-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nothing short of a great depression will remedy our feral hog problem and ultimately, they will end up eating us

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by kwg020
I wish it wasn't such a long drive. We have to buy the hogs to have hog roasts up here. It get's to cold for them to survive a winter outside in central Iowa. I'd love to be down your way and help you out. I'll be completely retired next year. Save a few for me.

kwg

Don't worry, they would survive up there in the cold.

Pretty sure they make it in Michigan just fine.

The live in Russia.

But Iowa? That's just too cold!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by plainsman456
They have been known to adsorb a lot of punishment.

I would just plant them on the ground as often as you can.

A TP&W game biologist helped us gut a hog we had killed on the Aransas refuge. He found a broadhead with a piece of the shaft in one of the hogs lungs when he broke it open and said the tissue surrounding the broadhead was healing. This was after the archery hunt 2 weeks previously. After seeing that I wouldn't bet the farm on what the OP is trying to do.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hanco
Illegal in Texas to transport hogs. I kill them, never gut shot one. I hate the bastards, but I don’t gut shoot them.

Could have written this myself. Same for me here.

Always feels good to drop something with big tusks on them- but not kidding myself that I am in any way controlling the population. Dang things are smart and adapt in a big hurry.

Last two deer seasons I took one opening day which I was very happy about. I have taken plenty of deer so I get more of a kick scouting for my buddy rather so seeing hogs are a treat.

You can see them in your trail cams but jumping them on my current lease is tricky if you bust their routine they tend to change it. My old lease out further west was 1000 acres and walking it you had a 50% of sneaking in on some. Miss that. both leases have seen mountain lions. Wonder how many a lion might take?

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have groups of guys down all the time to my land, rules, kill everyone you see, if you can't use it we will dig a big hole and cover it up when done

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by jackmountain
I’d gut shoot the neighbors instead. Animals should be disposed of humanely.

Now thats pretty funny. I would venture to say that its probably something the game warden would like to know about if they are trapping and relocating hogs to an area near you. They certainly create a nuisance and cause property damage to your property. As far as your question, I doubt they will die from a 22 to the gut, I would use at least a .223 and would humanely kill them. I don't like hogs, but don't want them to suffer needlessly either. I would shoot them in the head and drag them off or leave them for the buzzards. Where I hunt, the hogs are gone in a few hours once the buzzards find them.

NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Nothing short of a great depression will remedy our feral hog problem and ultimately, they will end up eating us

Just gonna have to lay down the fishing poles, cold beer and remote control down and everyone do their part to eradicate.

Don’t cook ribs and drink 40s for one weekend.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
A bud has 6,000 acres of crop land and hardwood bottom land on the Red River. He got the bright idea of buying a trailer load of Russians from Tennessee. Turned them loose, wanting to breed some sporting hogs. Well, they bred with the native feral hogs and now he regrets doing that.

I’ve hunted his property and one foggy morning, shot a 300# boar with my 6.5-284 at 225 yds. It was so foggy, I couldn’t range him. Only later was able to use the rangefinder after fog had lifted.

Drug him to the camp, weighed him. 300 pounds on the nose. Drug him to the bone pile. Next day passing by, saw just bones. Man, those coyotes sure were busy. Put a trail cam there. It was hogs eating hogs.

I’ve posted this before. I’ll shoot’em, not planning on eating them. And all the diseases they are said to carry…. Sorta lost my appetite for wild hogs. Now a young one, probably ok.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 01/18/22.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
A group of us shot a dozen or so in Oklahoma several years ago. They were 50-100 pounds. We took the quarters and back straps. They were very good eating.

NRA Patron
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by kwg020
I wish it wasn't such a long drive. We have to buy the hogs to have hog roasts up here. It get's to cold for them to survive a winter outside in central Iowa. I'd love to be down your way and help you out. I'll be completely retired next year. Save a few for me.

kwg

We have wild pigs in Northern Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba that survive Canada's frigid winters.

They are true vermin, pretty much nocturnal, which makes them tough to hunt in -30 -40 weather.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I do night hog hunting with an AR equipped with an EOTech and a Surefire white light. 64 grain Winchester power points. Works pretty good.

Sam......

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
A bud has 6,000 acres of crop land and hardwood bottom land on the Red River. He got the bright idea of buying a trailer load of Russians from Tennessee. Turned them loose, wanting to breed some sporting hogs. Well, they bred with the native feral hogs and now he regrets doing that.

I’ve hunted his property and one foggy morning, shot a 300# boar with my 6.5-284 at 225 yds. It was so foggy, I couldn’t range him. Only later was able to use the rangefinder after fog had lifted.

Drug him to the camp, weighed him. 300 pounds on the nose. Drug him to the bone pile. Next day passing by, saw just bones. Man, those coyotes sure were busy. Put a trail cam there. It was hogs eating hogs.

I’ve posted this before. I’ll shoot’em, not planning on eating them. And all the diseases they are said to carry…. Sorta lost my appetite for wild hogs. Now a young one, probably ok.

DF

Hogs have eaten hogs since the second litter I suspect. Its never stopped us from eating em but I may have a bad report in the future. Never know. Ones that come from crop areas are sweeter than store bought to us anyway. We are lucky those at 2 places we hunt are that way.

Others may not be quite as good. But just because they eat another pig or such its not a big deal to us. obviously ymmv and thats cool

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by plainsman456
They have been known to adsorb a lot of punishment.

I would just plant them on the ground as often as you can.

Yup, thats why we've been able to kill so many with 22s... LOL. They can be tough if you don't know how and when and what to shoot though. Like any animal can be.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Is anyone here against gut shooting rats with a pellet rifle? Asking for a friend of course.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I know of a feral cat that was shot in the front half of the body with a 22 LR. Must have missed the vitals though since it is still around 3 years later and doesn't limp or have any side effects it appears.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Why’s everybody always wanting to drag hogs off? I leave the sumbitches laying around all over the countryside. Just split the hide down their back and fold it open a little ways and the coyotes and other pigs will have them slicked down in no time.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I just got a kill permit invite for 30 deer from a Game Warden friend (other permits will follow shortly)... Dated yesterday thru Sept 28, 2022.

He and the landowner don't care about how or when (at night spotlighting... 22LR... any option)... or disposal (leave them lay... or harvest).

We will harvest as best we can.

So be it.

Whatever you do... or decide to do is between you... the hogs... and God.

Good luck...

FYI... I know nothing of hogs, but hear they are a real problem for some.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
As far as a 22 in the ribs not killing one of the big mean bulletproof pigs, a guy I worked for a a kid killed a giant boar with a single Golden Bullet. He saw the pig in his field and grabbed his 16” Rossi pump 22 out from behind the seat. He got to within about 75 yards before it winded him and took off. One shot, on the run, through the ribs and he folded like a lawn chair. Hired man said it was cause them Golden Bullets was hollow points.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A local guy that live maybe 5-10 miles from me has been trapping sounders the last 3 years with a Hawg Boss gate setup and a mobile pen. He said yesterday that their total is now around 600 pigs for the general area. It seems like he's putting a dent in them, as they aren't quite as prolific as they were in years past. I'm fortunate in that my property is near a large river bottom area that pulls the pigs off of me when acorns fall. As a result, I'm not generally as bothered by them during Nov/Dec when deer hunting. I still get roaming solo boars, but the big sounders are in the hardwoods until late winter. Now when the river jumps up in the spring, they are back on me.

I don't dislike hogs as much as I dislike the black bears. Hogs do consume a fair bit of the spring/summer groceries that the deer will miss out on, but the bears F-up everything they come in contact with.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
do they poison hogs in the US? Here in some states pigs outnumber people, literally. A lot get shot, some get trapped, but the vast majority are probably poisoned by landowners and parks authorities. Chemicals of choice are 1080 poison and well anything else a farmer cares to use. The herbicide gramoxone injected into a pigs carcass and left for other pigs to feed will knock them off. Having seen how poisoning kills, shooting is vastly more humane. But maybe an option if its legal where the OP is.

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 50 invisible), 2,493 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,668
Posts18,474,754
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.