Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
budget - Burris RT-6
good - Burris XTR II 1-8
great - razor 1-6
price no object - razor 1-10, kahles 1-6, march 1-10...

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rockhound
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Recently threw together a new rifle. That will stay on the side by side with me. I'm looking at optics, I like the looks of some of the 1x. I would like something with quick target acquisition, but still he able to shoot small (rabbit size) targets out to 150 yds. Is that possible? I do not want open turrets. Is the vortex strike eagle 1-6 capable of 100 yard accuracy with the reticle it has? Or am I better suited with a 2-7?

Interesting question. I'm torn. I think an AR "deserves" a low power optic and I have a NIB 1.75-6X Leupold but I can see accuracy reduction with the 3-9X I currently have on it vs the 4.5-14X I used when working up loads. I like the practical application of the lower powered scope but as an accuracy guy it truly pains me to know my optics aren't up to the rifle's accuracy capability.

In your shoes, I would start with a higher powered scope and do some load workup / testing first, then see what the level of accuracy your gun has suggests about how much optics it can use.

Tom

That's exactly my situation. I'm terrified of losing accuracy with a low powered scope. At the same time, 99% of my shots are less than 100 yds.

Well, then, why not just spend the extra hundred bucks and buy the 1-8 Strike Eagle?

$399 at Optics Planet w/Free 2 Day Shipping (code 2DAYAIR).

https://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-opmod-strike-eagle-1-8x24-riflescope.html

Last edited by skeen; 01/19/22. Reason: Added Optics Planet link
T
TNRock Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Recently threw together a new rifle. That will stay on the side by side with me. I'm looking at optics, I like the looks of some of the 1x. I would like something with quick target acquisition, but still he able to shoot small (rabbit size) targets out to 150 yds. Is that possible? I do not want open turrets. Is the vortex strike eagle 1-6 capable of 100 yard accuracy with the reticle it has? Or am I better suited with a 2-7?

Interesting question. I'm torn. I think an AR "deserves" a low power optic and I have a NIB 1.75-6X Leupold but I can see accuracy reduction with the 3-9X I currently have on it vs the 4.5-14X I used when working up loads. I like the practical application of the lower powered scope but as an accuracy guy it truly pains me to know my optics aren't up to the rifle's accuracy capability.

In your shoes, I would start with a higher powered scope and do some load workup / testing first, then see what the level of accuracy your gun has suggests about how much optics it can use.

Tom

That's exactly my situation. I'm terrified of losing accuracy with a low powered scope. At the same time, 99% of my shots are less than 100 yds.

Well, then, why not just spend the extra hundred bucks and buy the 1-8 Strike Eagle?

$399 at Optics Planet w/Free 2 Day Shipping (code 2DAYAIR).

https://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-opmod-strike-eagle-1-8x24-riflescope.html

That's probably what I'm going to do! I've never owned anything with a reticle like that, so I wasn't sure about it. I sure wish they made them in something a little less busy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm plenty "accurate" out to 600 yards with my 1-4 Viper and the PST reticle is not busy at all. I do my load development with it on 4x at 100 yards and then shoot in competition with it's set between 2x and 4x depending on the distance.
It has an illuminated reticle, but I never ever turn it on. Ever.

Last edited by Triggernosis; 01/20/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another vote for the SWFA 1-6. I read good things about it here so when I saw one used for a good price I got it. I have been really impressed with its reticle,, how durable it is, the adjustments, etc.

Regarding the ability to group or work up loads with a low power scope, with 6X and an appropriate sized dot it has not been a problem for me and I have horrible vision.

This is sighting in with a 12.5 inch pistol and a 75 grain Hornady load and the SWFA scope it was previously cited in with a different powder

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Add me to the SWFA 1-6 cadre.

Having said that, I've been contemplating trying out the NX8 1-8 as I hear at 1x is almost the same as an Aimpoint.
Anyone out there running one?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

If it’s rifle for potential social duty, a good 1-4 LPVO with illumination is pretty awesome. Can’t speak to the 1-6 units but people say good things (about some of them).

I think a rabbit would be in big trouble at 150 with my particular 1-4 and the reticle it has! Maybe not for head shots, but as long as the mission was just to smoke the bunny... lol

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rickt300
I bought one of these and it has proven to be a tough useful scope that tracks well and hold zero. Not too expensive either.

https://www.natchezss.com/konus-kon...ope-engraved-ill-center-dot-reticle.html
I started out with one of those for shooting HP. I dumped it when the adjustments took a crap on me.

Probably fine if you set it & forget it, but I wouldn't trust it if I planned on twisting the knobs.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm really impressed with this little scope, Konus Pro 1.5-6x42mm fast target acquisition, hold zero and plenty good to 300 yards on coyotes.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Link
https://cameralandny.com/shop/brand...0137-51e0-00163ecd2826?variation=2061752

Last edited by erich; 01/21/22.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a Leupold 1.75-6x32 on my AR10.

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
One of my AR-15s has a March 1.5-15X42 in a 30mm tube with ED glass. It is a bit spendy, but it's an awesome low-magnification second focal plane scope.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I bet!

It’s a shame Zeiss discontinued the 1-4 V4 Conquest. Actually it’s a shame they are not still available at the disco’d price, haha.

I really like the true 1X setting. It takes some work, but a guy can then shoot with both eyes open and focused. It really ups the tactical awareness of what’s going on around the target.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Another reasonable priced option is the Swampfox Arrowhead. I like my 1-10 as a do it all scope. Good at 1x and can crank it up to shoot groups/tryout loads. Illuminated reticle as well.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I bet!

It’s a shame Zeiss discontinued the 1-4 V4 Conquest. Actually it’s a shame they are not still available at the disco’d price, haha.

I really like the true 1X setting. It takes some work, but a guy can then shoot with both eyes open and focused. It really ups the tactical awareness of what’s going on around the target.

Fwiw i shoot both eyes open and always have. Didnt know different LOL.
My right is super dominate though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hookeye

So do I.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Aimpoint.

There is aimpoint, and then theres everything else.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 01/21/22.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hookeye
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I bet!

I do too and also always have. What I never had in the past was an optically awesome, true 1x scope. With that I can shoot with, as I said, both eyes open and focused. Put another way, without my brain “turning off” my left, non-dominant eye.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I have very high end glass on some LR weapons... and real hunting weapons (Kahles, S&B, Kaps, Zeiss, Leupold et al)

Tried a few of the cheap ass KonusPros from Doug on some carbine stuff... damn impressive for the absurdly low price.

.375 and 458 SOCOM kill scopes (we have blown up $1800 Zeiss stuff... SOCOMs have a weird lateral shock wave or something)... but we can't blow up a Konus no matter what we do.

Glass is NOT $2k glass, but it has always been sufficient to my needs on ARs and KS-47s out to 400 yards.

Of course YMMV...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by erich
I'm really impressed with this little scope, Konus Pro 1.5-6x42mm fast target acquisition, hold zero and plenty good to 300 yards on coyotes.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Link
https://cameralandny.com/shop/brand...0137-51e0-00163ecd2826?variation=2061752

LOL... I hadn't seen you post when I put up mine.

Nice shooting...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

Last week i put a EOTECH HWS on an AR15. It took about 5 rounds to zero properly. I then shot 3 consecutive 1" to 1¼" groups at 100 yards. I was impressed. Wouldn't have been my first choice but this is what the guy had. Can't imagine anything easier to use

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1minute, 260madman, 1OntarioJim, 260Remguy, 264magnum, 270cowboy, 57 invisible), 2,407 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,428
Posts18,489,229
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.