Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by akasparky
Originally Posted by JeffA
Growing up in the swamps of Central Florida, I killed my share.
Had a couple that were pretty dammed exciting at the time of the kill, now they are just more like interesting memories.

We had them all around us, always kept one in the freezer, just took them as needed. We called them wild boar but I suppose they were feral hogs, they were all black, they all had tusks.

I gonna bore ya with some details to set this up so you might understand how I wound up in the predicament I did.

At the ripe age of 14 I'd landed a job with a real estate developer that was subdivding a island in Tsala Apopka Lake.
The island had a small cabin on it that I'd cleaned up and setup as my personal camping/hunting hangout. By water, it was about 8 or 10 miles from our home.

I pulled up to 'my' cabin one day and there was a big f'in Lots For Sale sign nailed up, I gathered all my gear from the cabin, loaded my little skiff and hauled azz home.
2 hours later this realtor dude pulls up in our backyard in his boat claiming I'd stolen his stuff.
He'd seen me leaving with my loaded skiff and hunted me down.

We argued, we talked, 45 minutes later I was employed by him.

He had needs, he needed a barge that'd haul a tractor, I knew where one was scuttled in the swamp.
He needed someone wasn't afraid of snakes and spiders and such to help with his surveyors. They were just starting to break the island up into lots and there were 3 monuments they needed to find that were submerged due to high-water.

My job was to wade around barefooted in chest deep water feeling for these 3 inch round brass monuments with my feet while staying clear of the occasional snakes and gators that were there.

Nuttin' to it, I was his man.

I worked throughout the entire survey cutting through 6 to 10 foot high old growth palmetto creating acer and a half lots out of a 30 acer island.

Once the survey was complete we had to cut 10ft wide trails down every lot line and build docks were every other lot line met the water.
Other than the survey company, that was long gone, I was the only one that knew where everything was, he let me hire two guys to help and away we went cutting through the palmettos and building the docks.

I had to take my boat to work everyday, Tsala Apopka Lake is mostly made up of Sawgrass and shallow lillypads with a small percentage of open lakes.

Here is a image of the island we developed, the small kicker trails or canals tie everything together, the upper right of this image shows a canal disappearing into the hazy horizon, that's the one I traveled everyday to get to work.

[Linked Image from ap.rdcpix.com]

Still with me? lol

Every night I took home half a dozen machetes and two homelite chainsaws to sharpen for the following days work.

So it was a typical morning and I was rippin' down the kicker trails heading to work in my little 12ft flatbottom skiff and I came up on this nice 250 pound or so hog swimming the trail I was in.

I didn't have a gun, I kept a 12ga. on the island for a snake gun, all I had in the skiff was the machetes and chainsaws.

I got up beside him cutting him off from the shallow area beside the kicker trail and started hacking away with one of the freshly sharpened machetes.
The cuts were deep but he kept swimming and I kept circling him keeping him in deeper water and I kept hacking away at him.

He kept trying to get to the shallows where his rear legs could touch the bottom. If he were to make it, he'd be able to cover ground more quickly and there was a palmetto laden island about 50 yards away. The wounds I was inflicting on him would eventually be fatal but I didn't have the time to wait on him to bleed out and then drag him outta the dam palmetto.

I just couldn't get the machete through his backbone but I kept tryin', I was a 85 pound 14 year old skinny little fu_cker.

There just wasn't nothing vital on the back side of his backbone to stop him.

The hog started getting desperate and was trying to get in the skiff with me. If I let him hook a leg over the edge of my little boat he'd of turned me over for sure.

I had to keep a hand on the tiller to keep the boat maneuvered to both keep him in deep water and be able to keep him close enough to chop on while keeping him from trying to climb in with me.

We were both growing pretty tired of the entire event, him probably more so than me considering he had huge gashes in his back from his ears down to the hump on his back.

I only had one option at that point, I fired up one of the homelite chainsaws. It took a couple attempts but once I got that bar sunk in him good he was done.

I drug him over to the shore of the little island he'd been trying to get to and with the boat tipped on its side I was able to wrestle him in and off to work I went.

The other guys were already on the island waiting on me to show up with the tools when I arrived.
They were giving me some odd looks as I pulled up to the dock, they were like 'dude you're all bloody', that chainsaw had me covered with blood spray. I was on a bit of a adrenal rush I guess and really hadn't taken notice.

Jumped in the lake and cleaned up and off to work I went.

Must of been a advanced class at the Chainsaw College

That story needs to be published somewhere. Reminds me a little of a book that I read like forty years ago titled The Witchery of Archery.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Anyone who has hunted hogs with dogs has stories, some can be really horrific. My best one with almost the right outcome involved water also. We had a good boar bayed up on a canal bank so I had my catch dog on a leash running getting pulled to the action. About that time the boar breaks cover heading for the canal so I turned Spook loose on him. Well they both made it into the canal and the hogs front leg got in between the dogs cut collar and body. Needless to say I jumped - slipped into the water to save my dog with only a Buck knife on my side. Well I slid right to the hog and had no choice but to grab the hogs ear with my right hand and that pretty much took my ability to grab my knife out of the equation. I'm not actually sure how everything went down after that, but the hog got his footing tore loose and stomped me good and cut my left hand thumb up pretty good. As soon as the hog left the water the dogs bayed him up again and the rest is history.

Life is good live it while you can.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

This S.O.B. tried to eat one of my English Pointers, when we were hunting Quail. Rio7

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Winner of the "I'm more Rednecker than you" category!!!
Originally Posted by JeffA
Originally Posted by kenjs1

Reading that story anyone else have the Doors "The End" playing in their head?

After re-reading how I told the story I'd have to say more folks may have been hearing Dueling Banjos playing in the background.

Winner of the "I'm more Rednecker than you" category!!!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RIO7

This S.O.B. tried to eat one of my English Pointers, when we were hunting Quail. Rio7

Let's get a close up on that gun.

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I chase hogs every year in TX with archery equipment. We always give them time to bleed out and haven’t had a problem with a skewered hog. We have twice however had big boars find the hog or deer blood trails before us and go to town. On both occasions, the boar opened up the body cavity and ate all guts and organs. It even looked like the blood had been licked up. Hearing the grunting and tearing of flesh nearby is something. Truly a Hannibal Story. Big boars can be brutal.

I’ve often thought about those incidents as I claw my way through the Texas thorns at night leaving my own blood spoor, or when dragging out a downed animal. It reminds me I am alive:)

Last edited by elkaddict; 01/26/22.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

The Real Hawk Eye,

Got a pair of them,take your pick. Rio7

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

The Real Hawk Eye,

Those are nice, Blue! smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
The hammer on that top gun looks wonky.

I am MAGA.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I hit a decent sized hog with a 190 SMK out of a 300 WM one night at maybe 60 yards. It was a quartering away shot and when we went looking for it one of the ranchers who was with us got charged by it. He ended up putting 4-5 shots from his 1911 into and it died pretty much at his feet.

My ex brother in law who was working as a paramedic got a call one time to treat a guy who went into the brush after a pig. Pig came out of the brush right between the patients legs and hooked him on the inside of the thigh. Ex Brother in law saved him, but said it could of went either way.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

The Real Hawk Eye,

Very nice. What are we looking at?

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant

You get extra pints for spotted hogs!!!

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by elkaddict
I chase hogs every year in TX with archery equipment. We always give them time to bleed out and haven’t had a problem with a skewered hog. We have twice however had big boars find the hog or deer blood trails before us and go to town. On both occasions, the boar opened up the body cavity and ate all guts and organs. It even looked like the blood had been licked up. Hearing the grunting and tearing of flesh nearby is something. Truly a Hannibal Story. Big boars can be brutal.

I’ve often thought about those incidents as I claw my way through the Texas thorns at night leaving my own blood spoor, or when dragging out a downed animal. It reminds me I am alive:)

I’ve killed many with a bow, they die quick i I make a good shot.

Sometimes I don’t, don’t go look without shotgun and buckshot

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Hawkeye, You wanted a closer look at the pistol on the spotted pig, here's a closer look .45 LC's. Rio7

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The guys father watched him die, nothing could be worse than that… I grieve for the father and the family of this young man.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Hawkeye, You wanted a closer look at the pistol on the spotted pig, here's a closer look .45 LC's. Rio7

Maybe what brand?

Colt, USFA?

Excellent case colors! Nice stags too!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Maybe what brand?

Colt, USFA?

Excellent case colors! Nice stags too!

Yes. That's what I was asking for. I'm assuming either USFA or Standard Manufacturing. Not likely Colt, since the sides of the hammers are color case hardened and they haven't done that since the 19th Century.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Hawkeye, Sorry i misunderstood, Freedom Arms, Tuned and case hardened by Turnbull. Rio7

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
F'k a hog. The last thing that the last human will ever remember is a pig eating his guts

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Hawkeye, Sorry i misunderstood, Freedom Arms, Tuned and case hardened by Turnbull. Rio7

I never would have guessed. They look like SAA revolvers.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

464 members (160user, 22kHornet, 257man, 17CalFan, 22250rem, 10Glocks, 42 invisible), 1,802 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,874
Posts18,478,834
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.