Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 16 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 15 16
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Somewhere a village is missing its idiot.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
I’m not telling you anything you didn’t already know, just thinking out loud. Has the Golden Age of bolt action rifles as we knew it come and gone?

Nothing desirable from Kimber (Montana, Classic, Classic Select).
Ruger 77’s or Hawkeye’s have mutated into a techno/tactical version that doesn’t appeal to me.
Remington 700’s are shipping in a few forms, but they’re just using up old parts. The new “Alpha” 700 has me interested, but no idea when they’ll ship. I don’t think stainless is an option either.
No Barrett Fieldcraft’s for now and I don’t expect them ever to return in the same form.
Winchester isn’t the old Winchester and they’re not shipping well either.
Tikka still makes a good stainless hunting rifle, but shipments are far and few between.
Christensen has done a decent job keeping rifles on the shelf.
Proof has been shipping a few too.

I know all about the manufacturing challenges. Maybe I’m getting old? Not that I don’t think there is a place for the Ruger American or the Savage Axis, I just think there is a huge segment of the bolt action market that wants something better. It appears as if every manufacturer thinks dipping their stocks in some god awful camouflage and cerakoting the action is innovation.

I know I can’t be the only person out there disgusted with what’s currently available on the market?

You know you aren't the only person with this belief. One of the reasons I only look at used rifles these days. There are always great deals to be had in the used rifle market. You'd know that, if you sold some. Instead you sell brand new chidt.. And yes, most of it is by and large just that..

HR IC

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Another point of interest….

The used market is where it is because guys have nothing to trade for! That goes back to my original post. They bring their Ruger, Remington, Kimber or Brand X into the store to trade for another Ruger, Remington, Kimber or Brand X in a different chambering and there aren’t any new Ruger, Remington, Kimber or Brand X’s to trade for. The manufacturers aren’t producing rifles in quality similar to theirs and they aren’t trading down to a Ruger American or a Savage Axis. Guys will trade for equal or greater quality, but they won’t go down in perceived quality. If we get lucky they’ll sell us the rifle and we can put it on the used rack to appease another treasure hunter. That’s basically what’s happened. Common, quality sporting rifles have turned into treasures because manufacturers aren’t producing quality, common sporting rifles. And the quality used rifles continue to rise in price because that’s what the consumer wants!

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Call me the anti Christ but the new Winchesters seem pretty good to me.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

I can deal with a Tikka here and there as well.

I just don’t believe the sky has fallen that hard just yet. I know it ain’t great but stuff is around if you look.

Semper Fi
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by beretzs

I just don’t believe the sky has fallen that hard just yet. I know it ain’t great but stuff is around if you look.

Agree, re: M70. There was a while, pre-COVID, when TSS had a bunch of FWTs and sporter for $750ish. Wish I'd grabbed a few, along with the 325s CDNN had for $600 😒😢.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Another point of interest….

The used market is where it is because guys have nothing to trade for! That goes back to my original post. They bring their Ruger, Remington, Kimber or Brand X into the store to trade for another Ruger, Remington, Kimber or Brand X in a different chambering and there aren’t any new Ruger, Remington, Kimber or Brand X’s to trade for. The manufacturers aren’t producing rifles in quality similar to theirs and they aren’t trading down to a Ruger American or a Savage Axis. Guys will trade for equal or greater quality, but they won’t go down in perceived quality. If we get lucky they’ll sell us the rifle and we can put it on the used rack to appease another treasure hunter. That’s basically what’s happened. Common, quality sporting rifles have turned into treasures because manufacturers aren’t producing quality, common sporting rifles. And the quality used rifles continue to rise in price because that’s what the consumer wants!

Actually the used market is where it's at if you know what you are doing (which of course you do). We picked up a number of post 94's from a family of a collector who just wanted to get rid of them since they sold the pre 64's for what they thought was good money.

NRA Lifetime Endowment Member
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm

Agree, re: M70. There was a while, pre-COVID, when TSS had a bunch of FWTs and sporter for $750ish. Wish I'd grabbed a few, along with the 325s CDNN had for $600 😒😢.

I snagged one of the 325’s for 600. Excellent rifle so far as well.

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The Winchester M70's coming out of Portugal right now are pretty dang nice!

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by shinbone
The Winchester M70's coming out of Portugal right now are pretty dang nice!

I agree. Hate to admit it but they’re pretty good. For a 6 dollar trigger spring to fix the pull it’s hard to complain about them.

Yours looks like a hammer as well.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by Ken_L
Originally Posted by moosemike
Some of you are saying the 77 Hawkeye is discontinued but I just checked Rugers website and it still shows Hawkeyes???

I think what people are saying is that you can find Ruger Americans everywhere but try and find a new Hawkeye for sale.

Ok that makes sense. That lines up with my experience as well

Traditional, wood/blued Hawkeyes are discontinued, not counting the African.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Ok thanks

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I guess I unwittingly supported SAS's position...bought a vanguard talus today. Hell of a nice rifle for $799.

So, yes, if nice rifles are available we will pony up the cash.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
And for the love of god, can manufacturers stop putting threads on the end of every damned barrel they send out? Guns are supposed to be loud and have recoil. If you can’t handle that, perhaps you should take up basket weaving.

100%%%%%% I hate brakes in both look and feel(on my ears)

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by d500lnn
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
And for the love of god, can manufacturers stop putting threads on the end of every damned barrel they send out? Guns are supposed to be loud and have recoil. If you can’t handle that, perhaps you should take up basket weaving.

100%%%%%% I hate brakes in both look and feel(on my ears)

If we would get with the program and stop pretending suppressors are going to turn everyone into mafia assassins or stealth poachers, I wouldn't mind a threaded barrel to keep the kids from going deaf. But no thanks on a brake... if the recoil is that bad, install a new pad or get a new gun. Very obnoxious at the range.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by drano 25
Much of the current rifle buying customers now are flat out fakes. They only care that they look like fit in group so they mimic what they see others doing/buying and have no clue how a product should work or perform, and seemingly what it’s supposed to do. Almost daily, someone with a new HMR posts on the Facebook page something like,”what’s everyone using for ___________?” The blank could be suppressors, scopes, scope levels, magazines, tripod mounts (my fave, lol)…you get the idea… They might as well scream, “I can’t read, comprehend and discern for myself what to get, but that doesn’t matter because all that matters is that you accept me so tell me what to do.”

All the times I've seen threads here where someone wasn't smart enough to figure out what gun/caliber/scope/twist rate they wanted. I never thought of that. Interesting.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by EdM
The only new rifle I have bought in many years is a Mauser M12 308 Win sold at a huge discount around a year ago. Some folks here know of what I speak. When delivered it was a quality piece to the point of me buying three for my sons as Christmas gifts. They are happy... I have plenty of pre-80's, 70's, 60's... rifles. These Mauser made me appreciate the "new" build.

I bought one as well from Impact Guns. Made in Germany and I really like the rifle overall. The bolt is cheaper and the barreled action is not stainless, but it feels good, is very accurate and quite shallowly it looks good!

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D

For a reason I can't really explain, I've been wanting to get a new model 70 featherweight in 22-250. Not sure why but I think they are cool.

Gonna shoot that tikka tomorrow too!

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I like the winchester but, again, can't seem to find it order it around here.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dude270

For a reason I can't really explain, I've been wanting to get a new model 70 featherweight in 22-250. Not sure why but I think they are cool.

I’d really love a Featherweight 22 Creed myself. Or an Ackley. I think that’d be a sweet rifle.

Great, now you’ve got my wheels turning grin

Semper Fi
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I figured I could shoot it as is for a while, but when the mood strikes, I have a 7 twist bartlien propped up in the corner that could be turned down to a FW contour easy enough!

Just need to find one, no luck so far online

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J

I’d really love a Featherweight 22 Creed myself. Or an Ackley. I think that’d be a sweet rifle.

Great, now you’ve got my wheels turning grin

Me too. I like the idea of a hot 22 featherweight. That thought has never occurred to me until now. Great….

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I figured I could shoot it as is for a while, but when the mood strikes, I have a 7 twist bartlien propped up in the corner that could be turned down to a FW contour easy enough!

Just need to find one, no luck so far online

That’d be a stellar rifle. Same idea here. Almost grabbed one Classic from Perry County Firearms. I lagged.

Semper Fi
Page 10 of 16 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1minute, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,443 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,562
Posts18,491,797
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.