rifle, Parker-Hale action, 275 Rigby

Steyr Mannlicher Classic, 8mm x 57

Sako AIII Deluxe, 270 Win.

Sako AV Deluxe, 280 Rem

Custom, Remington 600, Mannlicher, 17 Mach IV

Remington Model 7 Custom Shop, 7mm--08

Remington 700, Custom Shop, 300 Win Mag

Blaser R93 Grand Luxe, 30-06 Springfield

ya!

GWB

GW - are you absolutely sure you're not interested in adopting any adult children? 😇😂

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I had to guess, it would be:

1. Cost of raw material
2. Availability of raw material
3. Cost of manufacturing with stainless
4. Cost of cerakote vs. stainless

We need more stainless hunting rifles.

You mean they fibbed? grin
[Linked Image]

While not as attractive as "classic" rifles, nobody's convincing me to take the suppressors off of my threaded Fieldcrafts.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
If I had to guess, it would be:

1. Cost of raw material
2. Availability of raw material
3. Cost of manufacturing with stainless
4. Cost of cerakote vs. stainless

We need more stainless hunting rifles.

You mean they fibbed? grin
[Linked Image]

While not as attractive as "classic" rifles, nobody's convincing me to take the suppressors off of my threaded Fieldcrafts.

It’s not about the outside of the barrel (grin)

And I have 9 suppressors. Don’t hunt much with them though.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Seeing GW’s post, I have to say I think the Blaser R93/R8 straight-pull rifles, and having had both, were the most innovative guns for a hundred years, with quality throughout, but seem to be appreciated only by a certain kind of buyer here.

Again, demand.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It might be as simple as they can sell all they make of the stuff geezers hate, so why bother with other stuff? As someone mentioned, Ruger has historically suspended production of models when the supply lines were deemed full so as not to create surpluses that lead to big discounts, like the $800 No.1 V you sold me a few years back😛. I’ll bet some of their classic stuff will reappear once the huge demand for anything that spits lead subsides.

I recently bought what probably is my last rifle, at least my last new one, an M70 EW MB. I’ve played with a few M70s over the years, including a Pre64 I hunted with for 30-odd years, a Post-64 .22/250 that belonged to an old friend, and a couple of Classic SS .270s belonging to my sons. The two SS Classics were the worst of the lot, the Pre-64 and my new one the best. Except for the two-piece bolt of the new one, I’d rank it fully the equal of the old one, though they are configured very differently of course. I’d prefer the old trigger, but the new one is just fine. Machining quality, smoothness, and function are all I could ask for. Wasn’t cheap, but it was worth it.

Haven’t cared about Remingtons since I bought a 600 50 years ago. I’ll take a Howa over a 700 every time for their solid, all forged actions with one-piece bolts and the easiest take-down I’ve seen. I hope the new Remington prospers (and deserves to), but they’ll have to do it without me.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I know I can’t be the only person out there disgusted with what’s currently available on the market?

oh really now?

Imagine being a lefty.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I know all about the manufacturing challenges. Maybe I’m getting old? Not that I don’t think there is a place for the Ruger American or the Savage Axis, I just think there is a huge segment of the bolt action market that wants something better. It appears as if every manufacturer thinks dipping their stocks in some god awful camouflage and cerakoting the action is innovation.

Truth.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm lefty and it sucks for choices. Thankfully I have a Ruger MKII and several Hawkeyes in lefty and lefty Winchester 70 classic. My stainless lefty is an A-bolt and I have a right Kimber Montana. I just am thankful I picked up what I did, when I did. Blessed

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad
America wants blister pack rifles. Thankfully I have everything I want, none of which have been made in the last few years.

Can't hardly blame them with the cost of rifles these days

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mike78
I still do not understand why Ruger abandoned the Hawkeye in the stainless/plastic stocks and blued/walnut. They were the best feeling, rendition of the 77 action. Ruger really messed up in my opinion.

A Ruger American is not something I would take on a hunt outside my backyard

I agree about the 77's. Now I may very well purchase an American to compliment my Hawkeye which I don't take out in nasty weather

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
And for the love of god, can manufacturers stop putting threads on the end of every damned barrel they send out? Guns are supposed to be loud and have recoil. If you can’t handle that, perhaps you should take up basket weaving.

^ this

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm lefty and it sucks for choices. Thankfully I have a Ruger MKII and several Hawkeyes in lefty and lefty Winchester 70 classic. My stainless lefty is an A-bolt and I have a right Kimber Montana. I just am thankful I picked up what I did, when I did. Blessed

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm a lefty and haven't owned a left handed bolt gun in decades. I enjoy having choices

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Off the shelf is hard to live with 90% of the time.
Life’s too short to own junk.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Life’s too short to own junk.

Yep

TB, CWD and Covid-19 , free so far.....
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Me too. Hope you are right. As this thread demonstrates, the American public is ready for a well thought out and well made rifle that hasn’t been dumbed down for the masses.

It would be nice to see a rifle maker give us rifle loonies some credit.

I am lost on the difference between "the American public" and "the masses"?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
SAS,
Couldn't agree with you more. Everything offered today is blah. The European rifle market interests me to some degree these days but they're following the U.S. market with plastic and economy rifles. One thing that I can say about the few European rifles I own that the latest American manufacturers can't seem to figure out is feeding and extraction. Kimber Hunters with the magazines are about the absolute worst for positive feeding followed by the double-stack internal mag Savage setups. Tikka feeds and extracts better than anything out there albeit they're mostly plastic.

Ruger has spawned renewed interest in Marlin and the new 1895 CSBL .45-70s are pushing $2-3K on Gunbroker. I'd like to see some nice offerings from Marlin at a reasonable price point, not $1400+. If Remington can provide what you say with the Alpha offering and pay attention to detail (e.g. accuracy, trigger, feeding, extraction, fit/finish), they'll have something. The stuff that interests me is what I own now. I don't need another expendable, economy rifle.

C
ccd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
JB has mentioned this before , but walnut prices are unreal and are not going to get better anytime soon. Turkey is only able to put out such stocks on their guns because their regime is so corrupt. Erdogan is allowing the wholesale cutting of everything to stave off the coming collapse for as long as he can

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I may be wrong, but before I would pay 2k for some of the factory offerings, I would just do a custom and get the chamber I wanted, barrel length I want, contour and twist rate, etc.
Not everyone is shooting 1000 yards or more, same as not everyone is shooting 50 gr 22-250 bullets. Get the twist for what you are wanting to shoot.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Page 4 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, Big1bud, 7 invisible), 1,449 guests, and 786 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.