Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 18 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 17 18
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TheKid
Anybody used the 62gr SP Hornady that Midsouth has in stock right now? It looks like a slightly longer 55SP so I’m guessing they’re good to go but I’d hate to spring for 500 and find out they suck.

Kid,
Is that the same 62 SP in the Hornady Frontier .223 & 5.56?

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
GB1

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don’t know. I had no idea until I stumbled upon them today that Hornady made a 62 other than the FMJ.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
For any who've tried them, would the Speer 55gr. Gold Dots be any advantage over the Hornady 55gr. SP in a 1-12 bolt gun?

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Hi Digital Dan,

Not an elephant but Bella Twin took a big grizzly bear in 1953 with a .22 Long shooting Whiz-bang brand ammo so it should count. See this website for the story- https://www.ammoland.com/2017/06/be...d-record-grizzly-and-more/#axzz7IpiwroKZ

I knew an old cowboy who lived south of Rawlins, WY when I was a kid who kept himself in "government beef" (aka elk) with a single shot .22 long rifle. I guess he preferred a more powerful gun. I have read that the Inuit use .17 HMRs to kill bull walrus that weigh 3500 pounds on the flipper. My deceased hunting buddy used his M-16 to kill an Asian water buffalo that had been crippled by artillery fire. Gary was the only farm boy in the patrol that knew where to place the 55 grain bullet to put the critter out of it's misery. The others that had tried hit the horn bosses with little effect. His old friend gave him a beat up old .25-20 Marlin that had been used to kill "truck loads" of deer back in SD. It was the farm's "Big Gun".
Plus I have seen the photos of the skulls of pigs you have taken with your .22 CBs.

I think it was the malignant troll from POW that posted "If you can shoot everything works an if you can't nothing does." I can't argue with that. I guess if I was smart I would go list all of my big guns on Gunbroker right now before everybody comes to that conclusion!

Not big game, but my last coyote of the fur season - 40 grain Vmax from a .223.

Attached Images
coyote.JPG (16.32 KB, 379 downloads)
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by aboltfan
For any who've tried them, would the Speer 55gr. Gold Dots be any advantage over the Hornady 55gr. SP in a 1-12 bolt gun?

I've only used the 62 and 75 gold dot and they dug a little deeper than the hornady but that's to be expected. Not really any more damage though, at least with the 62s.

I bet with the 55s it wouldn't be much difference between the two. The Speers open really wide and that limits penetration I think

IC B2

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Went to feed cows this evening and added a data point.

Caught this big rooter sneaking out of a brushy draw into the milo stubble and gave him a couple 55 Hornady BTHPs. First one hit him square on the shoulder broadside. Second was back in the guts when he ran. Third one missed and the fourth landed in the hindquarter.

First round wrecked the entire shoulder, vaporized the scapula and had a 2 1/2” hole behind it. The one in the guts went in and was lost, no exit. The one through the hams left a 1/2” hole through both hams and exited. All of this to more or less confirm my suspicions based on a few samples in the past that shows them to be erratic. I have a bunch of them and they shoot great but from here on I think I’ll stick to SPs or tipped bullets when buying Hornady.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
.223 Rem 53 gr Barnes TSX

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Caught this big rooter sneaking out of a brushy draw into the milo stubble and gave him a couple 55 Hornady BTHPs. First one hit him square on the shoulder broadside. Second was back in the guts when he ran. Third one missed and the fourth landed in the hindquarter.

First round wrecked the entire shoulder, vaporized the scapula and had a 2 1/2” hole behind it. The one in the guts went in and was lost, no exit. The one through the hams left a 1/2” hole through both hams and exited. All of this to more or less confirm my suspicions based on a few samples in the past that shows them to be erratic. I have a bunch of them and they shoot great but from here on I think I’ll stick to SPs or tipped bullets when buying Hornady.

Nice work. Seems like the 62’s you mentioned might be about perfect for a plain Jane SP.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by pacecars

Nice buck! Looks like it wrecked him.

Semper Fi
T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by beretzs

Nice work. Seems like the 62’s you mentioned might be about perfect for a plain Jane SP.

I think I’m going to order some to find out. Wish I could get less than 500 at a whack but they’ll get used.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Im going to give 55 SXs a try on hogs in March. Operating under the assumption a brain shot should explode the bullet and electrocute the hog.Basic 55 SP kills them really dead with a brain shot, but I want them more deader...and its your fault. The .17 does that-electrocutes them- so now Im working on getting a .22 CF to do it with frangible bullets.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I think I’m going to order some to find out. Wish I could get less than 500 at a whack but they’ll get used.

I’ve got about a 1000 of the 62 grain bonded bullets I got from Rocky Mountain Reloading years ago. I think they’re Fusions? I just loaded 400 of them for my brother and figured they’re a decent do anything sorta bullet as well. They weren’t TMK accurate but they were still good. I didn’t spend a bunch of time messing with loads though either.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D

I’ve got about a 1000 of the 62 grain bonded bullets I got from Rocky Mountain Reloading years ago. I think they’re Fusions? I just loaded 400 of them for my brother and figured they’re a decent do anything sorta bullet as well. They weren’t TMK accurate but they were still good. I didn’t spend a bunch of time messing with loads though either.

That's where I got mine. They kill well in a 223 and are even more impressive in the 22-250 AI

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I tried the other day to get one into the jugs. Blasted thru 3 and bounced hard off 4. The 77 TMK Destroys 2 jugs but doesn’t scratch the 3rd for comparison.

Semper Fi
T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by ingwe

Im going to give 55 SXs a try on hogs in March. Operating under the assumption a brain shot should explode the bullet and electrocute the hog.Basic 55 SP kills them really dead with a brain shot, but I want them more deader...and its your fault. The .17 does that-electrocutes them- so now Im working on getting a .22 CF to do it with frangible bullets.

I shot a couple with 50 SXs a couple weeks ago. The one little one I headshot and it was literally missing everything above the eyeballs! I didn’t go anywhere

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by pacecars

Nice buck! Looks like it wrecked him.

He went about 10 yds with no heart

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Looks about perfect. Can’t ask for more.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I tried the other day to get one into the jugs. Blasted thru 3 and bounced hard off 4. The 77 TMK Destroys 2 jugs but doesn’t scratch the 3rd for comparison.

I caught one in the 3rd jug at 100 yards from my 22-250 ai. It smacked the 4th hard enough to crack it but the expanded bullet couldn't get out of the 3rd. I imagine the 223 may penetrate deeper due to less dramatic expansion

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yeah maybe that’s why mine came out if the 3rd.

Good bullet. Wished I had more. I’d spend more time making a better load.

Semper Fi
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

I shot a couple with 50 SXs a couple weeks ago. The one little one I headshot and it was literally missing everything above the eyeballs! I didn’t go anywhere

Pretty much what I figured...I'll post results when I get them....thanks!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 10 of 18 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (160user, 21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 2,597 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,090
Posts18,482,949
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.