Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Intentionally gut shooting any animal is the mark of a perverted sadist.

Well, maybe with an RPG it's OK.... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hanco
[mThank you, had no clue they were that widespread, nasty bastards, Turkey vultures probably ain’t no better, but just don’t like the black ones.

The general consensus seems to be that Turkey vultures ain’t near the problem to livestock that black vultures are.

Here in San Antonio black vultures have become a big problem at the zoo, perching around the open enclosures in large numbers. No animal depredations I’m aware of, prob’ly taking feed and eating feces.

Recently they’ve spread north enough to turn up around my sister’s heritage breed sheep operation in NY State, I’ve warned her, prob’ly gonna take an incident before she takes me seriously.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Raferman
Only wish I could hear fire ants scream.

Me too

Yellow Jackets and Carpenter Bees...

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by ewc
Park Service has been doing that for years in the Smokey Mountains. Pay some kids just out of college to shoot them and leave them lay. Guns and nightvision legally in a federal Park? Hell yeah!!!
In March 2010 a Georgia game warden was accidently shot by being mistaken for a coyote. He was apparently prone and watching some hunters who were predator hunting using night vision or thermal imaging optics.

My neighbor mounted an ATN on his rifle and I could see hogs easily at 200+ yards but could not swear they were hogs. It had the side effect of messing up my night vision for several minutes. I stick with my motion detector light and bait and do not invite people of unknown ability to come shoot hogs.

I remember when that happened, only a few miles from the house.

We have some hogs in the 500lb range, bump into them a couple times a year. Can be a little unnerving with a turkey gun in your hand. Nothing I can load and really haul off, especially by myself, and I dont want them laying dead in my food plot during deer season while they rot away although I know coyotes can make quick work of smaller ones. I have certainly contemplated shooting the real big ones in the gut and letting them run off. It wouldnt bother me one bit. I saw the top of a big tree shaking about 75 yards inside the woodline one morning off a powerline, few minutes later a cowsize hog walked out. They have no place in nature.

Last edited by killerv; 01/20/22.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Now cats I can understand that….

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 158XTP
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
We BS on about correct shot placement and accountability for anything that comes out of a rifle barrel, but have no problem spraying a load of 00 buck at game or No.4 shot at birds.

We? You got a mouse in your pocket?

I only understand some of your posts dan and that includes back when you were still on accurate reloading.

Good memory? Haven't been on AR in over a decade, closer to to two actually.

0+0 = 0 That's what 00 Buck is good for. -Hint-
#4 shot? Goose is dead.

Perhaps your knowledge of shotguns/patterns is deficient?

#3 buck rocks
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Not gut shot.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by killerv
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by ewc
Park Service has been doing that for years in the Smokey Mountains. Pay some kids just out of college to shoot them and leave them lay. Guns and nightvision legally in a federal Park? Hell yeah!!!
In March 2010 a Georgia game warden was accidently shot by being mistaken for a coyote. He was apparently prone and watching some hunters who were predator hunting using night vision or thermal imaging optics.

My neighbor mounted an ATN on his rifle and I could see hogs easily at 200+ yards but could not swear they were hogs. It had the side effect of messing up my night vision for several minutes. I stick with my motion detector light and bait and do not invite people of unknown ability to come shoot hogs.

I remember when that happened, only a few miles from the house.

We have some hogs in the 500lb range, bump into them a couple times a year. Can be a little unnerving with a turkey gun in your hand. Nothing I can load and really haul off, especially by myself, and I dont want them laying dead in my food plot during deer season while they rot away although I know coyotes can make quick work of smaller ones. I have certainly contemplated shooting the real big ones in the gut and letting them run off. It wouldnt bother me one bit. I saw the top of a big tree shaking about 75 yards inside the woodline one morning off a powerline, few minutes later a cowsize hog walked out. They have no place in nature.

Gut shooting on purpose is sick. Period.

A turkey gun with a turkey load will stop a 500 pound pig easily.

Night. Day. Thermal. You still have to identify your target.

Only idiots would shoot at a shape.

I am down to thermal only for hogs. yeah it messes with your vision a bit. Nothing that I can't get used to. Many worse things in life than dealing with that, for all the positive trade offs thermal gives.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 450BM
Originally Posted by steveredd1
I have groups of guys down all the time to my land, rules, kill everyone you see, if you can't use it we will dig a big hole and cover it up when done

Everyone? Dang, wouldn’t want to be around there when they are hunting! lol Or did you mean every one? :-)

everyone means hogs, everyone one if those dam things

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have groups of guys down all the time to my land, rules, kill everyone you see, if you can't use it we will dig a big hole and cover it up when done

Everyone? Dang, wouldn’t want to be around there when they are hunting! lol Or did you mean every one? :-)

Why would you bury a dead hog?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I'd argue with this comment. Better be up close and personal and in the head. Not exactly where I want to be with a 500lb pig. Heck, I popped one in the ear with a 270 at 20yards, that was the maddest I've ever seen a boar hog. Still needed a follow up shot.

"A turkey gun with a turkey load will stop a 500 pound pig easily."

We've killed a handful with turkey loads in the 100-150lb range while chasing turkeys, we have found that if you pop one in the rib cage at 20yards or so, it will knock the air out of them and you can walk right up and finish them off. Easily on a 500lber, I doubt it.

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I will say, since our hogs moved in, the amount of rattlesnakes we see has decreased tremendously.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
[quote=stxhunter]Buzzards are on them in Burnet ten minutes after you shoot one. I’m talking hundreds of them. Rancher tries to calve about now, no black buzzards, a few Turkey bastards, that’s all.

How far north do buzzards go in the summer. Black buzzards didn’t show up until about ten years ago

Black vultures don’t move around much, they actually live in related social groups, they are heavier than turkey vultures and not as good at soaring without strong thermals. Given strong thermals they soar higher and faster than Turkey vultures. They are spreading north and increasing in many places, even in the South.

Right now they are found as far north as Southern NY/Southern New England and Southern PA across to S. Arkansas, SE Kansas and the Eastern 2/3,of Oklahoma and TX. Also parts of S.Arizona. Still absent from most of the West.

Turkey vultures, being lighter in weight with longer wings can get by in cooler climates, in summer they are found across N.America to S. Canada, retreat to a range much like that of black vulture in winter. Being more solitary and able to locate carrion by smell, they are better at surviving in desert areas where there are fewer animals per unit area to provide carrion.

Both species have benefitted enormously from the establishment of our road network.

Does Beaver have an award for Understatement of the Year? wink

I've seen 3-4 turkey vultures on one squashed Belding's ground squirrel on the roads around here. That's a lot of activity for a less than 1 lb critter dead on the road. But, no doubt it helps the vultures on their migration north in the spring. Last year with the drought, we had quite a few more hanging around all summer. Maybe they "knew" more critters were gonna die?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I will say, since our hogs moved in, the amount of rattlesnakes we see has decreased tremendously.

That's not a good trade off imo.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'd argue with this comment. Better be up close and personal and in the head. Not exactly where I want to be with a 500lb pig. Heck, I popped one in the ear with a 270 at 20yards, that was the maddest I've ever seen a boar hog. Still needed a follow up shot.

We've killed a handful with turkey loads in the 100-150lb range while chasing turkeys, we have found that if you pop one in the rib cage at 20yards or so, it will knock the air out of them and you can walk right up and finish them off. Easily on a 500lber, I doubt it.

I'll say it again. Easily. Up close it will kill. Of course some folks don't want to be close to pigs. I get it. I live with bears/moose etc... have been around pigs since little. A pig doesn't bother me any more than a bear would. No big deal really.

if a 270 in the head failed, then it was shot placement was way off, and or bullet choice sucked.

Whiled I've not shot a wild 500 pounder with a 22 I've shot quite a few between 250 and 275 ish and many less, with a sub sonic 22 in the brain. They flop.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Why would you bury a dead hog?

clean up

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

I Rath have the rattlesnakes than the hogs

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by rost495

I'll say it again. Easily. Up close it will kill. Of course some folks don't want to be close to pigs. I get it. I live with bears/moose etc... have been around pigs since little. A pig doesn't bother me any more than a bear would. No big deal really.

if a 270 in the head failed, then it was shot placement was way off, and or bullet choice sucked.

Whiled I've not shot a wild 500 pounder with a 22 I've shot quite a few between 250 and 275 ish and many less, with a sub sonic 22 in the brain. They flop.

a 270 at 20 yards in the ear, unless you were using blanks it should have gone down

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
It did go down, but it wasnt quick like a gut shot! I'm being facetious.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K

I agree

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

I agree

but hogs will put a hurting on rattlesnakes and cotton mouths, there not even shy about it, watched a hog walk right up to a cotton mouth and eat it

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (arky65, Aviator, afisher, 35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 9 invisible), 1,414 guests, and 751 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.