Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Coues deer and a March scope does seem like a perfect match.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
The name dropping is interesting, but do any of these guys hunt? I need a review from a hunter's perspective. I don't even know (nor care) what PRS is. I want to know if these things are durable and usable in the field. Things like eye relief and eye box, reticle nuances, drop test and shock durability, water/fog proof, resistance to temp extremes, dust and grit resistance, etc. All I can really find on these things are reviews from guys who seldom seem to leave the target range.

I have killed a dozen or so elk, bears, coues... using March scoped rifles. I have been the spotter on 50+ more. Most were with a 5-50 x56 model. Ranges from 200 to 1100 yards. Most on a 7 RUM but quite a few on 708, 270 WSM, 6.5 Cm, and a few others. All 2nd focal plane. Never have seen an issue. None returned for warranty. Formy is the only one I've heard talk smack about them. They apparently don't work on military rifles, only civilian...

Good info. Thanks. But please tell me how you use 50x? Do you use the reticle? At 50x? Wow, isn’t that fov measured in inches, not feet?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Also, what’s the best dealer to buy one of these through with a flexible return policy? I’d like to try one out with the ability to return one if I dislike it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
And last question… does anyone make yardage turrets for these? No comments wise guys, it’s how I like to twist. I don’t change loads and I usually have multiple turrets for atmospherics.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
The name dropping is interesting, but do any of these guys hunt? I need a review from a hunter's perspective. I don't even know (nor care) what PRS is. I want to know if these things are durable and usable in the field. Things like eye relief and eye box, reticle nuances, drop test and shock durability, water/fog proof, resistance to temp extremes, dust and grit resistance, etc. All I can really find on these things are reviews from guys who seldom seem to leave the target range.

I have killed a dozen or so elk, bears, coues... using March scoped rifles. I have been the spotter on 50+ more. Most were with a 5-50 x56 model. Ranges from 200 to 1100 yards. Most on a 7 RUM but quite a few on 708, 270 WSM, 6.5 Cm, and a few others. All 2nd focal plane. Never have seen an issue. None returned for warranty. Formy is the only one I've heard talk smack about them. They apparently don't work on military rifles, only civilian...

Good info. Thanks. But please tell me how you use 50x? Do you use the reticle? At 50x? Wow, isn’t that fov measured in inches, not feet?

Use the power that you want, it's not mandatory to use 50X

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by jwp475

Isn’t the reticle subtended at max? He said SFP.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Isn’t the reticle subtended at max? He said SFP.

I doubt that it's correct at 50 power that wouldn't make any sense.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My thought exactly.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

What smack are you referring to, specifically?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Forms also claimed that he'd rather trust his life to a Bushnell than a S&B. I posted that on Snipers hide and they laughed. Especially Lowlight owner and former Marine Corp Sniper.

From what I’ve seen, Form’s tests of scope durability and mechanical function are more demanding than Frank’s, and more likely to separate the wheat from the chaff. The boys on SH laughing doesn’t mean much. There are Bushnells and then there are Bushnells. The Elite Tactical line has some models that have been pretty bulletproof IME and observation. The DMRII Pro is not your grandpa’s Banner, for example. That’s not to say anything about S&B, but comparing the mechanical durability between the PMII and the DMRII Pro or LRTS deserves more than a laugh.

IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

PMll is what we were talking about

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

PMll is what we were talking about

I assumed so, which is why I referenced it in my post.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My Elite tactical I n 4.5-30 is my favorite scope. No argument here.

At what point do you quit beating a scope up and consider it good enough. In real life, nobody will drive nails with a scope. That's just stupid. If they can handle the normal falls Dina and dunking they are good. I would rather it excells in useful categories than double as a leather working maul. I have broken a lot of scopes. I've dragged the March scopes through some nasty stuff. They're all still working great,

Never shot an animal with 50 power. Played with it a little at the range. Pretty dang awesome

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
At what point do you quit beating a scope up and consider it good enough. In real life, nobody will drive nails with a scope….

I have broken a lot of scopes.

That is why it’s useful for scopes to be stress-tested beyond what they are expected to experience in the field; to find out at what point they fail, and hopefully that point is well past your expected use. You may not be driving any nails with your scope, but in the odd event that you slip in an icy creek bed and tomahawk your rifle into the rocks, your scope may just take it without a bobble.

Similarly, I like to know that my bolt actions have a failure point north of 100k psi, so that when I’m loading to 60k psi I can do so with peace of mind.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by dave7mm
How far are you planning on shooting?

How much internal travel does a S&B 3-12x42 Klassic have?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by dave7mm
How far are you planning on shooting?

How much internal travel does a S&B 3-12x42 Klassic have?

Not exactly sure (40 MOA total I think) but they are limited....20 MOA rail would put some strain on the erector spring for a 100 yd zero. Jerry from S&B suggested a 0 or 10 MOA rail for use with the 3-12-42 Klassik.

Last edited by 300MAG; 01/24/22.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
108cm at 100 meters I believe. One can get a 20 MOA base if more is needed.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by JeffP
I can’t find March 1.5-15x42 mm normal turret MOA adjustment. Can it be ordered that way? Seems all the normal turrets are mil adjustments

That is correct. The MOA version of that riflescope only comes with "tactical" knobs, in other words, non-capped. My March 1.5-15X42 is an MOA version with the MTR-5 reticle, the same one as on my 5-50X56 and 10-60X56HM. The knobs are excellent. They do not move inadvertently; you have to want to turn them. This doesn't mean they are hard to turn. It's difficult to explain, but when you try them to understand. I have that scope on my beater AR-15 and the knobs don't move. As insurance, I have set up the zero stop to be at the setting for 100 yards. So, if ever I think the elevation knob moved, it could only move one way and I can crank it back down to be sure. I also have the big 0 set on the witness line. For the windage, I make sure the big 0 is set properly, (easy to do) and a visual check will reveal if it moved, and I can put it back.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
The reticles in the 5-50X56 (my first March scope and I still have it 8 years on), the 8-80X56 and the 10-60X56HM are set for 10X. This then works for 20X, and 40X. The March website has a full description of the reticles.

Here is the link to the SFp reticles. https://marchscopes.com/second-focal-plane-reticles/

Click on any of them for the full details.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 160user, 257bobber, 222Sako, 63 invisible), 2,297 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,136
Posts18,483,995
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.