Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
The last thing the last human will remember is a hog eating his guts. Good one.

That's all that will be left, hogs, and cockroaches.

GB1

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by JeffA
Originally Posted by kenjs1

Reading that story anyone else have the Doors "The End" playing in their head?

After re-reading how I told the story I'd have to say more folks may have been hearing Dueling Banjos playing in the background.

Good movie. Maybe a hog got Ned down?? Made him squeal like a pig!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hanco; 01/26/22.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by RIO7

Hawkeye, Sorry i misunderstood, Freedom Arms, Tuned and case hardened by Turnbull. Rio7

I never thought that Freedom Arms would build Single Action revolvers with a classic appearance. Even the shape of the top strap seems exactly like original Colts or their derivatives.

Elmer Keith
E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Italian hunter dies after suffering fatal bite from boar he shot: report

https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/italian-hunter-dies-boar

Explore the Fox News apps that are right for you at http://www.foxnews.com/apps-products/index.html.

Such a tragic event. I'd have made sure he can't move his body again before getting closer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ltppowell
F'k a hog. The last thing that the last human will ever remember is a pig eating his guts

Happened a lot during the Civil War. frown

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ElmerKeith
Originally Posted by RIO7

Hawkeye, Sorry i misunderstood, Freedom Arms, Tuned and case hardened by Turnbull. Rio7

I never thought that Freedom Arms would build Single Action revolvers with a classic appearance. Even the shape of the top strap seems exactly like original Colts or their derivatives.

Yeah, but look at the thickness of that top strap...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Not a expert on Colt single actions, but both of these shoot good enough to carry while hunting, that's all i care about. Rio7

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've been hooked on hog hunting since once charged me about 40 plus years ago. Folks here at our lease in Ga think I'm nuts because I prefer hunting them to deer. Taste better, too... smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

jorge1, There are a lot of hunters that would rather hunt and eat pigs than deer, Rio7

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

…and coyotes, there will also be coyotes.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

There was a good ol' boy in the little rural town in north Arkansas where I grew up who would say, "I ain't had this much fun since the hogs ate my little brother." Sometimes I think he meant it, too. grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Wild hog, especially a sow, is better than venison, and I love venison. Puy that ham on the smoker with some pecan wood. mmmmmgood!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Wild hog, especially a sow, is better than venison, and I love venison. Puy that ham on the smoker with some pecan wood. mmmmmgood!

You’re fuggin high

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by JeffA
Growing up in the swamps of Central Florida, I killed my share.
Had a couple that were pretty dammed exciting at the time of the kill, now they are just more like interesting memories.

We had them all around us, always kept one in the freezer, just took them as needed. We called them wild boar but I suppose they were feral hogs, they were all black, they all had tusks.

I gonna bore ya with some details to set this up so you might understand how I wound up in the predicament I did.

At the ripe age of 14 I'd landed a job with a real estate developer that was subdivding a island in Tsala Apopka Lake.
The island had a small cabin on it that I'd cleaned up and setup as my personal camping/hunting hangout. By water, it was about 8 or 10 miles from our home.

I pulled up to 'my' cabin one day and there was a big f'in Lots For Sale sign nailed up, I gathered all my gear from the cabin, loaded my little skiff and hauled azz home.
2 hours later this realtor dude pulls up in our backyard in his boat claiming I'd stolen his stuff.
He'd seen me leaving with my loaded skiff and hunted me down.

We argued, we talked, 45 minutes later I was employed by him.

He had needs, he needed a barge that'd haul a tractor, I knew where one was scuttled in the swamp.
He needed someone wasn't afraid of snakes and spiders and such to help with his surveyors. They were just starting to break the island up into lots and there were 3 monuments they needed to find that were submerged due to high-water.

My job was to wade around barefooted in chest deep water feeling for these 3 inch round brass monuments with my feet while staying clear of the occasional snakes and gators that were there.

Nuttin' to it, I was his man.

I worked throughout the entire survey cutting through 6 to 10 foot high old growth palmetto creating acer and a half lots out of a 30 acer island.

Once the survey was complete we had to cut 10ft wide trails down every lot line and build docks were every other lot line met the water.
Other than the survey company, that was long gone, I was the only one that knew where everything was, he let me hire two guys to help and away we went cutting through the palmettos and building the docks.

I had to take my boat to work everyday, Tsala Apopka Lake is mostly made up of Sawgrass and shallow lillypads with a small percentage of open lakes.

Here is a image of the island we developed, the small kicker trails or canals tie everything together, the upper right of this image shows a canal disappearing into the hazy horizon, that's the one I traveled everyday to get to work.

[Linked Image from ap.rdcpix.com]

Still with me? lol

Every night I took home half a dozen machetes and two homelite chainsaws to sharpen for the following days work.

So it was a typical morning and I was rippin' down the kicker trails heading to work in my little 12ft flatbottom skiff and I came up on this nice 250 pound or so hog swimming the trail I was in.

I didn't have a gun, I kept a 12ga. on the island for a snake gun, all I had in the skiff was the machetes and chainsaws.

I got up beside him cutting him off from the shallow area beside the kicker trail and started hacking away with one of the freshly sharpened machetes.
The cuts were deep but he kept swimming and I kept circling him keeping him in deeper water and I kept hacking away at him.

He kept trying to get to the shallows where his rear legs could touch the bottom. If he were to make it, he'd be able to cover ground more quickly and there was a palmetto laden island about 50 yards away. The wounds I was inflicting on him would eventually be fatal but I didn't have the time to wait on him to bleed out and then drag him outta the dam palmetto.

I just couldn't get the machete through his backbone but I kept tryin', I was a 85 pound 14 year old skinny little fu_cker.

There just wasn't nothing vital on the back side of his backbone to stop him.

The hog started getting desperate and was trying to get in the skiff with me. If I let him hook a leg over the edge of my little boat he'd of turned me over for sure.

I had to keep a hand on the tiller to keep the boat maneuvered to both keep him in deep water and be able to keep him close enough to chop on while keeping him from trying to climb in with me.

We were both growing pretty tired of the entire event, him probably more so than me considering he had huge gashes in his back from his ears down to the hump on his back.

I only had one option at that point, I fired up one of the homelite chainsaws. It took a couple attempts but once I got that bar sunk in him good he was done.

I drug him over to the shore of the little island he'd been trying to get to and with the boat tipped on its side I was able to wrestle him in and off to work I went.

The other guys were already on the island waiting on me to show up with the tools when I arrived.
They were giving me some odd looks as I pulled up to the dock, they were like 'dude you're all bloody', that chainsaw had me covered with blood spray. I was on a bit of a adrenal rush I guess and really hadn't taken notice.

Jumped in the lake and cleaned up and off to work I went.

What was the point in going through all of that? Seems a bit unhinged.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Seems like I remember reading about the same thing happening somewhere in the USA years ago.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Kill them all

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hanco; 01/27/22.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

391 members (160user, 17CalFan, 22250rem, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 25aught6, 33 invisible), 1,739 guests, and 1,064 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,874
Posts18,478,810
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.