Originally Posted by JoeBob
Originally Posted by Blackheart
New York has about 22 deer per square mile. But actually it’s probably a lot higher than that because so much of the state is heavily urbanized and the deer will be more concentrated in those areas that aren’t. If there are any noticeable drops in deer population from year-to-year it probably has more to do with disease and weather than anything else.
I wouldn't call New York "heavily urabanized". The State is 62.88% forested, which puts it at # 12 in the nation for percentage of forested land.

Areas of the state are a lot more heavily urbanized than most. And of course, woods aren’t necessarily good deer habitat anyway.
Lots of good deer habitat in New York. Central NY covered in farmland. Lots of deer in suburban areas too. The heavily forested wilderness areas of the Adirondacks and Catskills will always be low deer density due to being poor habitat. As a percentage of the total land area of the State, the urban areas aren't much. In fact at 8.7%, the percentage of land area that is urbanized in NY is not far from Georgia at 8.3% and is far less than.

NJ 39.4%
Mass. 38.4%
Conn. 37.7%
Del. 20.8%
Md. 20.5%
Fl. 13.7%

And even less than some you might not suspect like.

Pa. 10.5%
NC. 9.5%
Oh. 10.8%

All the state you mentioned are what I would consider pretty highly urbanized.
Consider it what you want. The fact remains that NY State is over 91% rural/semi rural/farm land or wilderness and outside of those urban and wilderness areas the deer population ranges from fair to good to well over capacity.

I don’t have to consider it much at all. It’s 4th in total population and 7th in population density.
And the majority of that population is centered in the NYC metropolitan area. On the flip side Hamilton County, the largest in the State, has the lowest human population density of any county East of the Mississippi. Neither has much to do with the deer population and whether or not the Govt. is suppressing it.