Hop To
Page 9 of 16 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 15 16
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
The (Portugal) M70 FWTs are still very high quality, at least.
.............and they have that sweet MOA trigger.... OOOOOOOOoooooohhh!

That trigger isn’t that bad man. Granted it’s not as smooth as you make the old ones….but it’s not horrible.

Camp is where you make it.
HR IC

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
G-dub,

That styer .223’is pretty interesting. I like it.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I heard at our LGS that Kimber is on it's last leg with long guns

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When savage and ruger had the throw away guns come out and then Remington joined them I posted on here that it was a race to the bottom. We are almost to the bottom.

The only rifles for hunting I’m interested in aren’t made in USA but made in Europe. Pretty sad.

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by haverluk
I would like to question the consumerism part of this. Maybe you older generations can expand on.

Taking inflation into consideration, at what price point were the quality rifles sold for in days gone by compared to the low end priced rifles on the market today? For example, were the Pre-64 70s priced like today's $1500, $1000, or $500 rifles?

Were the older generations willing to spend more money on one or two "quality" do-it-all rifles for their battery compared to today where the consumers seem to treat rifles like golf clubs and have more in the safe to cover every situation?

Loonies are just that, so they don't count. I am referring to the average consumer.

One big difference might be that the "budget" rifles of the 60s and 70s would be considered middle tier rifles today -- walnut, blued, no plastic, open sights. My hunch is that the average hunter from the WW2 generation owned one or two rifles and did everything with them.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D, I agree. And one of us should have kept that Classic Stainless 7mm-08. Or kept selling it back and forth….

Now I want to go find it.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by tedthorn
I heard at our LGS that Kimber is on it's last leg with long guns

I imagine they probably sat in on a conference call crazy

I think they've been selling a lot of Hunters.

The LGS guys could be right, but I'd be surprised if they knew any more about it than I do.

Originally Posted by 260madman
When savage and ruger had the throw away guns come out and then Remington joined them I posted on here that it was a race to the bottom. We are almost to the bottom.

The only rifles for hunting I’m interested in aren’t made in USA but made in Europe. Pretty sad.

With the prices that nicer 700's, 70's and 77's have been going for, my last few rifle purchases have been Cooper.

A shame Bill Ruger isn't still with us, because I doubt we'd be in this predicament.

Last edited by WhelenAway; 01/11/22.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
I’m not telling you anything you didn’t already know, just thinking out loud. Has the Golden Age of bolt action rifles as we knew it come and gone?

Nothing desirable from Kimber (Montana, Classic, Classic Select).
Ruger 77’s or Hawkeye’s have mutated into a techno/tactical version that doesn’t appeal to me.
Remington 700’s are shipping in a few forms, but they’re just using up old parts. The new “Alpha” 700 has me interested, but no idea when they’ll ship. I don’t think stainless is an option either.
No Barrett Fieldcraft’s for now and I don’t expect them ever to return in the same form.
Winchester isn’t the old Winchester and they’re not shipping well either.
Tikka still makes a good stainless hunting rifle, but shipments are far and few between.
Christensen has done a decent job keeping rifles on the shelf.
Proof has been shipping a few too.

I know all about the manufacturing challenges. Maybe I’m getting old? Not that I don’t think there is a place for the Ruger American or the Savage Axis, I just think there is a huge segment of the bolt action market that wants something better. It appears as if every manufacturer thinks dipping their stocks in some god awful camouflage and cerakoting the action is innovation.

I know I can’t be the only person out there disgusted with what’s currently available on the market?

You know you aren't the only person with this belief. One of the reasons I only look at used rifles these days. There are always great deals to be had in the used rifle market. You'd know that, if you sold some. Instead you sell brand new chidt.. And yes, most of it is by and large just that..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by Redneck
The (Portugal) M70 FWTs are still very high quality, at least.
.............and they have that sweet MOA trigger.... OOOOOOOOoooooohhh!

That trigger isn’t that bad man. Granted it’s not as smooth as you make the old ones….but it’s not horrible.

The MOA trigger is a great trigger. It just isn't the simple tried and true oldstyle model 70 trigger. I think that is the big gripe Lee has with it. It chaps my hide as well, why Browning chose to change a great design. Also, the MOA can be made very good with just a spring change. All of the ones I installed an Erniethegunsmith spring in, dropped the pull weight down to 2 1/2 pounds. 1 was 2 3/8 pounds and it broke like a glass rod. Over the years, I've probably changed 10 springs and that is all that is needed..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

For 90% of rifle buyers $750 to 1200 isn't cheap. Which, again, you already know.

Actually...here in Australia that amount is pretty much bottom of the heap cheap, we pay through the nose for firearms. You lot don't seem to realise how good you have it.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by moosemike

He does but he enjoys acting like a dick

You would be incorrect.

Peruse this and see if I am kidding.

Used guns

Here is another.

Oz guns.

Last edited by JSTUART; 01/12/22.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by JSTUART

For 90% of rifle buyers $750 to 1200 isn't cheap. Which, again, you already know.

Actually...here in Australia that amount is pretty much bottom of the heap cheap, we pay through the nose for firearms. You lot don't seem to realise how good you have it.

You're literally the only person in this entire thread thinking or talking about Australia which, yet again, you already know. Context matters... and much as I like our friends down under, y'all aren't who rifle producers have in mind when they reset the market.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JSTUART

He does but he enjoys acting like a dick

You would be incorrect.

Peruse this and see if I am kidding.

Used guns

Here is another.

Oz guns.

I forgot the whole Australia angle. Forgive me

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Some of you are saying the 77 Hawkeye is discontinued but I just checked Rugers website and it still shows Hawkeyes???

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Some of you are saying the 77 Hawkeye is discontinued but I just checked Rugers website and it still shows Hawkeyes???

I think what people are saying is that you can find Ruger Americans everywhere but try and find a new Hawkeye for sale.

NRA Lifetime Endowment Member
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ken_L

I think what people are saying is that you can find Ruger Americans everywhere but try and find a new Hawkeye for sale.

Ok that makes sense. That lines up with my experience as well

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I’m not telling you anything you didn’t already know, just thinking out loud. Has the Golden Age of bolt action rifles as we knew it come and gone?

Nothing desirable from Kimber (Montana, Classic, Classic Select).
Ruger 77’s or Hawkeye’s have mutated into a techno/tactical version that doesn’t appeal to me.
Remington 700’s are shipping in a few forms, but they’re just using up old parts. The new “Alpha” 700 has me interested, but no idea when they’ll ship. I don’t think stainless is an option either.
No Barrett Fieldcraft’s for now and I don’t expect them ever to return in the same form.
Winchester isn’t the old Winchester and they’re not shipping well either.
Tikka still makes a good stainless hunting rifle, but shipments are far and few between.
Christensen has done a decent job keeping rifles on the shelf.
Proof has been shipping a few too.

I know all about the manufacturing challenges. Maybe I’m getting old? Not that I don’t think there is a place for the Ruger American or the Savage Axis, I just think there is a huge segment of the bolt action market that wants something better. It appears as if every manufacturer thinks dipping their stocks in some god awful camouflage and cerakoting the action is innovation.

I know I can’t be the only person out there disgusted with what’s currently available on the market?

You know you aren't the only person with this belief. One of the reasons I only look at used rifles these days. There are always great deals to be had in the used rifle market. You'd know that, if you sold some. Instead you sell brand new chidt.. And yes, most of it is by and large just that..

Negative. We sell tons of used guns. Thousands each year actually. I buy collections and take trades daily. I’d say we have an excellent handle on the used market. We get to see what the consumer expects to receive from his/her used firearm and we also know what the used firearm will bring.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pullit
I may be wrong, but before I would pay 2k for some of the factory offerings, I would just do a custom and get the chamber I wanted, barrel length I want, contour and twist rate, etc.
Not everyone is shooting 1000 yards or more, same as not everyone is shooting 50 gr 22-250 bullets. Get the twist for what you are wanting to shoot.

This is how I see it. I agree with SAS post. The issue is always that seems everyone hunting has a different want. Chambering, stock, trigger, barrel twist, barrel length and on and on. Even 10 years ago I couldn't find a production rifle to suit me so I went with a 700 xcrii as a place to start. So with a edge stock and a new trigger I ended up with a rifle I am 90% happy with. And even then I would have been better off just going custom.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ken_L

Ok that makes sense. That lines up with my experience as well

Traditional, wood/blued Hawkeyes are discontinued, not counting the African.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I’d like to add this to the conversation. I’ll use Kimber as an example.

Kimber has another revenue line - pistols. I’ve been told the pistols are where they make their profits and I fully believe and understand that to be the truth. I don’t think anyone can question the fact that the pistol line far outsold the rifle line. They market their 1911’s as “custom” and it’s served them well.

From a retailers perspective, we need every pistol they make on the shelf. Every variation of the 1911 they produce sells, period. The rifle line was a totally different story. They had far too many SKU’s. Certain models would linger on the shelf for years. I’d eventually mark it down to get it off the shelf and it would go. Bargains do miracles.

If a company like Kimber, who relies on their strong/profitable revenue stream from pistols wants a rifle line, they need to take the custom approach there as well. They need to charge for it too. You can’t build a semi-custom rifle and maintain high quality on a production rifle retail strategy.

I’d be happy if they’d tell us, “We’re only making 4 different rifles in 4 different chamberings in 2022. We’re going to produce an 84M Classic in 308, an 84L Classic in 25-06, an 84M Montana in 223 and an 84L Montana in 270 - but we’re going to make them right. Twisted right, individually bedded, mag boxed accordingly. Every rifle will as close to as a semi-custom production rifle as we can make. Next year we’ll have the same rifles in different chamberings, so order as many of these as you can handle for this year. We’re only producing 1500 rifles in each offering. Everything from this point is limited production and we expect to earn your full support with the quality of our products!.”

The rifle would cost more, but people would pay for it. All manufacturers whine about niche markets but very few capitalize on it. Those niche market guys expect to pay more for what they want. And then you get the trickle down….those guys rave about their new Kimber’s and the bar has been set. The guys that bought their Kimber’s tell their buddies it’s THE only rifle to buy and before you know it the guy that knows nothing about rifles buys next year’s Kimber because it’s THE rifle and he tells his buddy.

It’s not always about price. You don’t have to produce to the masses to be profitable or successful. There will always be manufacturers that produce for the masses.

I’ve said it for years, but eventually one manufacturer will get it all right and they’ll change the game. A couple got close, but didn’t persevere.

I agree.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Page 9 of 16 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

494 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 46 invisible), 2,246 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,509
Posts18,490,747
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.