Campfire Regular
H
No affiliation, just passing along. 4 new 30mm offerings from Tract:

https://tractoptics.com/riflescopes/toric-30mm-hunting-scopes

He went over yonder way
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They had trouble keeping what they previously made in stock. Maybe they will be able to keep these in stock.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I haven't seen, or heard of a piece of junk being offered under the Tract brand. I"m betting this will be a good one as well.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I wish they would make the 1" tube 2.5-10 with an illuminated center dot with and the T- Post reticle.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I haven't seen, or heard of a piece of junk being offered under the Tract brand. I"m betting this will be a good one as well.

Not trying to rain on the Tract parade as I like to see more and more reliable scopes enter the marketplace; stiff competition benefits the end user.

I thought the initial non Japan Tract offerings gave some grief?

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I think they covered the bases pretty well with these 4 offerings.

--FFP with MIL reticle and turrets, capped windage and zero stop elevation
--FFP MOA for the guys who don't do MIL.
--SFP with capped elevation and windage for the guys who don't want a big exposed elevation knob, plus a simple T-Plex reticle
--SFP with a BDC reticle for the guys who are really weird (sorry, had to! laugh)

They check a lot of boxes for the different crowds. My ONLY gripe is the weight. 28oz is tough for me to accept. I was just getting over the fact that I had to go to a 18-20oz scope to get reliable adjustments and RTZ....a full half-pound more than that? Not sure I can accept that just yet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Starbuck
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Not trying to rain on the Tract parade as I like to see more and more reliable scopes enter the marketplace; stiff competition benefits the end user.

I thought the initial non Japan Tract offerings gave some grief?

They foolishly sent a used example of one of their low-end models to a member here and it failed the test, which was admittedly harsh, but part of that failure was that it simply was unable to produce groups matching the test rifle’s know capability. Might have been beat up by previous testers, simply defective, or not a good design. Never heard a complaint from a real user on any of the Tekoa or Toric scopes, and some have used them a good bit; Mule Deer for one. My use is limited so far, but I remain hopeful, and trust them to fix any issues.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My heaviest is 25oz. I think that 20oz is about my limit on a light rifle to avoid the combo being top-heavy. Part of that is also the mounting height, with some pretty heavy 1-8s still able to be mounted low. High and heavy could futz up the balance. Still, one reason for paying the high ticket for nice light rifles is so a dependable scope won’t add too much to one’s burden.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I was pretty excited to see these. Them being specifically listed as a 30mm HUNTING scope had me excited about reticles they might offer. After seeing the reticle it's not for me. I don't need to hold 10 mils of windage on either side of the crosshair. I've no need for a hunting reticle with 20 mil spacing between the posts. Looks like it might make a decent target reticle. It would be helpful to buyers if Tract (all manufactures actually) would post the subtensions of reticles as well.

Any company making a FFP HUNTING reticle should look at what Tangent Theta has done. 3.5 mrad on each side of the crosshair and bold enough to see. It's the best hunting reticle out there right now.

Bad to go from excited to pissed off about a product. I really shouldn't care about it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
At that price point, it's an easy pass for me. At 1k+ I'd rather drop a bit more and get a NF or S&B

IC B3

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not what I was hoping for either.
I bet he’d sell way more scopes in $500 range that were little smaller lighter.
Give viper, vx3i or optika5 a little competition.
2-12x42 with 30 mm tube around That price point is wish list.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by FOsteology
At that price point, it's an easy pass for me. At 1k+ I'd rather drop a bit more and get a NF or S&B

I actually thought the price was pretty good. $984 for a 2.5-15x44 with capped windage, zero stopped/locking elevation looks pretty attractive to me.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Looking forward to seeing how the capped illuminated T-Plex stacks up to its competition in that price range. Hopefully, the illumination isn't too bright for low light.

”Those who would give up liberty for security, deserve neither.” Ben Franklin
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I will still give one a go. I completely agree with the reticle and it is a few ounces heavier than I would have asked for. I really like the other features and the power range. It won’t replace everything I use but I think it will work well for me on a medium weight sporter rifle.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Too heavy for me to be interested in a hunting rifle. Also, the elevation turret appears to be GINORMOUS. Reticle not appealing.
Several boxes checked, but big whiffs in some other aspects.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Heeler

You can get a similar Leupold 5HD for that price, are they really better?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tracts best offering's for a hunting scope is there 1" lines toric 3-15 tekoa 4-16

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Perfect for my new 44mag carbine.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Heeler

Apples and oranges here. But, I do have one of their new 1-8x24.
I am not much for tactical reticles. Though, I think I can live comfortably with this MILRAD version. The reticle is bold enough to see the aiming point very well in low light without illumination. The windage and elevation marks on this scope do not seem to distract me as clutter. Some of these type reticles, I do not care for.

The illumination intensity they got right for my eye. It goes low enough for low light use. The lowest setting is Very low, the mid to upper settings are certainly daylight visible. Though my interest was/is the lower settings in of lack of light conditions.

I preliminarily / non-expertly compared the optical view in lower light with an illuminated Swarovski 1-6x24 and a Leica Magnus 1-6.3x24. I liked it enough that I ordered another. I do not think that I will feel short-changed as to the optics for my hunting.

If they offered this scope with the T-Plex, illuminated or not it would be closer to my more traditional tastes. But, I have no issue putting this scope on an AR or a 416. The 4/3.9” eye relief I like, as well as the field of view.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Can't really bla.e them for the higher price point. But I too would buy a NF for that amount of money or a little more

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (35, 257 mag, badwolf, benchman, BDR1, 7 invisible), 1,441 guests, and 952 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,058
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.