Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by JoeBob
New York has about 22 deer per square mile. But actually it’s probably a lot higher than that because so much of the state is heavily urbanized and the deer will be more concentrated in those areas that aren’t. If there are any noticeable drops in deer population from year-to-year it probably has more to do with disease and weather than anything else.
I wouldn't call New York "heavily urabanized". The State is 62.88% forested, which puts it at # 12 in the nation for percentage of forested land.

Areas of the state are a lot more heavily urbanized than most. And of course, woods aren’t necessarily good deer habitat anyway.
Lots of good deer habitat in New York. Central NY covered in farmland. Lots of deer in suburban areas too. The heavily forested wilderness areas of the Adirondacks and Catskills will always be low deer density due to being poor habitat. As a percentage of the total land area of the State, the urban areas aren't much. In fact at 8.7%, the percentage of land area that is urbanized in NY is not far from Georgia at 8.3% and is far less than.

NJ 39.4%
Mass. 38.4%
Conn. 37.7%
Del. 20.8%
Md. 20.5%
Fl. 13.7%

And even less than some you might not suspect like.

Pa. 10.5%
NC. 9.5%
Oh. 10.8%

All the state you mentioned are what I would consider pretty highly urbanized.
Consider it what you want. The fact remains that NY State is over 91% rural/semi rural/farm land or wilderness and outside of those urban and wilderness areas the deer population ranges from fair to good to well over capacity.

I don’t have to consider it much at all. It’s 4th in total population and 7th in population density.

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by cra1948
I have read this thread through from the beginning. I have to say, it's given me more laughs than anything else recently. It was a tough decision, but the awards are as follows:

Most ridiculous post: This has to be a tie, with equal honors going out to Keith and DaveinWVa for the insurance company conspiracy angle.

Just for the record, boys, the insurance companies don't give a damn how many deer get hit by cars. It's not like they have some finite pool of money to pay out. The more they pay out, the more they charge and instances where people have to collect on their insurance only serves to further stimulate their customer base to buy more product. They employ actuaries to figure this schitt out and they raise their rates to cover their risks, and they are not concerned with the short term, they are in it for the long term.

Most intelligent post: Here we have a three-way tie among Jorge, EdM and Blackheart.

Either my fiend lied or it's factual. I know the man so I give him my trust in this.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
New York has about 22 deer per square mile. But actually it’s probably a lot higher than that because so much of the state is heavily urbanized and the deer will be more concentrated in those areas that aren’t. If there are any noticeable drops in deer population from year-to-year it probably has more to do with disease and weather than anything else.
I wouldn't call New York "heavily urabanized". The State is 62.88% forested, which puts it at # 12 in the nation for percentage of forested land.

Areas of the state are a lot more heavily urbanized than most. And of course, woods aren’t necessarily good deer habitat anyway.
Lots of good deer habitat in New York. Central NY covered in farmland. Lots of deer in suburban areas too. The heavily forested wilderness areas of the Adirondacks and Catskills will always be low deer density due to being poor habitat. As a percentage of the total land area of the State, the urban areas aren't much. In fact at 8.7%, the percentage of land area that is urbanized in NY is not far from Georgia at 8.3% and is far less than.

NJ 39.4%
Mass. 38.4%
Conn. 37.7%
Del. 20.8%
Md. 20.5%
Fl. 13.7%

Pa. 10.5%
NC. 9.5%
Oh. 10.8%

Consider it what you want. The fact remains that NY State is over 91% rural/semi rural/farm land or wilderness and outside of those urban and wilderness areas the deer population ranges from fair to good to well over capacity.

I don’t have to consider it much at all. It’s 4th in total population and 7th in population density.
And the majority of that population is centered in the NYC metropolitan area. On the flip side Hamilton County, the largest in the State, has the lowest human population density of any county East of the Mississippi. Neither has much to do with the deer population and whether or not the Govt. is suppressing it.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C

NJ 39.4%
Mass. 38.4%
Conn. 37.7%
Del. 20.8%
Md. 20.5%
Fl. 13.7%

Pa. 10.5%
NC. 9.5%
Oh. 10.8%

And the majority of that population is centered in the NYC metropolitan area. On the flip side Hamilton County, the largest in the State, has the lowest human population density of any county East of the Mississippi. Neither has much to do with the deer population and whether or not the Govt. is suppressing it.

Actually, Hamilton County is 3rd biggest. St. Lawrence County is biggest by far but, that aside, yes, these people who think NYS is all city or “heavily urbanized “ need to look north of the thruway. It’s a whole different world.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by miguel
New York does not manage the deer herd for hunters, they manage it for insurance companies. I doubt anyone travels to New York for deer hunting. If you want to see really dismal hunting, try the Adirondacks!

Been that way for to long. Then they don't want us feeding them in the winter and let the weaker and the ones run ragged through hunting season die. A few 1000 pound round bales of alfalfa or soybean helps many of them. 20 years ago I was feeding 80-100 every year and when the number started dropping it dropped fast, down to only about 10 now. Another big killer is the nuisance permits and doe tags.

Last edited by DANNYL; 01/15/22.
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Game Warden friend called me this morning... he is issuing a kill permit for 25 deer on a small 200-300 acre farm nearby... wanted to know if I could bring my quiet stuff... we will be killing at night and there are neighbors we will hopefully not disturb.

I see no shortage of deer.

Shortage of acorns in 2021 yes... but shortage of deer... none to my awareness.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The government can’t make anyone pull the trigger on deer!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I don't know what happened but there certainly wasn't many deer in my area this year. That includes big woods and farmland. I border 800 acres of state land. One evening last summer, I watched a small twin engine prop plane flying low along my southern border. About every 100 yds. it was dumping a cloud of something and I don't believe that it was fuel. Didn't think of getting a photo at the time, but was thinking "That's my land".

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

351 members (1lesfox, 257 mag, 163bc, 1badf350, 160user, 06hunter59, 34 invisible), 2,338 guests, and 1,078 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,329
Posts18,526,586
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.