Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Marley7x57
Bump it up the chain at Cannon - ask for VP for customer service. Don't stop after 1 bump either....

I'd go straight to the President of the company's secretary. There is no other person in the company that can get as much done in a short amount of time. I went that route in dealing with a boat manufacturer a number of years ago and was amazed at the turn around in the companies attitude in just hours.

Harry

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Cannon got their money. Lowes is who discounted it.

Good point.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm sure I have the same safe as you. I've had mine for several years. It has done the same thing to me at times. I just keep messing with it until it engages. It's the mechanical linkage inside that sucks. It's slips. If you can get it open tighten everything up inside. I did buy a big liberty safe a couple of years ago as my primary safe.. Ya it's a lot more ;money but worth it to me.
Thinking of selling the Cannon as I really don't have much in it now.
Good Luck.

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Mathsr
Bump it up the chain at Cannon - ask for VP for customer service. Don't stop after 1 bump either....

I'd go straight to the President of the company's secretary.

Huh?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I sent them a link to this thread and noted all the publicity they are recieving due to the run around they're giving the OP. And that their 'warranty' page is full of warm and fuzzies about taking care of the end user, yet when it is time to do that, they're utter crap.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My cannon acts similar or the same often. Electronic lock seems to be working fine but it seems like the internal unlocking/locking mechanism isn't engaging properly when I spin the handle. The handle will be just free spin. I've been locked out of it several times due to this. Eventually I figured out it would engage more consistently with a softer touch or easing into the spin to unlock. I have a good friend who has the same or very similar cannon and it has the exact same issue as mine.

BTW- mine is the cheapo depo version sold at the box stores. Got mine at Tractor Supply and wouldn't buy another in the future. I do have another cannon that I bought direct from them nearly 20 years ago. It's quite a bit smaller but cost me 3x the money back then than this problem safe did. I've never had an issue with it but it's locking system is different, appears and functions like it is of much higher quality.

Last edited by WL205; 01/20/22.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Anteloper
Drill a little hole in the top, fill it with water & lower a small amount of explosive into the center on a wire. When you blow the charge, the door will fly right off.

Saw Robert De Niro do it in a movie.

The good news about opening a safe like that is you won't have any guns in it to damage when the door opens.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you bought it at a chain store, it's a chink-cannon...no wonder

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Online, you might be able to find the corporate number of someone who might do something for you. It won't necessarily be on the website. Hope they take care of your problem at no further expense.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by VaHunter
I may be wrong but I think there is a shear pin on most safe wheels that is designed to shear if too much force is applied. That sounds like what is happening with this safe but you would think Cannon would have brought that issue up in your correspondence with them.

Like I said, I could be wrong.

This is most likely the issue. It is designed to break when someone tries to force it open. As someone mentioned a locksmith could be money well spent. Don't understand how Cannon can avoid the responsibility. As someone said go higher up the ladder or have Lowes contact them.
Rick

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I had the same thing happen with a Browning, handle just spun right after we got it home and loaded with guns. I had to have a locksmith get it open and it was the linkage/shear pin that was messed up. Fixed it and it's been fine for about 15 years now.

Keep calling Cannon until they agree to send someone out to fix it. My Cannon from TSC has been a great safe, so issues at all. Same with my Winchester from TSC Black Friday sale.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did it work in the store?

Originally Posted by gsganzer
Sounds like the shear bolt has been sheared.

Can you see if this happened?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
D
dod6 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Unsure of the actual locking mechanism, but the keypad is unbranded.

D
dod6 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Originally Posted by Cheesy
https://cannonsafe.com/warranty

I don't see anything in here saying "if you bought it cheap from a retailer we ain't gonna fix it"

That’s what I said just before requesting to speak with a warranty manager. I’ve been waiting three days now for them to call me. Apparently the warranty managers are so busy that they don’t have time to return a call about a warranty issue.

D
dod6 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
[quote=WL205]My cannon acts similar or the same often. Electronic lock seems to be working fine but it seems like the internal unlocking/locking mechanism isn't engaging properly when I spin the handle. The handle will be just free spin. I've been locked out of it several times due to this. Eventually I figured out it would engage more consistently with a softer touch or easing into the spin to unlock.

I will try to use a softer touch and ease into it. I’ve tried everything but a cutting torch so far.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Paul39
Have a locksmith check it out? Might be money well spent.
THAT!

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Cannon CS finally walked me through getting a10 year old safe open that I never used. It had a defective electronic dial which is common and they sent me a new one. I waiting on my locksmith buddy to install it. There are videos on YouTube to help troubleshoot.

FWIW, Lowe's sold my buddy a floor model fridge at a steep discount, he bought the extended warranty, about a year in the ice maker stopped working. He called the warranty company and they said the unit was 6 years old and wouldn't service it, Lowe's wouldn't refund the extended warranty money and they told him too bad on the 5 year old fridge they sold him, it was unused and sold as is. Buyer beware!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Rubber hammer?

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Should be a Allen head set screw on the bottom of the handle they loosen up and cause the handle to spin

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Originally Posted by Mathsr

I'd go straight to the President of the company's secretary.

Huh?

Secretaries, custodians, maintenance people is where the "get things done" often happens. I thought everyone knew that.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 01Foreman400, 52 invisible), 2,430 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,414
Posts18,489,049
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.