Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Still using the same 7mm rem. magnum I bought in 1970 on it's 2nd barrel, yeah got a walker trigger in it too(the original). No problems, when you fail to kill with a 7mm rem mag it's user error not the cartridge .mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

No problems, when you fail to kill with a 7mm rem mag it's user error not the cartridge .mb

As with anything in the .06 class case up thru all the magnums

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Buy it and load it with 160 grain Nosler Partitions and go kill big game and that would be including elk.

Fact. I have almost always used a 160 Partition, at 3000 fps. It kills well at whatever range you can hit at. Years ago, I also used Barnes X on some animals that also died. I like my 7 mags, but they sit pretty much idle since I have several lesser cartridges and I mainly hunt deer, now.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by hotsoup
I remember an article I read in a gun rag, perhaps 30 years ago, written by Sam fadala. I believe the title was "the 3 kings". It made a case for the tree top, most popular cartridges for the common man. 270win, 30-06, and the 7mm rem mag. I think it might be true today. Of course ymmv.

The Camp Fire agrees... Most of the "Killed the most ..." polls that pop up, .30-06 and .270 Win are generally number one and two. 7RM is consistently in the top 5.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Very few animals that a 7RM and high quality 160 won't take care of.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It’s a faster 7mm-08.

No more.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Asking in the rifle loony section where seldom is heard a discouraging word, I wouldn't expect anything but a strong affirmation to buy. Being a card carrying analytical, I apply my three things rule to any prospective purchase. Do I want it? Do I need it? Can I afford it? If those all pass your individual sniff test then sure, go for it.

Since you asked however, here is my take on the 7mm RM. As a young guy with a new job and the intent to go out west elk hunting some day, I wanted a perfect one size fits all chambering that would do the job on our Wisconsin whitetails and the out west elk too. I'd borrowed a .30-30 and a .300 WM from a gun guy friend of my dad and killed some deer with them before I could afford my own rifle. It was one of those Goldilocks things for our deer here. One was too small and the other one was too large. A 7mm RM Remington 700 BDL was just right to my way of thinking. I killed a bunch of deer and some elk with it and modified it lighter. Then one cold opening morning I was sitting there in my heavy orange puffy when a nice shootable 8 pointer needed shooting. At the shot that magnum compressed my puffy and what stopped a lot of the recoil was my forehead. One and done was a good thing because there wouldn't have been a second shot for a time. As I sat there kind of dazed, I realized that I'd just had some sense knocked into me and that while I'd gotten the deer, I'd also just blown the hell out of whatever was behind the deer. Deer are only 12" wide and I sure didn't need a magnum anything. I built up a 7mm-08 after that and have lived happily ever after. That 7mm RM is in the back of the gun safe now and it hasn't been out hunting since. Thinking back on the elk I've shot, there isn't one of them that wouldn't have been on the meat pole if I'd have used that "tiny" 7mm-08 instead.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
I remember many...many years ago Jim Zumbo penned an remark in "Outdoor Life" magazine the 7 Mag killed like a 30-06. Just making that statement damn near broke my heart... always thinking the 7Mag was way more cartridge.

In one of the books he wrote concerning Elk hunting he loved the 7 mag and said it was better then his 30-06 he always carried. Go Figure

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
7 mm RM shoots a whole lot faster than a 7mm-08 and a whole lot flatter. I guess maybe the recoil could bother some, my wife shot hers till the end of her career. Made some great shots as it was a flat shooter and easy on recoil. It is my second favorite rifle for big game. The .270 next and .25-06 next. The old .30-06 fits in here some where. I used the 7mm08 over the years, but have never taken it when the chips were down.. Probably never would.

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
While I agree its a fine cartridge, around these parts it will sit on the used gun rack longer than most other rifles of different chamberings,, even pre 6.5 Creedmoor days.

The 2 or 3 shops I frequent quit ordering new 7 mags for stock 20+ years ago and they tend to low ball offers on trades for the 7.

Like I say it could be a regional thing too but 270, 30-06 and the various .30 magnums, even the UMs and 30-378 seem to sell much easier.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I was slow to buy one. I got a 264 Win Mag at Remington employee sales, the wait for a 7mm RM was a long one and the 264 wasn’t in much demand. I sold the 264 when I went back to school. The buyer gave me a down payment of $200 and then split.
I have now had a 700 BDL 7mm RM for quite a while. It has a beautiful stock, stainless steel coated barrel with a DuPont iron stuff and then blued. It is one of the most accurate rifles I’ve had. It shoots ABLR’s very well also.
I have a 77 tanger in 7mm RM also. I’ve gotten only one load to shoot into 1 MOA with that rifle, 2 MOA is average for it. The dang thing kicked like a mule until I re-stocked it with a B&C. Now it doesn’t kick bad, but I’m planning on re-barreling it. I think it will be a 257 Weatherby.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My second big game rifle purchase.
Pre Garcia Sako. Killed a cow elk, several deer.
Needed more, got a 300 Win.
And have bought a bunch of guns since, including a Tikka NIB, and
A lefty Ruger (I'm not lefty😁) in 7mm Rem.

Could have stopped with that Sako.

But it hasn't seen sunlight in over 20 years.
Looneyism. Always a "better" thing to play with.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

Originally Posted by pullit
I will get flamed for saying this, but I had a great 7mm mag that was accurate and sold it. I later got a 280AI and it is very accurate and I like it as well. (Here comes the flame part) If I had to do it all over again, I would just go with the 7mm Mag and call it done.
My 280 AI is pushing a 140 gr bullet at 3100 FPS and a 7 mag is a hair faster. Why not just get the 7 mag and not have to run as hard as you can with a 280 AI to try and catch it?
People don't like belted cases but they have never given me any problem reloading (maybe I have been lucky).

Exactly my experience. I built a 280AI on a tikka action and then picked up the same in 7mm mag. Less fuss to reload and run the 7mag with a touch more velocity.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I am a 280 Rem. fan. I have used it mostly on Pronghorn with Winchester 140 gr. Ballistic Silvertips @ 3,000fps.

However, when I go to Africa, I take my 7mmRM, with DoubleTap 175 gr. NP @ 2,900fps.

If my ammo doesn’t show up, 280 ammo is pretty much nonexistent, but 7mmRM is fairly common.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
While I agree its a fine cartridge, around these parts it will sit on the used gun rack longer than most other rifles of different chamberings,, even pre 6.5 Creedmoor days.

The 2 or 3 shops I frequent quit ordering new 7 mags for stock 20+ years ago and they tend to low ball offers on trades for the 7.

Like I say it could be a regional thing too but 270, 30-06 and the various .30 magnums, even the UMs and 30-378 seem to sell much easier.

I bought a used Rem 700 7mm Mag outside of a gun shop for $210.00 as the gun dealer did not want the gun in trade. I was also given the original box of ammo with just 4 rounds missing.

The gun shop had four Remington 7mags in stock and didn't want another.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
I got a 7mm RM about 35 years ago, a 77 Tanger, and put a 2 1/2 - 8 Vari X III on it. For several years, it was Pretty much the only rifle I used for deer hunting, first with NBT's, then, having to try something new, the original X-bullets. I could never get them to shoot well enough to please me, but they worked and I kept on killing deer with it, a lot of deer. Eventually, I got bored with it and bounce around now among eight or ten different calibers of rifles and handguns for hunting. My favorite for some time has been the 6.5X55 which seems to work just as well for my purposes with a whole lot less noise and confusion when the trigger breaks. I gave the 7mm RM to my son several years ago and he will probably never use another rifle for hunting deer or similar game.

Mathew 22: 37-39

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I guess I thought about it too many times and went with the 7mm Mag version. Now for scope and mounts

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Bought one years ago. Wanted it to build a 257 Wby on. Made the mistake of shooting the donor. Ragged holes with 140 Berger’s , 150 Nosler BT and 160 Nosler Accubonds. Decided to leave it alone and hunted it for the next 5-6 years. Deer, hogs coyotes and black bear fell to that rifle. Nothing wrong with the big 7. Would hunt the world over with that rifle.
GreggH

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I always keep a few 7 rem mags around. It's the round I recommend the most to newbies that say they are interested in long range. The just run well in Remington 700 style actions, most are twisted fast enough to run higher bc stuff, ammo is typically common, and recoil is light enough that most can handle one, and they fit a rem mag with room and feed well.

My old neighbor who hunts a bit but isn't really into it called a few years ago and said he wanted to have a rifle built. One good all around hunting rifle that he could learn to shoot longer but still hike around with and asked me to spec it out. I had him get a bighorn origin, a bartlien 8.5 twist 24" 2b, a micky stock, and trigger tech. I local Smith who does great work put it together and chambered it in 7 rem mag for him. He's really happy with it.

I've personally got more 280 AIs than 7 rems and also love 28 nosler but I always keep my old boat paddle 77mkii 7 rem and another faux Alaskan ti 7 rem I put together with Alaskan ti parts on a ss 700 action. Several others have come and gone.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 01/19/22.
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by pacecars
I guess I thought about it too many times and went with the 7mm Mag version. Now for scope and mounts

Pictures when you get it set up.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 160user, 1936M71, 1234, 56 invisible), 2,627 guests, and 1,368 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,696
Posts18,475,180
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.