Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Originally Posted by FTR_Shooter

But the NXS is cheaper than the March and it has no ED glass and only a 4X zoom and stops at 10X.

The NXS is just an example. The Atacr is a nicer model, but its prices are in line with March. I have a buddy that thinks the NXS is junk, because he's an Atacr snob. LOL

I've seen people like this. It's like the NXS is dust under their feet.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If Nightforce has the same reticle choices I would pick NF just because I would be dealing with an American company.

Back in the early 90's, I remember seeing ads for Lightforce scopes in Precision Shooting. Then it became Nightforce Scopes. I remember thinking what kid came up with those names? Back then the gossip was that the company was Australian, but was having scopes made under contract in Japan. (a business model that seems to be pretty popular these days with China manufacturing - Vortex, et al).

Despite my skepticism, Nightforce has flourished put out great offerings and at the very least are now "naturalized" American.

One day I will own a March scope. I've not spoken to a single owner that regretted their purchase (except for hiding the purchase price from the wife).

Last edited by ChrisF; 01/22/22.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ChrisF
Back in the early 90's, I remember seeing ads for Lightforce scopes in Precision Shooting. Then it became Nightforce Scopes. I remember thinking what kid came up with those names? Back then the gossip was that the company was Australian, but was having scopes made under contract in Japan. (a business model that seems to be pretty popular these days with China manufacturing - Vortex, et al).

Despite my skepticism, Nightforce has flourished put out great offerings and at the very least are now "naturalized" American.

Yes, they were originally sold in Australia under the name Lightforce. The Aussies used them for night time kangaroo hunting. When they came to the U.S. market, they originally retained the Lightforce name, then it was Lightforce USA and finally Nightforce. A local shop was one of the original U.S. dealers so I got to see a lot of them. The Lightforce fixed power 15-56 with the NP2RR reticle was very popular in my area with fox and coyote hunters.

Hakko had a scope that was externally identical to the original Lightforce scopes but were no where near the optical or tracking quality. A lot of those were sold through Autagua Arms in Alabama.

Benchrest competitor Turk Takano was primarily responsible for bringing the March scopes to life and into the U.S. through his connections in Japan, where he was a leading writer for Japan's biggest gun publication. He had relocated to Texas and worked with the principles that founded Deon Optics.

Just a brief overview.... -Al

Forbidden Zoner
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus

Benchrest competitor Turk Takano was primarily responsible for bringing the March scopes to life and into the U.S. through his connections in Japan, where he was a leading writer for Japan's biggest gun publication. He had relocated to Texas and worked with the principles that founded Deon Optics.

I thought it was quite well known in the benchrest community that it was Lou Murdica that was responsible for bringing March to America ????? I know he at least had something to do with the initial design.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The D24V42FIML with the FML reticle really caught my attention a while back. Not overly heavy and the reticle looks pretty good for hunting. I'd really like to give one a try.....I need to sell a few things and order one.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by boatanchor
I thought it was quite well known in the benchrest community that it was Lou Murdica that was responsible for bringing March to America ????? I know he at least had something to do with the initial design.

Mr. Murdica provided the significant funding needed for the project. At that level, there's no doubt he was involved with the project from a features stand point, as well. Butch Lambert has written here on the full history of the March scopes. A search will get you the results.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The name dropping is interesting, but do any of these guys hunt? I need a review from a hunter's perspective. I don't even know (nor care) what PRS is. I want to know if these things are durable and usable in the field. Things like eye relief and eye box, reticle nuances, drop test and shock durability, water/fog proof, resistance to temp extremes, dust and grit resistance, etc. All I can really find on these things are reviews from guys who seldom seem to leave the target range.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
A timely coincidence - this is on 6mmBR Daily Bulletin today

https://youtu.be/t9xy7qFoAjQ

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
3 minute video, a bunch of smart looking Japanese gentlemen, a bunch of target shooting aficionados, and not one second dedicated to hunter use. Man, I really wanted to like these things but I guess they just aren't intended for guys like me.

Last edited by SDHNTR; 01/22/22.
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I have one of the 2.5X25X42's. (I think 42?) Had it for around 8-10 years. Probably my favorite scope. Been to Africa a couple of times in the last 3 yrs. Something like 25 animals taken with it. Good clarity. Holds zero very well. Eyebox is a little tight at higher magnification. Sits on a 7 SAUM. Love the lighter weight. If you can afford it then go for it. Great all around scopes. Never had a problem with mine.
Bruce

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Gillettehunter
I have one of the 2.5X25X42's. (I think 42?) Had it for around 8-10 years. Probably my favorite scope. Been to Africa a couple of times in the last 3 yrs. Something like 25 animals taken with it. Good clarity. Holds zero very well. Eyebox is a little tight at higher magnification. Sits on a 7 SAUM. Love the lighter weight. If you can afford it then go for it. Great all around scopes. Never had a problem with mine.
Bruce

Now we're talking! Thanks. That's what I was looking for.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
The March 2.5-25X42 or 52 (there are two models) are awesome scopes; solid as all get out, light, and totally reliable. The FFP version is the 3-24X42 and 52. Same design, length, and weight, and longevity.

In that range, my current favorite is the March 1.5-15X42. It's 10 inches and 22 ounces, 2 inches shorter than the 2.5-25X42 and 3-8X42, but about an ounce or 2 heavier. That's because of the new design objective lens group. (There's some magic going on in there.) They all have ED glass, of course. They are March scopes.

Lou and Turk are definitely part of the March saga and are absolute characters. I always enjoy talking with them.

Last edited by FTR_Shooter; 01/22/22.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Now is it better, more reliable, durable, tracks better, etc than a Zeiss V6 or Swaro Z6 in 3-18X50, which weigh 23 and 20 oz, respectively? I'd rarely use mag above 18 anyways, so by comparison, that capability of the March is not relevant to me.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
LOL. I love it. I'm actually in one of the pictures in that video. It was taken at SHOT Show 2020.

Last edited by FTR_Shooter; 01/22/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
3 minute video, a bunch of smart looking Japanese gentlemen, a bunch of target shooting aficionados, and not one second dedicated to hunter use. Man, I really wanted to like these things but I guess they just aren't intended for guys like me.
What is your budget for a hunt?

If you are just out whacking a couple hogs or whitetails, I'd say these scopes are more than you need. But if you are doing a once-in-a-lifetime hunt, I'd seriously look at these. Or maybe just hope the guide has a gun you could borrow if your scope takes a dump.

There's no shame in having a realistic budget based on mitigating real risks. I don't put Marches on my whitetail rifles. But it usually costs me less than $100 for a day of hunting. (Food, travel, lodging, missed wages, tags, etc)

Politics is War by Other Means
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Budget is not a limiting factor. Weight, function, and reliability are what matter.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
J
JeffP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I can’t find March 1.5-15x42 mm normal turret MOA adjustment. Can it be ordered that way? Seems all the normal turrets are mil adjustments

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by JeffP
I can’t find March 1.5-15x42 mm normal turret MOA adjustment. Can it be ordered that way? Seems all the normal turrets are mil adjustments

I was an MOA guy until I tried a mil-mil scope, now I prefer mil

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
The name dropping is interesting, but do any of these guys hunt? I need a review from a hunter's perspective. I don't even know (nor care) what PRS is. I want to know if these things are durable and usable in the field. Things like eye relief and eye box, reticle nuances, drop test and shock durability, water/fog proof, resistance to temp extremes, dust and grit resistance, etc. All I can really find on these things are reviews from guys who seldom seem to leave the target range.

Buddy has a 2.5-25x42. He initially mounted it on his NULA 300WinMag, a bit under 8# all-up IIRC. I shot the rifle w/that scope atop shooting 210 ABLR projectiles @ 2950fps. Recoil was "stout". I shot it from 10x up to 25x, from 200yds out to 600yds. I had no trouble finding the image, nor "staying in the image" shooting prone out to 600yds. Nothing came close to touching my brow during recoil. I didn't actually measure eye-relief, but, whatever it is, it's "enough" on a lightweight w/significant and snappy recoil.

The scope now resides atop his 1:7 240Wby NULA and it's a hoot to shoot.

The only feature that might give me pause would be the limited mounting space, especially on a long action, it works on his 2 rifles, but, there's almost 0 room fore/aft to adjust eye relief. On a short action it would bother me less, and if you don't mind a rail, then it's a non-issue altogether.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (17CalFan, 1minute, 2500HD, 222ND, 1OntarioJim, 1936M71, 63 invisible), 2,242 guests, and 1,375 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,935
Posts18,479,992
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.