Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Marley7x57
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Thank you for posting that S&B chart, I can never find it when I'm searching for it!

I really like Klassic for 'set & forget', but I can't use these on several older rifles that require more windage adjustment to zero. That's not the fault of the scope, but it is limiting for me....

GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Well, I was not trying for a general fact-free statement but it appears I was amiss in saying what was said!

I have had limited opportunity to get my hands on March scopes. I like the quality of them however, they ones I had seen were more of a target style/type scope. What I do see now is that the low power scopes have a small front objective which is not good for early and late time hunting and the higher power scopes are, well pretty darn high. So, 3-24x42, 4.5-28x52, 5-40x56, 4-40x52, and 6-60x56. All the reticles seem pretty busy as well. I have not seen much use for anything near a 24 power scope and certainly nothing higher, in my hunting situations. Not saying they will not work but, it seems like a 4-12x42 is a better choice or a 4-16x50 for my hunting which is shooting at distances than 400 yards. Even my varmint shooting is at distances less than 400. So generally, for me - get a Schmidt and Bender or a Swarovski with a simple reticle. Unless you're shooting a long ways off....but even then I would probably look at Schmidt & Bender PMII.

I do believe that March scopes are of excellent quality, just nothing fitting my needs at this time and that is the only reason I do not own one.

Thank you for a great answer with lots of details about your impressions.

You are correct in that March scopes started in the competition arena and later on got into the hunting world. In competition, you rely on the fact your riflescope will retain its zero through hundreds and thousands of rounds. You depend on proper tracking and return to zero. This has to be utterly reliable. It is my belief that I go through far more rounds on target with my competition rifle than any hunter I have ever heard of. Let's just take my F-TR match rifle. I have had it for 10 years now. It started with an NF NXS- 10-42X56 and then I upgraded to a March-X 5-50X56 a year or so later. The NXS was simply too dark for me in the early morning competitions in wintertime. I am now on my 5th barrel, something I change every 5000 rounds without fail. That's almost 25,000 rounds through that rifle in 10 years. The first 20k or so rounds were with the 5-50X56. Never a failure. To me, the internals and the tracking of a March are utterly dependable. They have to be as I dial a lot according to conditions and have to be able to come back to my "no wind zero" setting at the next match. That's what a tradition of competition brings.

Next, you mention the size of the objective on the LPVOs. Here you are showing some ignorance of optics, but please don't take that as an insult. A lot of people are unaware that a 1X scope cannot have a larger objective; it's the nature of the beast. You have to tailor all the components together to produce the desired result. In this case, the LPVO (Low Power Variable Optic) is designed to give a true 1X at the bottom end. If you look at the specifications for the March 1-4.5X24, for example, you will see that the exit pupil is 16mm at 1X. Why not 24mm you say, because optics. I would think a fixed 1X24 scope could have an exit pupil of 24mm, but when you have a zoom, that changes. However, the 16mm is more than twice as much as the human eye can use, so that makes it very easy to get behind that scope. Yes, at 4.5X, the exit pupil is indeed 5.33mm (24/4.5). That will be the same for the other LPVOs; the 1X exit pupil will never be 24mm, but it will be far larger than human eye can use and the top end will be (obj-diameter/magnification).

But you don't want to hunt with an LPVO, and I get that. That's why there is a 2.5-25X42 or 52 and now the 1.5-15X42. That latest one has a new design for the objective lens which allows it to have a 42mm objective with a 1.5X scope. I am not aware of any other scope that is a 1.5X with a 42mm objective. This is a feat of optical engineering. and it allows the higher magnification to have a larger exit pupil compared to the LPVOs. It's certainly larger than the 3-9X32 at equivalent magnifications.

The scopes that you listed, 3-24X42, 4.5-28X52 and so on, are all FFP and they do come with Christmas tree-style reticles. But there are other reticles available for them. As an example, the 4.5-28X52 is also available with the FML-LDK and FML-3 reticles. Very clean and non-busy reticles. The 5-40X56 only just got the FML-PDKI reticle. The other reticles available for it are non-Christmas tree design. The 3-24X42/52 has 6 reticles available for it, only 2 are Christmas-tree designs.

It is entirely possible that the few March scopes you have seen in real life would have the busy reticle as they are popular with the FFP models you listed. The 6-60X56 you mentioned is the Genesis model and it only comes with 2 reticles, one MIL and on MOA of the same Christmas tree design. This scope is not a hunting scope, it is the ultimate ELR scope, you know, the scopes for King Of @ miles and so on. Very expensive, BTW.

Your quest for a 4-12X42 would be fulfilled with a 1.5-15X42 or a 2.5-25X42. For the 4-16X50, you could have the 2.5-25X52. You don't have to dial up to the maximum if you don't want to. It's there if you need it.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by FTR_Shooter

A lot of people are unaware that a 1X scope cannot have a larger objective; it's the nature of the beast. You have to tailor all the components together to produce the desired result. In this case, the LPVO (Low Power Variable Optic) is designed to give a true 1X at the bottom end. If you look at the specifications for the March 1-4.5X24, for example, you will see that the exit pupil is 16mm at 1X. Why not 24mm you say, because optics. I would think a fixed 1X24 scope could have an exit pupil of 24mm, but when you have a zoom, that changes. However, the 16mm is more than twice as much as the human eye can use, so that makes it very easy to get behind that scope. Yes, at 4.5X, the exit pupil is indeed 5.33mm (24/4.5). That will be the same for the other LPVOs; the 1X exit pupil will never be 24mm, but it will be far larger than human eye can use and the top end will be (obj-diameter/magnification).

Always learning at my advanced age! Thanks for posting that.

My problem with the very high magnification scopes, for my type of hunting, is that there will always be an "ol [bleep]" moment (or two) that arises when you bring the rifle up to shoot and, yes, the scope was left on high power and now you can't see what you want to shoot. Or you can see the ticks on that critter you want to shoot.

I see some March scopes in my future (probably the 1.5-15x42 - for Varmints!). Price does not bother me as, in Optics, you generally get what you pay for. And good [bleep] lasts a loooong time.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

A lot of people are unaware that a 1X scope cannot have a larger objective; it's the nature of the beast. You have to tailor all the components together to produce the desired result. In this case, the LPVO (Low Power Variable Optic) is designed to give a true 1X at the bottom end. If you look at the specifications for the March 1-4.5X24, for example, you will see that the exit pupil is 16mm at 1X. Why not 24mm you say, because optics. I would think a fixed 1X24 scope could have an exit pupil of 24mm, but when you have a zoom, that changes. However, the 16mm is more than twice as much as the human eye can use, so that makes it very easy to get behind that scope. Yes, at 4.5X, the exit pupil is indeed 5.33mm (24/4.5). That will be the same for the other LPVOs; the 1X exit pupil will never be 24mm, but it will be far larger than human eye can use and the top end will be (obj-diameter/magnification).

Always learning at my advanced age! Thanks for posting that.

My problem with the very high magnification scopes, for my type of hunting, is that there will always be an "ol [bleep]" moment (or two) that arises when you bring the rifle up to shoot and, yes, the scope was left on high power and now you can't see what you want to shoot. Or you can see the ticks on that critter you want to shoot.

I see some March scopes in my future (probably the 1.5-15x42 - for Varmints!). Price does not bother me as, in Optics, you generally get what you pay for. And good [bleep] lasts a loooong time.

You had better watch yourself, buddy boy, you're quickly becoming someone whose opinion I respect.

I totally get the "booze-dance-dance" moment that would ensue from leaving you variable scope at a higher-than-expected magnification, in a sudden, unexpected encounter. During the rare time when I hunt, I'm always checking that my scope is set at a low magnification for just those moments. On the March scopes, you can mount a fast lever made of polymer to quickly and easily actuate the zoom. A side benefit of that lever is that you can tell which magnification is on the scope just by looking where that lever is located and you can lower the magnification by just pushing the lever to the left until it stops. Little tricks, big benefits.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
FTRShooter, by chance could you answer my question about best US dealer with a good return policy? I'd like to try one but there is no dealer near me. I'd like to be able to return the thing if I don't like it. Also, do you know if a custom yardage turret is available?

IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
FTRShooter, by chance could you answer my question about best US dealer with a good return policy? I'd like to try one but there is no dealer near me. I'd like to be able to return the thing if I don't like it. Also, do you know if a custom yardage turret is available?

The March scopes are usually made to order but some dealers carry some stock for the most popular scopes with the most popular options. You should visit the March website to consult the list of dealers. I have suggested Don @ longrangesupply.com. You might want to talk with him. Another place is Eurooptic.com. They sometimes have some stock. I have no clue on return policies.

I am not aware of any custom yardage turrets. The only times, I have ever seen that request was always from an airgunner. March makes a large side focus wheel just for that, and it comes with a strip on which you can write the yardage. Since the scopes these airgunners use are the high magnification SFPs and they all dial down to 10 yards, you can see where they can have 10 yards, 11 yards, etc., and why they need it.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
SDHNTR, your best bet to see a March scope in person is probably the SHOT show or the Wanemacher Tulsa Gun Show.

here is a link to dealers of March scopes in North America:

https://marchscopes.com/america/

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
SDHNTR, your best bet to see a March scope in person is probably the SHOT show or the Wanemacher Tulsa Gun Show.

here is a link to dealers of March scopes in North America:

https://marchscopes.com/america/

Yes, I already looked at that. No dealers near me and travelling to the shot show is not going to happen. What I need is a dealer with a user friendly return policy. Will EuroOptic allow returns of boxes that have been opened? Or someone else? Out of several dozen, I've never once returned a scope before!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
So I’m confused by the retailers who say March Scopes are backordered. Is that just their normal order process and a misnomer? So you put one in your cart and buy it and is that what starts the order process? So I have to front $2500? What’s the lead time? Or are you really waiting until one come back in stock before shipping like a traditional backorder? In which case, like some SWFA models on perpetual backorder, I could be waiting forever?

Last edited by SDHNTR; 01/25/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just looked at the 1.5-15 it looks very cool. Problem is euro optic has them for about 2500. I can’t see myself spending that. Yeah it’s a bit lighter and more trim than a nxs but for the extra grand what else am I getting. Maybe better glass, But the latest nxs glass is plenty good enough for me. Trim ness and about 6 ounces is all I see I am getting, while paying a lot more,

For a hunting scope a Zeiss v4 demo at 800 is even more sense. I can buy 3 of them. The competition models I get it. Those have a huge power range and for a competition rifle might as well spare nothing. Not hating Would love to try a 1.5-15. But not for that kind of money.

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
So I’m confused by the retailers who say March Scopes are backordered. Is that just their normal order process and a misnomer? So you put one in your cart and buy it and is that what starts the order process? What’s the lead time? Or are you really waiting until one come back in stock before shipping like a traditional backorder? In which case, like some SWFA models on perpetual backorder, I could be waiting forever?

I'm really in the dark about what goes on at various retailers. I would suggest you call them directly and talk to someone at the retailer you select. I have had a number of people tell me they ordered through Don @ longrangesupply.com and they were totally satisfied with the process as Don explained everything and kept them up to date throughout. I have also had people tell me they bought through Eurooptics and they were also very happy.

I do know that March scopes are in high demand for such a small company. They build the riflescopes by hand, on order. The lead time is 2 months for delivery once they get the order. That's at their website.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Just looked at the 1.5-15 it looks very cool. Problem is euro optic has them for about 2500. I can’t see myself spending that. Yeah it’s a bit lighter and more trim than a nxs but for the extra grand what else am I getting. Maybe better glass, But the latest nxs glass is plenty good enough for me. Trim ness and about 6 ounces is all I see I am getting, while paying a lot more,

For a hunting scope a Zeiss v4 demo at 800 is even more sense. I can buy 3 of them. The competition models I get it. Those have a huge power range and for a competition rifle might as well spare nothing. Not hating Would love to try a 1.5-15. But not for that kind of money.

CC, completely get what you are saying, and it makes perfect sense. March scopes are not for everybody. Yes, they are spendy and yes, you can get along just fine with a much cheaper riflescope that will do essentially the same things. You can see the same basic idea with cars, for example. You can get along just fine with a car that is MUCH cheaper than say a Ferrari, but some people want the Ferrari and can afford it.

And you are very right when you discuss competition, especially at the higher end. People will spend the money to get the very best. For hunting, and general target shooting, your point of view is dead on. But even then, some people want the best and can afford it. The OP wanted to know about March scopes and I hope he got the information he wanted. March scopes are not for everyone, but if you want utter dependability and longevity with awesome glass and features, they are the ticket.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
So I’m confused by the retailers who say March Scopes are backordered. Is that just their normal order process and a misnomer? So you put one in your cart and buy it and is that what starts the order process? What’s the lead time? Or are you really waiting until one come back in stock before shipping like a traditional backorder? In which case, like some SWFA models on perpetual backorder, I could be waiting forever?

I'm really in the dark about what goes on at various retailers. I would suggest you call them directly and talk to someone at the retailer you select. I have had a number of people tell me they ordered through Don @ longrangesupply.com and they were totally satisfied with the process as Don explained everything and kept them up to date throughout. I have also had people tell me they bought through Eurooptics and they were also very happy.

I do know that March scopes are in high demand for such a small company. They build the riflescopes by hand, on order. The lead time is 2 months for delivery once they get the order. That's at their website.

OK. So the "backorder" is really not a "backorder"? It's really the first stages of the order process? Do I have to pay 100% up front, or put down a deposit like most other things that are "built to order"? Pardon all the questions, it's really just so different from what I'm used to and doesn't instill confidence. When I want a Swaro, or Zeiss or Nightforce, I don't have to kiss $2500 away for months. Does this mean the business is not well capitalized enough to last? Is it a red flag, or an intentional business strategy? I sent Don at long range supply an email last night with these questions. I'll respond back once I hear some answers.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

OK. So the "backorder" is really not a "backorder"? It's really the first stages of the order process? Do I have to pay 100% up front, or put down a deposit like most other things that are "built to order"? Pardon all the questions, it's really just so different from what I'm used to and doesn't instill confidence. When I want a Swaro, or Zeiss or Nightforce, I don't have to kiss $2500 away for months. Does this mean the business is not well capitalized enough to last? Is it a red flag, or an intentional business strategy? I sent Don at long range supply an email last night with these questions. I'll respond back once I hear some answers.

Go to Euro Optic. They have some March Scopes in stock.
Seems like you really want S&B if you hunt. They used to have a 4-16x50 Precision Hunter which allowed dialing.
Even long range 16x should be more than enough.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by mrmarklin

Go to Euro Optic. They have some March Scopes in stock.
Seems like you really want S&B if you hunt. They used to have a 4-16x50 Precision Hunter which allowed dialing.
Even long range 16x should be more than enough.

If they made a 4-16x50 Precision Hunter in SFP/MOA, I'd buy one.

Last edited by SDHNTR; 01/25/22.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I was once a MOA, now I prefer Mill Mill

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwp475

I think most of us MRAD guys were at one time MOA guys.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by jwp475

I think most of us MRAD guys were at one time MOA guys.

I'm not fully evolved. I'll readily admit. I like dummy proof. I like yardage turrets actually.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MRAD is much more dummy-proof than MOA. You could always get MRAD turrets/reticle and use yardage tape.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

If they made a 4-16x50 Precision Hunter in SFP/MOA, I'd buy one.

I get the impression you do not like FFP. Is that right?

I used to wonder about them and, after using them, came to prefer them over SFP.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (16penny, 007FJ, 1936M71, 160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 61 invisible), 2,384 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,144
Posts18,484,119
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.